Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel water filter warning light

Patrick1234

I have a 2009 Toyota auris and the fuel water filter warning light has come on and was just wondering do these cars automatically empty the water and if not how can this be done??

I'm guessing 1AD-FTV engine?  2.0 D4D

Yes she is a 2l d4d.. I had her on the computer diagnosis and no faults are coming up and before that the warning light was on and went off again

There is a "tap" in the bottom of the fuel filter to drain off the water see your owners manual for instructions.

Your Battery light is on as well ?

1 minute ago, Devon Aygo said:

There is a "tap" in the bottom of the fuel filter to drain off the water see your owners manual for instructions.

The manual says. Consult dealer

Both the Battery light & fuel filter lights on together are a symptom of a low voltage issue where either your Battery or alternator are faulty

As Devoy Aygo says, check alternator, star the car, then test the Battery voltage, should be ~14V

If you want to try to fix the filter issue yourself, here's the manual for replacement, at no.5 there is the tap mentioned above >>> http://www.autocats.ws/manual/toyota/auris_corolla_zze-zr-nde-ade/rm04f0e/repair2/html/frame_rm000002yey000x.html

Yes Battery light is on there is alot of rust around the terminals so I'll clean it up and see does that help.. both the lights would come on sometimes an then go off why would they no just stay on??

Guess you're one of the rare ones that prefer car to be broken instead of working...

Either clean the terminals as is, or if you take them off, you can give them a good cleaning, i would usually apply some grease to the terminals, then re tighten.

If you disconnect the Battery, you must let the car idle for 10 minutes or so to re-learn idle, then take it for a drive.

3 minutes ago, furtula said:

Guess you're one of the rare ones that prefer car to be broken instead of working...

Either clean the terminals as is, or if you take them off, you can give them a good cleaning, i would usually apply some grease to the terminals, then re tighten.

If you disconnect the battery, you must let the car idle for 10 minutes or so to re-learn idle, then take it for a drive.

Haha I'm just going by the warnings coming up on the dash lol.. I'm currently in the process of cleaning Battery terminals and testing the altenator.. if that works I'll be happy but the question is why would the fuel filter light keep coming on when started and then go off after a while?? Doesn't make sense cause if there was something in the fuel filter (ie accumulation of water and dirt) why wouldn't it just stay on?? 

These 'water in fuel' sensors often work by measuring the resistance between two probes immersed in the liquid in the fuel filter housing, the logic being that water has a lower resistance than diesel.I think fluctuations in voltage in the electrical system can fool the system into thinking that the resistance has dropped when it hasn't, and flash up a 'water in fuel warning' when the real reason is an electrical issue somewhere else, eg alternator or Battery terminals.

Ok I have checked the altenator and I think it's done as it's the Battery is draining and there is only 11.7 coming from the Battery.. I also have another question I took the sensor off the fuel filter and forgot to out it back in.. I stated the car and the engine light came on.. I put the sensor wire back in and this didn't resolve the problem.. would this trip the check engine light?? If so would I just have to get it reset using computer diagnostic tool?? Thanks 

Ok I have checked the altenator and I think it's done as it's the Battery is draining and there is only 11.7 coming from the Battery when car is ticking over.. I also have another question I took the sensor off the fuel filter and forgot to out it back in.. I stated the car and the engine light came on.. I put the sensor wire back in and this didn't resolve the problem.. would this trip the check engine light?? If so would I just have to get it reset using computer diagnostic tool?? Thanks 

If you have diagnostic tool, you can clear it, if not, you can try disconnecting the Battery for some time to clear it, or it might go away after a short drive.

20 hours ago, Patrick1234 said:

Snapchat-1713878135.jpg

Thank you for this. I had wondered what that particular warning light was for on my Avensis and hadn't been able to find out until now.

Does your alternator seem to be spinning okay, if you can see it? No sign of the belt slipping?

1 hour ago, paul9 said:

Thank you for this. I had wondered what that particular warning light was for on my Avensis and hadn't been able to find out until now.

Does your alternator seem to be spinning okay, if you can see it? No sign of the belt slipping?

For your information and everyone else on this forum.. I changed the fuel filter and there was no water visible and I didn't see any dirt etc.. I can to the conclusion that the altenator brushes are off when spinning ie the get some contact enough to knock off the filter and Battery light.. the altenator is reading 12.3v so it is the altenator.. the belt is spinning and there is no smell. So at some stage I'll put a new alternator in but it's not a major issue.. (nice to know people get useful Information from these forums).. thanks 

When charging, the Battery voltage should be at around 14V. If i was getting 12.3V out of the alternator, it means it's not really charging much, as the full Battery should be around 12.8 or so so at full capacity.

I'd replace it soon.

1 hour ago, furtula said:

When charging, the battery voltage should be at around 14V. If i was getting 12.3V out of the alternator, it means it's not really charging much, as the full battery should be around 12.8 or so so at full capacity.

I'd replace it soon.

That's the plan

• 3 weeks later...

The problem was the altenator.. just to let you all know..

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links