Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 2.0 D4D not starting after head gasket replacement

Safi

Here are some photos from the engine in my car from the head gasket job. You can see the carbon build up on the pistons and the gasket notches on the right hand side. Then with everything cleaned up with new gasket, and the head itself after skimming. You can see the pistons are machined in places to allow clearance with the valves, and the head surface is completely flat so each time you skim a little off the head the valves will be effectively lower, closer to the pistons, hence the need to make up the difference with a thicker gasket.

It would also be worth getting the compression figures off the mechanic and comparing them to spec. Standard is 362 psi, minimum is 320 psi and there should be no more than 71psi difference between each cylinder.

DSCF3976.JPG

DSCF3983.JPG

DSCF3985.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

On 6/27/2019 at 9:41 PM, Kennycab said:

Here are some photos from the engine in my car from the head gasket job. You can see the carbon build up on the pistons and the gasket notches on the right hand side. Then with everything cleaned up with new gasket, and the head itself after skimming. You can see the pistons are machined in places to allow clearance with the valves, and the head surface is completely flat so each time you skim a little off the head the valves will be effectively lower, closer to the pistons, hence the need to make up the difference with a thicker gasket.

It would also be worth getting the compression figures off the mechanic and comparing them to spec. Standard is 362 psi, minimum is 320 psi and there should be no more than 71psi difference between each cylinder.

DSCF3976.JPG

DSCF3983.JPG

DSCF3985.JPG

Hi All, 

Thank you for all your input., apologies for being quite dont had much to report back.....

So the current situation is he has not been able to give me any figures, however has got is started by removing some  two sensors pipe to the DPF  near the timing cover and also opened the from EGR mounting from the front Exhaust, theres lots of smoke as it doesnt go thru the Exhaust, so he is saying that the  DPF  is blocked, when the car was running the Head gasket leaking and the extract from the Exhaust was left in the DPF, and when the Head was removed and took time to refit it back the waste has , dried up in the DPF, he said he as tried to clean this but without any joy whilst in situ. So now he will remove the DPF we will establish if blocked or another red herring!!! 

If he loosens the DPF from engine area and then blew air from rear of car exhaust outlet inwards towards the DPF,  will this prove the DPF is clear or blocked iof he can feel air coming through or is blocked 

How long does  take to remove the DPF and refit , can this be cleaned with some cleaner or do I need to replace it?  Should I look at secondhand DPF , at what cost and if so what needs to be done to the ECU? 

Many thanks for all your support

Kind Regards

Safi

Hi Safi.

To remove, clean, lubricate and refit the DPF is at the most a 2 hour job. 

A can of carburettor cleaner does the job to remove the carbon, gunge etc that accumulates and to check it is not seized.

It's an easy job.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Much appreciate it , for the labour time on DPF remove clean and refit.

Kind Regards

Safi

On 7/10/2019 at 7:35 PM, Mike169 said:

A can of carburettor cleaner does the job to remove the carbon, gunge etc that accumulates and to check it is not seized.

Is it really so simple to clean DPF? I have read "horror stories" about expensive replacing when DPF is blocked...

Anyway, I find it hard to believe that head gasket leak would have caused DPF blockage. In this case the car has been working fine before hg-job; no warning lights, etc.

• Like 1

Hi Safi.

If you go onto YouTube, just type in 'cleaning dpf on a Toyota Aventis 2012' in it's search bar, I found the 2nd link down the most informative. I tried putting the link on here but I got a warning that using YouTube links on here are banned by YouTube. 😮

It's an easy job.

Mike.

14 hours ago, Mike169 said:

I tried putting the link on here but I got a warning that using YouTube links on here are banned by YouTube. 😮

It's an easy job.

Mike.

There's a setting you can use on YouTube to stop embedded links (where the video shows up on the forum page) but you can choose to post the video as a normal clickable hypertext link. The forum post editor lets you choose which to use.

Hi Paul.

Cold you explain your comment in greater detail please, i.e. what's a Hypertext link, where is it etc and do you mean the forum editor on this site and if so is that the moderator. 

You are taking me to places I don't know about basically.

Many thanks, Mike.

A hyperlink is a link you can click on to take you to another document, picture, webpage or similar. Such as www.duckduckgo.com

The forum editor is basically the text box you type your forum post into, but it has some advanced editing features, such as to change your text style, post pictures, etc.

forum.png

Alternatively,  could you post who posted the video "cleaning  dpf on a  toyota avensis 2012".

I couldn't find one with carbon cleaner. 

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I think you might be referring to myself.

If you log into YouTube and just type in the search bar what you want to see it should come up as say a 5 minute video.

I tried to post the link but I got a warning message from YouTube they they do not allow using their material basically to be copy and pasted onto another commercial site.

If you still can't find it private message me your personal email and I am sure it will work that way, I can only try.

Basically all you need is a can of carburettor cleaner and an old toothbrush.

Regards, Mike.

I was more interested in the whole procedure, typed in your search criteria, the hundreds of links were not even close to 2012 apart from an Egr clean.

However, this thread 

Was informative, now I need to find the 5th valve (2adt-ftv),  but notwithstanding could you just tell me who produced the ytube video, it's easier to search by author.!

Like this screenshot>>

As you can see every tube has a title and the tuber who uploaded it.

Rgds

Screenshot_20190717-020223.png

Many thanks to all especially Mel for the prev. posted thread, long live Avensis! 

Well mine anyway 217000km and sweating.

Hillbillie 

Hello fellow members 

Sadly the Toyota has been pushed on a slow repair line, I  have attached a video clip taken by the Mechanic, who has taken out the DPF and showing engine running with an adapted exhaust for test purpose. He Connected the DPF as the sensor pipe and cables required. As you can see there   is a lot of smoke and I suppose thats the purpose of the DPF to clean out and send through the full length of exhaust cleaner hopefully.  Can anyone comment on the level of the engine noise after a head gasket repair.

He has asked for the DPF to be cleaned , he tried cleaning but was not successful in starting the car,    now he is saying its blocked., though when I asked him to put water one end and see if it flows the other end, the water did pour out  not at the same rate  but flowed out,so I now confused , if the commercial DPF cleaning will help ?

Kind Regards

Safi

I don't expect the smoke  that much coming out like that. I have seen Toyota d4d engine run on a deleted DPF  and there is no significant difference to a human eye, i.e no smoke.

Hi.

I have to agree with Mars and I am unsure if it is the DPF but they do also seize up so did your mechanic check to see it  is working in movement.

To be honest a clean usually sorts them out but if you contact The Parts King, aka Kingo, aka John Devlin, he is on this site but I can give you contact details if needed as I believe a new DPF isn't too dear to buy but looking at your exhaust fumes I think your cars needs what's known a 'sniff' test to check test to check the replacement head gasket and the skimmed cylinder head which incidentally Toyota say should not be done, the skimming that is.

I can only wish you luck buddy but I see your bank account going down, lol.

Kind regards, Mike.

Any one found a video for this, (2AD-FT preferably) , although I'd like to remove the air-intake manifold but have no idea how complicated it is?

Great pics

Rgds 

After watching Safi´s video I have to say that idling sound is quite ok but revving sound is terrible.

The amount of smoke is really too high!  And the color of smoke is abnormal?

I wish I could tell what is wrong with this engine but I´m sorry I can´t.

My cautious guess:  coolant is leaking inside cylinder(s) causing that grey smoke and bad sound?

I can't see a blocked DPF "all of a sudden" happening just as the head gasket was replaced. I am thinking something has been broken, like a wire, sensor, or similar. i have known people snap the 5th injector when taking a head off, or broken a wire to a sensor when it has not been unplugged. Take a look at the SCV valve and connections 

Usually, smoking so badly would indicate incomplete combustion, so possibly a timing or mixture problem?

Far too much diesel no wonder the for blocked so fast. Can't hear the turbo spool I g up. Any means of checking charge pressure

Hello fellow members 

The follow up after been told  DPF was faulty, I took it to a DPF cleaning Company in Crewe, as I was going there I also took a second DPf from a Toyota Breakers who has one from a 2011 model and of same spec with  alleged 35K, so armed with 2 DPFs, showed to the Team member at Crewe, he said mine as was damaged during a local clean , but the second one he cleaned and said its should be fine.

So this morning I took the Good unit and my Mechanic fitted it , originally he had to take out the Drive shaft to remove the faulty DPF it in the first instance, not sure how long that would have taken, any way to  fit the replacement didnt take too long, so now the test to get the Car started, it took a long time and lots of Cranking to start, eventually it started with lots of smoke , a mixutre of Grey then white and settled to white , he left it running for some 5 to 10 Mins, lots of water on the floor and it transpired it was from the DPF, this was also running part thru the Exhaust system which was not  connected to the DPF and the other on the outer lower side of the car .Upon revving there was lots of water at the rear end of the Exhaust similar to a Petrol car, which I guess is  possibly due to condensation, ( Can some one Comment).  Initially there was a lot of sound and erratic ideal around 600 rpm and this reduced as the Engine was running and getting warm.

The DPF was glowing like in the pictures,  am not sure if this was due to the Exhaust not connected or it just is like that , I have attached two pictures taken , please give me your comments , Picture taken  from below the Car and the other from the side of the car looking at the DPF 

He was going to put the Car back together and was going to test it. I have just had a call to say I can collect the car which i will do tomorrow am.

Please advice what I should be looking for and other than smooth ride like before the HG repair. Should  I ask for any readings now the car is running, if he put his computer on what should I be looking for.?

Many thanks for all your kind support and advice.

Kind Regards

Safi

DPF glowing with engine running 2.jpg

Avensis D4D DPF with engine running 1.jpg

On 7/23/2019 at 8:27 PM, +robster+ said:

Far too much diesel no wonder the for blocked so fast. Can't hear the turbo spool I g up. Any means of checking charge pressure

Hello All

I went to collect the car yesterday after been told on Tues 24th July  @ 6pm that it ready, excitedly I went along on Wednesday, to find that he is now saying the Turbo is whining and needs a replacement or repaired, I am now totally lost, as this was tested by a Turbo company and was ok with no play and spinning fine.

The turbo company wanted to know the oil pressure which at Idle 2 Bars, 30psi and revving 3 bars 45 psi .  He also did ask how much oil was going to the turbo but the mechanic did not answer, guessing 250ml  the not sure what that means.

Can anyone tell me how long to take the turbo out and refit, bearing in mind the wiper motor panel was not fitted

What would cause the turbo to whine ? and what checks can I do to ensure that the replacement will not fail,again.?

Many thanks again

Safi

I think the big elephant sat in the corner is asking how much you have spent so far and how much would a used engine cost and normally this is the best option rather than rebuilding these engines ,as I don't think I've heard of one that's lasted a few months after expensive rebuild . I feel sorry for you but you may need to throw in the towel and admit defeat for your own mental health wise

• Like 2

• 2 months later...