Safi

Avensis 2.0 D4D not starting after head gasket replacement

Here are some photos from the engine in my car from the head gasket job. You can see the carbon build up on the pistons and the gasket notches on the right hand side. Then with everything cleaned up with new gasket, and the head itself after skimming. You can see the pistons are machined in places to allow clearance with the valves, and the head surface is completely flat so each time you skim a little off the head the valves will be effectively lower, closer to the pistons, hence the need to make up the difference with a thicker gasket.

It would also be worth getting the compression figures off the mechanic and comparing them to spec. Standard is 362 psi, minimum is 320 psi and there should be no more than 71psi difference between each cylinder.

DSCF3976.JPG

DSCF3983.JPG

DSCF3985.JPG

On 6/27/2019 at 9:41 PM, Kennycab said:

Here are some photos from the engine in my car from the head gasket job. You can see the carbon build up on the pistons and the gasket notches on the right hand side. Then with everything cleaned up with new gasket, and the head itself after skimming. You can see the pistons are machined in places to allow clearance with the valves, and the head surface is completely flat so each time you skim a little off the head the valves will be effectively lower, closer to the pistons, hence the need to make up the difference with a thicker gasket.

It would also be worth getting the compression figures off the mechanic and comparing them to spec. Standard is 362 psi, minimum is 320 psi and there should be no more than 71psi difference between each cylinder.

DSCF3976.JPG

DSCF3983.JPG

DSCF3985.JPG

Hi All, 

Thank you for all your input., apologies for being quite dont had much to report back.....

So the current situation is he has not been able to give me any figures, however has got is started by removing some  two sensors pipe to the DPF  near the timing cover and also opened the from EGR mounting from the front Exhaust, theres lots of smoke as it doesnt go thru the Exhaust, so he is saying that the  DPF  is blocked, when the car was running the Head gasket leaking and the extract from the Exhaust was left in the DPF, and when the Head was removed and took time to refit it back the waste has , dried up in the DPF, he said he as tried to clean this but without any joy whilst in situ. So now he will remove the DPF we will establish if blocked or another red herring!!! 

If he loosens the DPF from engine area and then blew air from rear of car exhaust outlet inwards towards the DPF,  will this prove the DPF is clear or blocked iof he can feel air coming through or is blocked 

How long does  take to remove the DPF and refit , can this be cleaned with some cleaner or do I need to replace it?  Should I look at secondhand DPF , at what cost and if so what needs to be done to the ECU? 

Many thanks for all your support

Kind Regards

Safi

Hi Safi.

To remove, clean, lubricate and refit the DPF is at the most a 2 hour job. 

A can of carburettor cleaner does the job to remove the carbon, gunge etc that accumulates and to check it is not seized.

It's an easy job.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Much appreciate it , for the labour time on DPF remove clean and refit.

Kind Regards

Safi

On 7/10/2019 at 7:35 PM, Mike169 said:

A can of carburettor cleaner does the job to remove the carbon, gunge etc that accumulates and to check it is not seized.

Is it really so simple to clean DPF? I have read "horror stories" about expensive replacing when DPF is blocked...

Anyway, I find it hard to believe that head gasket leak would have caused DPF blockage. In this case the car has been working fine before hg-job; no warning lights, etc.

Hi Safi.

If you go onto YouTube, just type in 'cleaning dpf on a Toyota Aventis 2012' in it's search bar, I found the 2nd link down the most informative. I tried putting the link on here but I got a warning that using YouTube links on here are banned by YouTube. 😮

It's an easy job.

Mike.

14 hours ago, Mike169 said:

I tried putting the link on here but I got a warning that using YouTube links on here are banned by YouTube. 😮

It's an easy job.

Mike.

There's a setting you can use on YouTube to stop embedded links (where the video shows up on the forum page) but you can choose to post the video as a normal clickable hypertext link. The forum post editor lets you choose which to use.

Hi Paul.

Cold you explain your comment in greater detail please, i.e. what's a Hypertext link, where is it etc and do you mean the forum editor on this site and if so is that the moderator. 

You are taking me to places I don't know about basically.

Many thanks, Mike.

A hyperlink is a link you can click on to take you to another document, picture, webpage or similar. Such as www.duckduckgo.com

The forum editor is basically the text box you type your forum post into, but it has some advanced editing features, such as to change your text style, post pictures, etc.

forum.png

Alternatively,  could you post who posted the video "cleaning  dpf on a  toyota avensis 2012".

I couldn't find one with carbon cleaner. 

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I think you might be referring to myself.

If you log into YouTube and just type in the search bar what you want to see it should come up as say a 5 minute video.

I tried to post the link but I got a warning message from YouTube they they do not allow using their material basically to be copy and pasted onto another commercial site.

If you still can't find it private message me your personal email and I am sure it will work that way, I can only try.

Basically all you need is a can of carburettor cleaner and an old toothbrush.

Regards, Mike.