Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Noise - 1.4d4d - 2016

Sousa Lisbon

Hello to you all,

I need some help, there are some issues on my car and I'm very carefull with it. They were mentioned on the normal maintenance (toyota dealership) and nothing has been found...

With the car already warm, I hear a knocking on the engine (like a tu, tu, tu....) when I remove my foot off the accelerator with the gear engaged (normally 4th or 5th). Pressing the clutch and releasing it after a few seconds makes the noise disappears. This is normal?  I do not know much about mechanics, could be it unburned fuel or exhaust gas that does not come out properly ...? It seems to be easier to ear if the aceleration given before is strong...

It is also normal to have an acceleration range, near 80 or 90 km/h in fifth gear, where the engine vibrates for a few seconds...? 

The car has strength, works right, starts always at first, it goes perfectly well and it never turned on the engine light.

I do short trips during the week, except at the weekend, and sometimes the filter regeneration process kicks in.

Could it be the DPF or the EGR? It only has 40.000km...

Thank you for your help.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have the same "problem", with the exact same symptoms, the Auris has 50.000km.

I made a complain to the Toyota dealership, no erros found on ECU. They have made a reprogramming of diesel injectors but the noise still there.

The sound looks like a retarder of trucks..Is this noise normal?

Anyone else with the same problem?

Thank you.

Does the issue also disappear for you, if you hold the clutch?

Can the issue be heard at speed only, or also during idle?

We need more info.

If I hold the clutch the noise disappear.

And only is heard on idle, when I remove my foot off the accelerator with the gear engaged.

Thank you

It sounds to me like DMF premature failure, not 100% sure but with that symptoms it’s very likely. I would suggest to research some videos online regarding that issue with other manufacturers like VAG, they are very popular with that  problems especially in TDI engines. Check if it sounds same or similar. 

Good luck 

Hello,

In the last annual maintenance I was able to talk to the Toyota mechanic who was handling the car.

The mechanic mentioned that it is the operating noise of the engine vacuum pump and is perfectly normal ...

Does anyone have any technical knowledge that can confirm this issue. I never thought this vacuum pump had an audible noise...

Thank you.

4 hours ago, furtula said:

Is the sound something like on this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXGnINAqkOE

Furtula,

In my case it's not the same noise, not even close.

It's like a tuh tuh tuh tuh.... very quick and it stays for a few seconds. Pressing the clutch or the throttle it immediately stops.

Unfortunately it's hard to catch. Only if a recorder was placed in the engine compartment... when we pass near a wall its easier to catch.

Thanks.

Can you make some record and then post it here, may give us more clue. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links