Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Winter rims for the new Corolla 2019 1.8TS

highlander0681

Hello

I got the new 2019 Corolla (1.8 TS) and it came with the following tires/rims written on the technical document: 225/45R17 91W; 17x7 1/2J ET40 C1 C

The car also came with a free set of winter tires of the same size, for which I would like to buy another set of rims so that i don't have to remove the tires every winter.

The original ones from the dealer are very expensive so I'd like to buy something aftermarket.

I have the following things unclear:

- what is 1/2J (i've only heard of 7J)

- what is the size of the center bore (and does it matter)?

-distance between bolts? (i assume 114,3)

- what is C1 C

- could I find metal rims with this specs or just alloy?

- links/examples?

Any help is highly appreciated 🙂

thank you

Can't help with most of your queries, but you need to read the 1/2J as 7 & 1/2J (7.5J) which is the 7.5" nominal rim width of your 17" diameter wheel.  Wheel rim widths go up in increments of 1/2" (seeming to get wider and wider as the years go on!)

Yes, the centre bore does matter.  It's basically what locates the wheel centrally on the hub, and is in part a safety feature (as I understand it).  This means the wheel nuts just bolt the wheel on to the hub.

Martin, thanks a lot. I was searching for 7J... 

As regards steel/alloy, alloys will be more expensive and will suffer more from the salt on the roads.  You could get plastic wheel trims for the steel wheels, if concerned about how the car looks,  Also comes to mind that you'd need to check the wheel bolt requirements, as I know from the past that some Citroens had longer bolts for the alloys, and the bolt's shoulder was different. 

May be worth waiting for replies on the Forum, as to whether some other model of Toyota has wheels in the size (and bore) that you want, in which case you might pick some up second-hand.  You might find that your winter tyres would be Ok on a slightly narrower rim.  There are tables available which suggest what tyre width suits which width of rim.

ET 40 is the wheel's offset on the hub.  If you deviate from this, you need to check the wheel doesn't foul the suspension/brake calipers/wheel arch.  On a previous car, I did deviate slightly, only satisfying myself that it was OK by fitting the wheel to the car to try it out.

The dealer's prices are so high that i can get 3-4 rims of an aftermarket brand for the price of one form Toyota (390 euros vs 100 euros). So I don't care too much about the damage done by salt 😄 I know the steel is to be preferred for winter, but we don't get much snow here so it does not matter much for me.

I also thought of the bolts being different but I really don't know how I could find that out. I asked the technician today and he even gave me the wrong offset so I wont trust much what they tell me so far.

I couldn't find any steel rims so far and it's possible they will never produce it, but have found several alloy ones, give the distance between bolts is 114,3 as I assume. I just need to find out the CB and if the bolts I have would fit...

And I will leave the pressure sensor to be the last on the list... Btw now that i think about it... Can the car learn more than 4 tire-pressure sensors? Would be a pain in the ***** having to reprogram them every time when changing the wheels...

I am fairly certain that these will be 5x114.3 with a bore of 60.1. These are the same as the Auris & the 2009> Avensis T27 (also earlier 2.4 petrol & 2.2 diesel Avensis T25) & certainly some RAV4s. You will need to check offsets (although if you are close you'll be OK). Wheels from those won't be type-approved for your car though (at least in the UK some insurers will care about that, some won't as long as the specs. match).

Don't know what C1 C refers to, sorry.

Steel & alloy wheels usually require different bolts or you get wear issues (they may also require a different seat flat v cone).

My Avensis allows for the car learning 2 sets of TPMS so that you can easily swap between summer & winter - hopefully Corolla similar. I just run my winters without & put up with the warning light (i wasn't paying the money for another 4 Toyota oem sensors). When it comes time for it to be checked for it's MOT it will be on the summers with working TPMS.

• Like 1

Yes, you are right. I found in the manual that Corolla also can save 2 set of sensors. But it's not those that are too expensive... And they are available on eBay for cheap..

Toyota support came back with the specs for the rims. No confirmation on the CB thought...

Tire Size: 225/45R17 
Wheel Size: 17 X 7 1/2 J 
Pitch Circle Diameter mm (in.): 114.3 (4.5) 
Inset mm (in.): 40 (1.6)  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links