Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla E120 Gearbox

angryengineer

Dear Forum Readers,

I own a 2005 1.4 D4D Corolla E120-series saloon (facelift version).

1. How may I discover the gearbox model code if, for example, I wished to replace it's clutch?

2. If the gearbox was completely drained of all it's oil, what would be the volume of this oil?

4. When I purchased the car a few months ago my mechanic opened the gearbox drain plug and approximately 2 litres of black red-tinged mildly viscous oil flowed out. Does the colour indicate anything in particular?

5. My mechanic refilled the gearbox with 2 litres of Castrol Syntrans 75W90 API GL-4 Gear Oil (fully synthetic). Is the oil required the API GL-4 or API GL-5 standard?

Thank you for sharing any wisdom 🙂.

GL4 or GL5 can be used and your mechanic was correct with the 1.9 ltrs of oil.

The old oil does look dirty but it depends on how long its been in use, years and miles done.

Typically the drain plug is magnetic so he should have noticed a build up of metal particles on it if anything was wrong in that respect.

You normally buy a clutch based on your reg number and possibly the car model no. or Vin no. 

Replacing your clutch by yourself or by your  mechanic ?

Hi oldcodger 🙂,

Thank you for kindly responding to my queries.

I'm not replacing the clutch now but I want to know how I would be able to specify the correct clutch kit. I tend to try to buy directly from manufacturer so as to eliminate the markup associated with retail sellers.

The drain plug was clear of any debris when he examined it.

I've read that API GL-5 gear oils can damage "yellow" metals in the gearbox.

1 hour ago, angryengineer said:

Hi oldcodger 🙂,

Thank you for kindly responding to my queries.

I'm not replacing the clutch now but I want to know how I would be able to specify the correct clutch kit. I tend to try to buy directly from manufacturer so as to eliminate the markup associated with retail sellers.

Did not think the big name manufacturers would deal with joe public for one off purchases ?

Most will have an online catalogue  which again are typically referenced by the reg no etc as mentioned before.

eg  - https://aftermarket.zf.com/go/en/sachs/products/cars-and-vans/clutch-systems/

1 hour ago, angryengineer said:

The drain plug was clear of any debris when he examined it.

I've read that API GL-5 gear oils can damage "yellow" metals in the gearbox.

For exact oil types and capacities refer to your Toyota user manual as I do not have the 1.4 D specs, only the 2.0 D and petrols.

3 hours ago, oldcodger said:

Did not think the big name manufacturers would deal with joe public for one off purchases ?

Most will have an online catalogue  which again are typically referenced by the reg no etc as mentioned before.

eg  - https://aftermarket.zf.com/go/en/sachs/products/cars-and-vans/clutch-systems/

For exact oil types and capacities refer to your Toyota user manual as I do not have the 1.4 D specs, only the 2.0 D and petrols.

Dear oldcodger 🙂,

Thank you for responding to my queries.

I try to avoid on-street retail car parts-accessories stores as some can add an unpleasantly large markup to the cost of what they actually paid for it e.g. a clutch kit. Paying for this often ridiculous markup winds me up!!!

I am an engineer & it is important for me to perform preventative maintenance to ensure my car is available for me to use when I need it. I'm also interested in understanding the "Toyota way" of engineering quality such that many of their vehicle's reliability is outstanding relative to their competitors e.g. Alfa Romeo, Ford, Volkswagen etc. So, as such, I'm actively performing an engineering study of the car!!!

I tend to do my research online - prior to a part failing - to source the part from an online retailer that I'm happy enough to be sure that they would not supply conterfeit parts, & are basically honest. This usually means the selection of UK- or Germany-based online retailers (I live in Ireland).

In the case of a clutch kit I'd probably be looking for a LUK professional-grade kit coming with a relatively large milage warranty. A Toyota main dealer quoted €34 for a fuel filter so I'm guessing that their price for a clutch kit would not be particularly enticing... One component of measuring "quality" is its cost. In this sense Toyota Main Dealer parts - even if they are well made - are, in my opinion, ultimately of low quality relative to other aftermarket component suppliers e.g. LUK 🙂.

You can find more details of your car from here if you really want detained info - https://www.toyota-tech.eu/OnlineSubscriptions.aspx

For some reason the Haynes manuals cover the 1.4/1.6 petrol and 2.0 diesel but not your 1.4 D , though most other things should be the same.

Assume you have got or downloaded Toyotas User manual that has a lot of service details / lubricants/fuses/ bulbs etc  https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eManual

I just use decent quality standard parts, like a Luk clutch, but other than that and standard service parts theres thankfully little going wrong considering its age and mileage.

Just be aware that  there are a lot of 'white box'   fake clutch kits out there for the big names like Sachs and Luk, they even have web pages telling you how to check you have bought a genuine one.