Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clear oil

peter.ling24@gmail.com

Hi all,

Those of you who have read my struggle recently to remove the sump, know that is was finally removed and put back by my local Toyota dealership.

The strange thing is, is that I have just checked the oil level and the oil is pristinely clear.

I am so surprised!

As you know, diesel oil gets discoloured very quickly even after a few miles.

Since having the car it has new oil and filter every year. The mileage for the year is usually 3,000.Yet after just a few miles the oil is usually black.

So my question is, how come the the oil is totally clear and I have driven it to town and back several times?

Listers Toyota said that they cleaned the inside of the sump, I saw it, and it was spotless.

Could this be the reason why the oil is so clean?

Puzzled!

Regards

Peter

My synthetic oil is staying clear (and very hard to read on the dipstick!) for quite a while. That is with just a bottle of STP flush at change time, and a new Bosch filter. The first oil I took out when I got the car was nasty, though. Them cleaning your sump, and probably your strainer, would help quite a bit, if you have seen the crud that can build up in there over the years.

As you rightly say. Peter, engine oil in a diesel will get dirtier much quicker then on a petrol engined car. Your assumption is probably right as well. As the dealer had the sump off they took the opportunity to clean the inside of it. Just draining the oil will not give that effect, just shows (or not) what residue remains. A flushing oil may help at engine oil change times, it will circulate the engine and help clear somewhat the oil ways as well- you can imagine how dirt they get, potentially blocking oil ways and thus greater chance of causing engine damage.  I assume as technology has increased there are more efficient ways of keeping the inside of an engine clean, like there are more efficient ways to lubricate an engine, and lets facew it, taking a sump off at every oil change is not really practical, you had to do it for other reasons.

Diesel engines suffer with sooting of the oil due to blowby. The soot is fine black particles less than 1 micron in size.  Its important to keep the soot particles in suspension in the oil so that they don't accumulate and cause damage and blockages. For that reason dispersants are added to the oil.  Black oil is a good thing because it means the dispersants are working and the soot will be carried out at the oil change.

A good clean of the sump will mean your new oil stays clear a bit longer - but it will go black again in time.

Hi guys,

Appreciate your reply's and knowledge.

Paul, your so right, it's really difficult to read the dip stick.

Jim, good point about the oil is doing its job if it's black.

Thanks to you all.

Peter

A tip to help read the dipstick is to use a piece of tissue or kitchen roll. Remove dipstick and press the bottom end from tip to upper mark against the tissue then look at the staining left behind, compare against the upper and lower marks on the dipstick.

• Thanks 1

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the tip.

I'll do this.

Regards 

Peter

When I serviced my Peugeot 107 I used Petronas Syntium for the first time, and about 13 months later I checked the oil (not the only time I did that by the way!) and it was like new. The car is regularly ragged to hell when I drive it as the wife only does short journeys. What's significant about this is that I've used Castrol in that engine, Total, even Toyota's specific oil and all of them by the end of the year have gone dark brown/black. But for whatever reason, this Syntium stuff still looks fairly new.

So it could be the brand of oil? Are you using Syntium?

13 hours ago, mickburkesnr said:

When I serviced my Peugeot 107 I used Petronas Syntium for the first time, and about 13 months later I checked the oil (not the only time I did that by the way!) and it was like new. The car is regularly ragged to hell when I drive it as the wife only does short journeys. What's significant about this is that I've used Castrol in that engine, Total, even Toyota's specific oil and all of them by the end of the year have gone dark brown/black. But for whatever reason, this Syntium stuff still looks fairly new.

So it could be the brand of oil? Are you using Syntium?

I don't know much about Petronas oils (a Malaysian company?).  It may be that they have skimped on the additive pack to save money and it has limited dispersant in it.  I'd go back to a premium brand oil.

Petronas is the state-owned oil company from Malaysia, and as well as controlling Malaysia's entire oil and gas reserves, has several joint ventures outside Malaysia and assets in Azerbaijan. Also sponsors the Mercedes F1 team.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Petronas is the state-owned oil company from Malaysia, and as well as controlling Malaysia's entire oil and gas reserves, has several joint ventures outside Malaysia and assets in Azerbaijan. Also sponsors the Mercedes F1 team.

It. Also sponsors MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3 teams in world championship motor cycling.

• Like 1

Firstly, thank you all for your replies.321DFFC1-746A-4B5E-A00A-411FD0011AA7.thumb.jpeg.bdf7f92b67ab51e357de553179e740ef.jpeg

This is the oil Toyota put in my car. Ever since I’ve had the car it’s always has had this oil. As you can see it’s quite specific in its application.

its not the easiest oil to buy, generally not of the shelf but can buy it on the net. 

Previous threads on this particular topic have suggested excellent reasons why my oil has remained clear. I appreciate all your comments regarding grades of oil but in my opinion, this is the best oil for the engine.

I have always been very fussy as to what oil I use. I think it’s because the oil is the life blood of the engine. I view my car as an investment and want to keep it going as long as possible. Of course, rather sentimental I know as other factors are involved but I try to look after the old girl.

thanks for contributing.

regards

peter

11 hours ago, mrfixer said:

I don't know much about Petronas oils (a Malaysian company?).  It may be that they have skimped on the additive pack to save money and it has limited dispersant in it.  I'd go back to a premium brand oil.

I don't think they have personally, as they all have to meet minimum requirements. And as has been said, they've been in F1 for absolute years providing lubricants to the teams as well. I'd feel much better about putting Petronas in a car compared to the Amazon basics stuff.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 3:28 PM, mickburkesnr said:

I don't think they have personally, as they all have to meet minimum requirements. And as has been said, they've been in F1 for absolute years providing lubricants to the teams as well. I'd feel much better about putting Petronas in a car compared to the Amazon basics stuff.

I suspect the oil they supply to F1 is a lot different than what they sell to the general public.

Oil gets dirty between oil changes largely due to the presence of tiny black soot particles (oxidation of additives also causes the oil to darken).  The soot particles are an inevitable part of the combustion process. You don't want those particles being deposited in the oilways and on the internal components of the engine. Hence the oil companies add dispersants to keep the soot particles in suspension.  Oil getting dirty is a sign that it is working. Oil should not stay clean between oil changes - that means the combustion products are finding a home somewhere in the engine!  The only exception to this would be engines run on e.g. LPG which burns very cleanly and produces very little soot or ash.

Hi mrfixer,

I think that perhaps another reason why the oil has stayed clean is that there was no oil in the car for about a week. All the oilways had probably drained and any oil left in the engine was minimal. When the new oil was added there was insufficient old oil to discolour it. The sump too had been thoroughly cleaned inside and the oil filter was changed. 

Have been using the car daily this week. I will check the oil and see if it has changed.

Regards

Peter

1 hour ago, peter.ling24@gmail.com said:

Hi mrfixer,

I think that perhaps another reason why the oil has stayed clean is that there was no oil in the car for about a week. All the oilways had probably drained and any oil left in the engine was minimal. When the new oil was added there was insufficient old oil to discolour it. The sump too had been thoroughly cleaned inside and the oil filter was changed. 

Have been using the car daily this week. I will check the oil and see if it has changed.

Regards

Peter

I was really responding to guy whose Petronas oil stayed clean for 13 months....

Staying clean for a few weeks is not unusual and I've no doubt yours will gradually go black.

Yes I agree with you mtfixer, in fact I hope it does go black as the oil then will be doing its job.

regards

peter

Hi all,

Have done 50 miles since the oil change. The oil is just beginning to discolour. Its a golden colour now, therefore the oil is beginning to do its job.

Could this indicate the condition of the engine? Interesting?

Regards

Peter

The way to check if an oil is suitable for YOUR car is to check what standard YOUR engine manufacturer states, and I don’t just mean 5w-30 or whatever. When you know what standard the engine manufacturer states then carefully check that the oil you looking to purchase meets the minimum recommendation of the engine manufacturer.

Petronas is a highly respected oil manufacturer, one needs to be careful to not slur it (or any other manufacturer) by suggesting it may not be using certain additives that might prove detrimental to an engine.

Hi catlover,

I haven’t slurred or made personally any comments regarding any oil manufacturer.

My comments and remarks I’ve published on this site are positive and only what has been recommended by Toyota.

peter

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, peter.ling24@gmail.com said:

I haven’t slurred or made personally any comments regarding any oil manufacturer.

Don't think the comment was aimed at you.

• Thanks 1

Hi All.

The oil in my 7 year old but exceptionally low mileage Rav 4 is always clean but I have it still changed on every service.

I know my local dealer uses Opie oil low ash and I cannot fault it.

Regards, Mike.

Hi Mike169,

What please is Opie oil?

Peter

Hi Peter, Opie oil is just a very good quality brand and recommended to me by a very professional member from Toyota and believe is available from Halfords, (Don't forget your TOC  discount card, if you don't have one chat to Frostyballs) and is a high quality oil used by Toyota dealers or chat to The Parts King (Kingo) about it and ideally if you buy 0/5W you will get more MPG. Main dealers don't like using this thinner grade because it is more expensive but I promise you it is 'class' Mike.

• Like 1