Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Radio code needed

Armyd

Can anyone please help? I was doing some work and disconnected the Battery on my 2002 corolla and now the radio is asking for a code. The radio is model w58802. I've read its probably 0000 or 1234 or the last 4 digits of vin. 

I don't want to enter wrong codes then maybe locking the unit forever. 

Does anyone know which code is correct or how I can obtain (ideally without charge would be good) 

Have you tried taking the radio out? Usually people write the code on the inside of the radio, either on a piece of paper stuck to it, or just some pen on the metal.

No haven't yet, is it easy enough to do? It looks like the air vents come out with radio would that be correct? 

Hi Darren.

If you phone a Toyota main dealer and tell them you chassis code and reg. no. they may tell you the code down the phone for free.

Yes I believe if you enter the wrong code too many times it will lock you out of your radio.

Regards, Mike.

Are you the original owner?  If not, it may be worth looking into any documentation you have. In the past I have written the code on the front of the service book, or just inside, also the car manual/entertainment manual (if separate).

6 hours ago, Armyd said:

Can anyone please help? I was doing some work and disconnected the battery on my 2002 corolla and now the radio is asking for a code. The radio is model w58802. I've read its probably 0000 or 1234 or the last 4 digits of vin. 

I don't want to enter wrong codes then maybe locking the unit forever. 

Does anyone know which code is correct or how I can obtain (ideally without charge would be good) 

Would love to see a picture of that message as I have never heard of the old Corolla radios needing a security code.

Have had my Battery disconnected many times, even for an overnight charge,  but it never asked for any code when reconnected ....?

• 2 weeks later...

This is news to me as well... I installed a DAB-tuner on a 2004 model a few weeks a go, and the oem radio did not ask for a code upon reconnection. Can you confirm that this is indeed the an oem radio? As many aftermarket units had the option to input a personal code that you then had to input each time the stereo lost power, and we saw lots of cases where the code that was input by a user...was either forgotten or not passed along when the car was sold on. 

• 1 year later...

My OEM radio in my 2006 Corolla Hatchback is lighting up and displaying a radio station but no sound.

If I go through channels etc the radio beeps and I can hear that? Does that beep sound come through the Speakers? This is driving me to distraction. I’m about to take door panel off and go round Speakers. I’m 67yr old female so not very good with this particular problem.

1 hour ago, Ella12 said:

My OEM radio in my 2006 Corolla Hatchback is lighting up and displaying a radio station but no sound.

If I go through channels etc the radio beeps and I can hear that? Does that beep sound come through the speakers? This is driving me to distraction. I’m about to take door panel off and go round speakers. I’m 67yr old female so not very good with this particular problem.

Hi,

First thing, I would not go around ripping off your door cards, you have at least 4 Speakers, fronts ,rears, and possibly front tweeters, so if no sound is coming out of any of them its likely a problem with the head unit, unless you had already been working around the speakers/wires for some other reason ??

Assume by OEM you mean its the original Toyota unit  ?  Is there a code reference on the bottom front right usually W5...... 

No idea about the Bleep , expect its from the Speakers but will have a listen to mine in the next hour.

There are two fuses that feed the radio,  15A CIG and 15A DOME so you need to check those first, your Toyota  handbook should show you thier location, if you have one ?

Hi Thanks for replying oldcodger

W58814 is the number on the radio. The fuses were the first thing I checked both sets, they’re fine. The cigarette lighter is working.  When the radio finds a station it beeps. So thinking if I can hear a beep the Speakers must be working??? Not sure.  I left the drivers door window open recently when it was raining. Can’t remember if it was working before that or if it had already gone. CD player not working either

Now here’s something I just noticed the volume won’t go up or down???

Hi,

Just sat in the car and selected an existing radio station and pressed and held the station button as if I was programming it in, and the Bleep does come from the Speakers.

Be surprised if the rain had been able to get in an short the speaker cables.

Not seen any reference to an output fuse on the radio  unit, so it does seem to indicate an internal fault, could it be a faulty volume control or ciruitry ??

Have you tried pressing the MUTE button a few times incase that circuit is faulty, should display MUTE on the screen when pressed.

You can see these Toyota head units being sold on eBay when they upgrade theirs, which is an option you could look at, worthwhile if things like mobile and USB connection is important to you ?

Plenty of choice of new units, you can even get car radios for under £20 on eBay !   but for any new radio you need to spend more on fitting kits etc.

Either way, it would be worth having the Speakers checked out to ensure they are not shorting before fitting a different unit; it needs some simple test meter or similar, though putting your ear to each speaker in turn while making it Bleep would be a good test.

Hi again oldcodger

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to me it’s very much appreciated. I have ordered some contact cleaner for the volume control to see if that starts the volume knob working again. It was working before as were the ones on the steering wheel. Don’t know what happened there. I thought maybe a ground wire....I remember years ago the radio started acting up making crackling buzzing sounds. I bought a new aerial but it actually ended up something in the boot. So long ago I can’t remember. If you touched something it made the sounds worse this sorted itself and I didn’t use the aerial. Wish I could remember what it was? I’ve tried the Mute button...I’ve tried the balance fader bass treble standing on my head 😂😂 I’ll try the beep test on the Speakers and see if they all work. I’ve seen the units on eBay.

Think I’ll need to take it somewhere, I don’t want to. As soon as they see ....old woman...you can see ££££ signs reflecting in their eyes 😂😂 anyway thanks so much for your time. I shall let you know how it goes. If I get it fixed. Meanwhile I’ll keep checking back here in case you find something that can help 👍🏻

Hi,

Have to say , doubt a contact cleaner spray will be able to get into the actual track of the volume control from the outside, you would really need to open up the chassis,  plus it may well be a digital type rather than the old carbon track type.

With the Steering wheel controls also not having any effect it does suggest its an internal electronic failure.

Just one last simple check, you say the cig socket works ok, what about the interior lights, they do illuminate ?  On the Dome fuse line.

Also do check out you can hear the Bleep on all speaker to ensure they are ok.

Would doubt you will find anyone who could repair it  at a reasonable price as its so old and some parts many be obselete, certainly likey to cost way more than a decent quality new head unit.  In the day I would have had a look at my own if it failed, but now simply would not bother, just not worthwhile, would fit a new modern unit.

If you look around this  Corolla  forum  you will see quiet a few posts about fitting new head units,  this link shows the types of fittings you need for any new radio,  eg Wiring adapter, Aerial adapter , Facia, and steering wheel control /Stalk Adapter.  Would go for a big brand name radio like Pioneer, JCV etc.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/adapters/toyota?cat=1864&p=2

You could look at units like these, this one seems to be a dealer, but does not state its fully working, but again at 15 years old, any units like these will always be gamble as for how long they will last.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-Toyota-Corolla-1-6-Petrol-Radio-CD-Player-With-a-Aux/384013567156?hash=item5968fe04b4:g:5G4AAOSwqx5gSl8q

1 hour ago, oldcodger said:

Don't think this is your problem , but worth a read /check just in case. as the fault does seem to have stopped everything,  the cure is lower down in the thread.

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/125531-problems-with-w58810-hu/

Well oldcodger I read it and got all excited running out to my car because I had a new aerial in my boot. Got someone to unscrew the old one off cos I’m to wee to reach it it. Gave them the new one to put on and they said that’s the wrong fitting??? Oh no! I will send for another. I saw an old radio for sale...now here’s a daft question. Do I need to buy the radio with vents or does the ones without just fit in. I see they’re sold with vents and some without for cars that don’t have vents. Thank you for giving me hope 😂😂

Hi,

These videos show how to remove and refit,  the vents on probably because they did not fully disassemble or just less chance of damage or fit/colour mismatch if they leave them on ?

Assume yours is like my model with Digital heating controls as in the second video ?

Do check the speaker Bleeps and the interior light works, just could be a fault there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Bz5yz_DkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G3Rei8JDaY

Hi
I got so carried away with the aerial solution I forgot to mention I had checked the interior lights. All working even the light in the boot. Even when you put a CD in the player it displays, changes tracks etc. This is so weird? Yes my radio CD set up is the same as the one in the second video. Do you think it’s worth buying a new radio this late in it’s wonderful life. I don’t know if I can bring myself to change it’s looks now 😂 The steering wheel function for changing radio stations still works and the volume button works intermittently now if I play around with it turning it back and forth. Sent for new aerial won’t get it till Friday.

Are you saying that since you tried to change the Aerial you can now get some function to the volume control when you could not before ?  if so then it could be that ?!

A new Pioneer or JVC head unit like in that second video can cost as little as £55, but you need to spend about £45 on the fitting kit and adapters as Toyota do not use the same standard wiring protocol. Plus as you say they do look a bit different.

One last route, if the aerial is not the cause and the Speakers are ok,  is to contact one of these national radio repairers ( never knew of them till I searched)  and see what their charges are, at least you do not have to let them know you are female, just sign the email/confact form E.Anyone

https://www.car-audiomedics.co.uk/car-audio-repairs

No I just noticed that if I turned the knob back and forth every now and again the volume changed. It was the same with the buttons on the steering wheel, if I kept pressing it like clicking it over and over at some point it would change. That was working fine before? 
I left an email for that company you gave me the link for. Got an email back saying due to Covid...office staff... but they will get back in touch within a couple of days.

Edited by Ella12
To add

Is it a JBL head unit?
if it is your problem may lay with a loose connection at the amp. 
it’s located under the passenger seat. 

AFE08366-AE7F-46B9-BDBC-88A841017D8A.thumb.jpeg.74ebe51aada188f9a32945fa6ae73077.jpeg

On 4/6/2021 at 7:16 PM, PaulDM said:

Is it a JBL head unit?
if it is your problem may lay with a loose connection at the amp. 
it’s located under the passenger seat. 

AFE08366-AE7F-46B9-BDBC-88A841017D8A.thumb.jpeg.74ebe51aada188f9a32945fa6ae73077.jpeg

Hi Paul I don’t know what a JBL unit is? I know the amp is under the passenger seat. I just bought a replacement radio. So all good in music land. Thank you for your reply.

On 4/6/2021 at 3:58 PM, oldcodger said:

Are you saying that since you tried to change the Aerial you can now get some function to the volume control when you could not before ?  if so then it could be that ?!

A new Pioneer or JVC head unit like in that second video can cost as little as £55, but you need to spend about £45 on the fitting kit and adapters as Toyota do not use the same standard wiring protocol. Plus as you say they do look a bit different.

One last route, if the aerial is not the cause and the speakers are ok,  is to contact one of these national radio repairers ( never knew of them till I searched)  and see what their charges are, at least you do not have to let them know you are female, just sign the email/confact form E.Anyone

https://www.car-audiomedics.co.uk/car-audio-repairs

Hi oldcodger

The spray did work and the volume button did start working again. To no avail of course because the radio still had no sound. Anyway got another radio from eBay for £29.00. Ordered it yesterday and it arrived today which was pretty neat. So I’ve fitted it and it’s all working. We have 🎶🎶🎶🎶Yeeeesssss! Found out on YouTube the car has an amp behind the passenger seat then came on here and had a reply from Paul who kindly told me where it was too. Very difficult to get to.

Now oldcodger

I have a new problem. 🥴 Whilst fitting the new radio I dropped a screw and it fell into the bit below where the gearstick etc is. I’ve looked and can’t see it anywhere. Now I’m scared to drive the car in case it goes into somewhere it shouldn’t and I here crunching sounds 😱😱😱

Hi,

Well a little confused by the above,  where you say you know of the amp ? think @PaulDM was thinking you have a new model Corolla, not aware any E12 2002-06 had a Toyota amplifier under the passenger seat  ? 

Thought you were waiting for a new Aerial ? but seems you have gone ahead with a "new"  radio  -do you mean a second hand Toyota model  rather than a brand new unit which would need wiring adapters etc ?

Good that you do have sound at last, but would be interesting to know with what ?:smile:

As for the screw, as you cannot see it anywhere in the gearchange assembly would assume its dropped down below, so no chance it can jump back in there.

The gear change lever is only operating two cables so doubt that would cause any real danger if it did get in there.

To be safe get yourself one of these little magnet pic up tools, and / or simply remove the two bolts from inside the center console storage bin and lift it up out of the way so you can have a good look with a torch, you might find it drop out one the carpet as to remove the console.

000553.jpg

Hi old codger I got an old radio from eBay for £29.00 same as one I had in the car the OEM that came with it. Regarding the amp you may be right I had a look and could see coloured wires and felt a long round thing. It sits under the carpet so couldn’t really get at it to have a proper look. So it may not be but I read it a couple of times then saw what Paul had written too. Definitely something under there.

I’m hoping this radio lasts for a while. I tried for the screw earlier today with a long magnetic rod but no joy. I need to find an alloy wheel now. The guy that fitted my tyres says one is looking bad at the back and may cause air loss in my tyre. I bought 2 before so probably best buying 2 so on the hunt for them now 😂😂😂  it never 🌧💦💧️ Eh?

4 hours ago, oldcodger said:

Hi,

Well a little confused by the above,  where you say you know of the amp ? think @PaulDM was thinking you have a new model Corolla, not aware any E12 2002-06 had a Toyota amplifier under the passenger seat  ? 

Thought you were waiting for a new Aerial ? but seems you have gone ahead with a "new"  radio  -do you mean a second hand Toyota model  rather than a brand new unit which would need wiring adapters etc ?

Good that you do have sound at last, but would be interesting to know with what ?:smile:

As for the screw, as you cannot see it anywhere in the gearchange assembly would assume its dropped down below, so no chance it can jump back in there.

The gear change lever is only operating two cables so doubt that would cause any real danger if it did get in there.

To be safe get yourself one of these little magnet pic up tools, and / or simply remove the two bolts from inside the center console storage bin and lift it up out of the way so you can have a good look with a torch, you might find it drop out one the carpet as to remove the console.

000553.jpg

Nope. The higher spec models had a JBL head unit and amp. Had one in my 2005 Prius and beyond.  Not a head unit issue if amp has a lose wire. Standard head unit not JBL has no external amp

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links