Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

EGR?

Adrian79

Hi I have a 2006 toyota avensis 1.6 petrol. Just wondering does if have a egr value. My car is revving up when idle and last 2 days the engine has stalled when I slow down r stop behind traffic. Was going to take our egr value and clean with egr cleaner but not sure it has one. Can u help with the cause of problem and suggest how to fix it please. 

Edited by FROSTYBALLS
Topic title edited to reflect subject

Hi

As far as I know that engine does not have EGR. I have the same engine in 2006 Corolla. I use throttle body cleaner every 6-7,000 km. It's worth checking it, and if dirty and black it's very easy to clean it, just take off the air snorkle to throttle body and give it a good spray and clean with nylon brush, even without completely dismantling the throttle body. I would also check the spark plugs and lastly put a good fuel cleaner in your tank.

My car has 260,000 km and still running great, never had any issues with idling.

Hope this helps you.

While you're at it, you should probably clean the airflow sensor, too. Don't use the carb/throttle body cleaner on that, it leaves a residue, use MAF cleaner. I don't know if your throttle body has an idle air control valve. If it does,  then it may be having issues. Also, air or vacuum leaks could be causing your idle speed problems.

On 6/15/2019 at 4:07 PM, Adrian79 said:

Hi I have a 2006 toyota avensis 1.6 petrol. Just wondering does if have a egr value. My car is revving up when idle and last 2 days the engine has stalled when I slow down r stop behind traffic. Was going to take our egr value and clean with egr cleaner but not sure it has one. Can u help with the cause of problem and suggest how to fix it please. 

Did you disconnect/change the Battery recently?

I think this is the 3ZZFE engine. No EGR.

High idle is caused by additional air going into the engine - check..

1. Sticking throttle/idle speed control valve.

2. Split vacuum hose or leaking gasket on intake manifold, allowing air in.

3. Idle speed setting been lost due to Battery disconnected (look on YouTube for how to relearn idle on Toyota).

I personally would do a search on ecp to find what idle control valve you have. I'd remove and clean it if possible as they can gum up and stick open to idle high or closed to stall the engine .

Worth a try before replacing it

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links