Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

EGR cleaning

tuskar

Is it  a good idea to remove and clean the EGR valve after 70k miles on the 1ND TV diesel engine . Cheers

I would say why not. Clean EGR and then you will know that is it worth open up after 70k or maybe sooner next time.

If your car has egr cooler like in hybrids(gen3) that will block up around 150-200k miles or so.

Thanks for reply . Yes, mine has the egr cooler also. Should the cooler be cleaned too if possible  ?  I hear some install a blanking plate with a 8mm hole drilled which reduces carbon build up , and this does not activate the  CE light .

Whole EGR circuit needs to be cleaned at same time, no point to clean just valve.

Priuschat has lots of threads about egr cleaning with pics etc https://priuschat.com/threads/egr-cleaning-what-did-i-get-myself-into.189399/

I Dont know how todays diesels like blocking egr. Gen3 hybrid will blow headgasget when EGR is blocked(due to rised cylinder temperatures, because there is no egr gases to cool combustion). A lot of threads about this also at Priuschat. 

If anyone here with high mileage gen3 hybrid, clean egr circuit!

edit: there is also another video how to clean intake manifold. There is separate egr passages what needs to be cleaned at the same time.

• 1 year later...
On 6/21/2019 at 8:21 PM, qettyz said:

Whole EGR circuit needs to be cleaned at same time, no point to clean just valve.

Priuschat has lots of threads about egr cleaning with pics etc https://priuschat.com/threads/egr-cleaning-what-did-i-get-myself-into.189399/

I Dont know how todays diesels like blocking egr. Gen3 hybrid will blow headgasget when EGR is blocked(due to rised cylinder temperatures, because there is no egr gases to cool combustion). A lot of threads about this also at Priuschat. 

If anyone here with high mileage gen3 hybrid, clean egr circuit!

edit: there is also another video how to clean intake manifold. There is separate egr passages what needs to be cleaned at the same time.

Yes, this is a part that need attention at around 120k miles.  Clean the intake  manifolds at the same time.  Especially the small holes inside big holes that go to engine head.  Clean all the EGR assembly,  no need to open the Black motor.  In Corolla  the EGR is after catalytic converter,  make it less likely to get dirty and clogged because after catalyst,  the air is cleaner,  less sludge and unburned fuel

As the last post in this topic is nearly two years old, hopefully, it will already have been done.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links