Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange happenings on Prius Gen 4

Chris Dance

Last Friday travelling south on A34; south of Harwell Sat Nav wanted me to leave A34 and go to Compton and other villages. I ignored the Sat Nav but had to reset the destination at the next stop.

Last Monday returning on the same route but travelling North the same thing happened at the same place. It was necessary to reset the Sat Nav once clear of that area. Has anybody else heard of this happening on the A34? (Sat Nav has latest update).

There was another strange "happening" on the same return journey on Monday. Turned into our street. There was a loud "Beep" and a red sign flashed across the MFD. Could not tell what the sign read as it was gone in a second. Since then there have been no issues with the car.  

The SatNav receives traffic information from FM radio broadcasts, and if you have your phone connected and allowed internet access it will also download traffic information from the internet. It may have been routing you in a way as to avoid traffic congestion or to avoid road works, an accident, and so on. Sometimes these things clear before the data is updated. Does it happen every time? Or just occasionally?

The loud beeping and red sign is definitely the automatic emergency braking system. You were probably closing the distance fast on a car (possibly parked). This happens quite a lot. Once it realises you're braking or turning and will not crash the warning disappears. If you continue to head towards the thing it's seen it will really slam on the brakes VERY hard. Mine's only done that once, and it absolutely 100% prevented a real crash when a car in front of me on a slip road joining 60MPH traffic decided to chicken out and stop dead in front of me while I was checking my blind spot and not looking ahead. Anyway, I commonly get false alarms if I am travelling towards a parked car on bendy roads. The system only looks straight ahead. Also the camera watches for what it thinks are people stepping out into the road. I've had it beep when kids have ran towards the kerb from the pavement and stopped suddenly, or people have stepped out from behind parked cars. Again - it's never needed to actually brake, but it definitely saw a real hazard most of the time.

Thanks for reply Angus.  With regard to the Sat Nav. there were no obvious traffic congestion, road works or accident.  Why I had to reset the Sat Nav was it gave routes which were miles off our journey?? It does not happen all the time; it was just on that journey at the same place regardless of travelling South or North. 

Thanks for your answer with regard to the red sign and beep.  First time it has happened to me. There were parked cars in the street. I now know it was just the safety system.

Sounds like it was trying to take you the eco route or shortest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links