Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starter motor removal 2006 Avensis 2.2 D4D

ABL

Could omeone please let me know which is the best way to remove the starter motor from my 2006 Avensis 2.2 D4D. I have removed the Battery and Battery base plate and loosened the top bolt.  I can see the bottom bolt after removing the bottom engine covers, but a) how do you get a spanner or socket onto this bottom bolt and b) how do you remove the motor and solenoid without removing loads of other items that are above the motor. I can remove all the items but do I have to.  Any help would be truly appreciated.

I changed mine recently, can't remember fully but think I finished it off from underneath, perhaps with socket and extension for bottom bolt. I think some bits have to be removed, and wiring may be easier to undo once motor is unbolted and moved a bit. Perhaps remove plastic intake pipe from between throttle body and rubber boost pipe to give more room. It wasn't too difficult to do overall. Sorry if this is a bit vague.

I got a refurbished one fitted for £60 in cash. The guy had axle stands  left and right and was under the car, I do not think he did anything from above.

Obviously if there is a slant you will need chocks as back brakes may fail and for even more security have the car in gear.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kennycab and m456an, thankyou very much for your replies.  Much appreciated. The only way I could see how to remove it was very similar to what m456an had said - removing other items to gain access to the bottom bolt which was very tight and think I would never have loosened it from below with extension tools and 1/2" universal unions, and even if I had I could see no way that the motor could be removed from below.  So ended up disconnecting the inlet tube and removing the inlet manifold, to get a good clearance for leverage with a 6 sided 17mm socket on an extension bar. So longer job than I thought, but got new motor, installed it yesterday and refitted all other bits today. Engine started OK but engine light on dash. Do you know where the OBD 11 socket is on this car - might need to reset the electronics after the Battery has been removed for a time? Cheers

Hi again, just to let you know I found the OBD 11 connector on the car (mut go to specsavers - obvious when you get down on your knees!!!!  Ha, ha) and it's got P0400 code which is EGR Flow Malfunction. Not sure yet what's causing this, but I did remove the EGR and pipework, so don't know whether it is an electrical connector problem. Will look tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, cleaned out EGR valve and checked with a meter that the contacts associated with the opening and closing of the valve were working.  Reassembled and refitted valve. Alarms came on again but after stopping and starting again, they disappeared.  So car passed MOT with no advisories and now back on the road. Looks like it was the starter motor all along. Thanks to all who contributed to this issue.

• Thanks 1