Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Verso consuming too much diesel

toyotathebest

Hi guys, 

I've recently bought a 2006 Toyota Corolla Verso T180 2.2 diesel (D-cat). It's only done less than 85k mileage. But I think I now know why this might be the case. The vehicle is extremely heavy on fuel. On £50 fuel, (40 ltrs diesel) it's done 240 miles, but that includes 120 motorway/dual carriage way miles.

I've taken very easy on the driving habits, but it's not made any difference. It's that bad, that on local journeys, you can literally see the needle drop. 

I've checked the air filter which looks almost brand new and there are no fuel leaks as far as I can tell. 

I know it's 180bhp, but if I'm taking it easy on acceleration, it should do a lot more. According to odometer it shows the average as 44mpg on motorways. But local, it states 16mpg as average. 

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks very much. 

I checked on sprintmonitor and even the worst cases dont really get the same awfull mpg like you do

https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/49-Toyota/981-Corolla_Verso.html?fueltype=1&power_s=170&power_e=190&powerunit=2

Have you checked the car for any leaks from the gas tank and fuel lines?

Thanks for your reply furtula.  I've done a visual inspection of the gas tank and fuel lines, but have been unable to find any issues. Also there are no smells of diesel. It doesn't make sense at all.  I thought it might be the usual culprits such as tyre pressure, air/fuel filters, gauge etc, but these all seem fine.

Seems to be the same age/engine and to quote "the D-Cat is thirsty - it's that 5th injector. Typically 38mpg or less in an Avensis even as a manual so your 13km/l is pretty much bang on (~37mpg)"

Maybe try to reset the ECU as they suggested there, have it re-learn, see if it lowers consumption. Dont forget to let it idle first 10 minutes, then go for a drive.

Thanks furtula. I'm willing to give it a try, but to be honest I don't think it'll make much of a difference. In that topic they are talking about a 150bhp engine, but mine is even more powerful as it's a 180bhp.  Also in the other topic OP is actually stating he's doing around 600 miles and others are saying they get 400 miles on full tank... I can only dream of those figures as I'm getting a ridiculously low mileage of no more than 240 miles.. Half of which is motorway mileage.. That's a lot lower than theirs. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links