Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sat nav missing

StrangePrius

In March 2019 I bought the new 2019 Prius Business Edition - but it came without any satnav, because, so my dealer said, Toyota had not got one ready in time! Three months later I am still waiting, and my dealer can't get a date from Toyota. Anyone else having this problem?

Edited by FROSTYBALLS
Title edited to reflect subject

I thought the Sat nav was factory fitted, are you waiting for another car or a sat nav ?

🤔

it is a modular system to allow for dealer-fit upgrades so they should be able to simply install the nav module & gps antenna.

• Like 1

My 2017 Business Edition came with a fitted Sat Nav. I had the fitted Sat Nav upgraded prior to delivery; it was done with no problems or delay. I notice you live in Bucks Ian. I wonder if we use the same dealer. I do not understand why your car came without a Sat Nav; it should have been factory fitted. You should not have to wait 3 months that is not acceptable. 

8 hours ago, StrangePrius said:

In March 2019 I bought the new 2019 Prius Business Edition - but it came without any satnav, because, so my dealer said, Toyota had not got one ready in time! Three months later I am still waiting, and my dealer can't get a date from Toyota. Anyone else having this problem?

Do you have the new 2019 Facelift model? As this is a new model/specification which differs from the earlier pre-facelift Prius and does not include navigation as standard ( it is standard from Business Edition + and above ) nor is it available as an option.

I would need double check but one of my Technicians who recently attended the new model Prius technical training was told that navigation was a factory only item and could not now be retro fitted .This would appear to confirmed by our dealer accessory listing which does not list nav for a 2019 Facelift Prius as an accessory.

Just to clarify before people say " its just a Touch 2 head unit and the navigation from an earlier Prius will fit" the facelift Prius nor has a version of the latest MM17 Display Audio as fitted to the new Corolla, New Rav4 and New Camry.

1 hour ago, Chris Dance said:

I do not understand why your car came without a Sat Nav; it should have been factory fitted. 

If you look at the Toyota.co.uk website the current spec. for Prius Business Ed. does not have satnav as standard, Business Ed.+ does.

The other thing that may be causing the issue is that Toyota have recently moved onto a version of Touch 2 that they call Multimedia (or MM) 17 where the hardware has been upgraded from the Touch 2 hardware in our cars. Possibly they have not had enough supplies of spare stocks of MM17 nav modules?

edit: I see that Devon Aygo has posted at the same time - would seem a backward step to me if you can no longer dealer-fit a nav module as an optional upgrade?

This was almost a deal breaker for me, as I really wanted sat nav, but the initial cars didn't have it(business edition) and the dealer said it could not be upgraded.

I must say that even though it's a bit inconvenient to setup/put away, a tom tom is *miles* better than the sat nav I had in the gen 2.

I still hope Apple car play may arrive one day given we have MM17 at least...

I bought a TomTom to supplement my inbuilt Toyota one and TBH, apart from the traffic updates on the TomTom, I prefer the Toyota one. It's easier to see as it's larger, and it re-routes you quicker if you decide to take a different route to the one it suggests, the TomTom keeps telling me to do a u-turn at every opportunity for quite a while. I don't have my phone connected to internet on the car so I just use the TomTom for the live traffic updates.

I have the 6" tom tom, so there's only 1" in it!  But I prefer not to have to look down and across at a sat nav; the tom tom sits on the dash behind the steering wheel, so it's directly in my line of view.  (I coped Pete B's setup after seeing his pictures!)

I miss the gen 2 with it's high up display, but, the gen 4 facelift is supposed to show nav arrows on the HUD, so that might mitigate it I guess.

Does the toyota sat nav do 3d views now? (Not on my gen 2!)   It's a very smooth update on the tom tom and nice and high up point of view on the display.

The traffic is the main reason I am currently using a sat nav, so that is why I favour the tom tom so much.   

I havn't tried to take a different route yet, but I do remember all the 'turn around when possilbe' type messages when I had a tom tom a while ago!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve tried a whole load of navigation systems, from factory-fitted to various PNDs to all the popular apps, and I find there’s still nothing better than TomTom Go for iPhone. If I could CarPlay that to the head unit in my Prius, I’d be over the moon.

Hi, does anyone on here use Waze, it is Googles version of sat nav if you like. I have it on my other car and find it the best sat nav system, tells you lots of into and very fast to give an alternative route if there is trouble ahead of you, just Google it. Mike.

Tried it for a while, couldn't come to terms with the rather infantile user interface/graphics.

I have been using Waze regularly for the past few months, the UI has improved over the years and I find it easier to read from a distance than Google Maps. Live reports and traffic, fuel prices and other features are quite useful, and routing is usually good - but the best thing is the routing will improve the more you use it.

• 1 month later...

On 7/12/2019 at 8:32 AM, Mike169 said:

Hi, does anyone on here use Waze, it is Googles version of sat nav if you like. I have it on my other car and find it the best sat nav system, tells you lots of into and very fast to give an alternative route if there is trouble ahead of you, just Google it. Mike.

I am a Here Maps fan from my old Windows phone, because the maps of a given country can be downloaded in full and updated for free, just like TomTom. Since then Here WeGo has moved onto Android and Apple. I also use Google Driving, which works well except it does not show posted speed limit, which Here WeGo does. I have Waze on my Samsung phone, but not used it properly. I prefer Google Driving and Here WeGo graphics to Waze. I see many drivers still using Sat Nav or mobile phones in car which have built in Sat Navs! This is why Android Auto and Apple Carplay is a must, since some built in Sat Navs are not easy to use.