Do Not Sell My Personal Information

After market reversing camera

Weelawser

Looking for suggestions on an after market reversing camera for my 2008 2.2 XTR D-4D, there is no spare wheel on the tailgate door.

I have seen a few that would fit into license plate light socket, which seems the easiest way to go ?

I have also fitted  a Sony XAV - AX100 Head Unit which has the rear view camera option.

I just typed in Sony XAV - AX100 reverse camera and there are loads of stuff on YouTube that pops up, so it looks like a popular unit.  Based on that, I think you will find exactly what you need with a little on line research.

I think you should have a look.

I have this one in my car 

Easy to install and works pretty fine! 

Edited by FROSTYBALLS
Link removed due to advertising

Thanks for the reply however I want it to connect up to my Head Unit

I’d suggest this is a RTFM situation. Most are simply low res RCA units with a power tap going to the reverse light for switching, you can pay £5 upwards, however some HU’s can use USB (Pioneer).

When I swapped my Rav head unit for a Kenwood unit, I stumped up the extra cash for the Kenwood reverse camera, just no comparison, it has a wider angled lens,  so can see far more at the sides, it crystal clear, colours are far better, the parking guide lines are very useful and it's excellent at night.

So my advice is, if you really rely on the camera as a tool rather than a gimmick, pay as much as you can.

Just ensure you do your research and make sure it's compatible, because I'm talking from experience, there is loads of crap out there and you have to buy specific connector cables etc.

15 minutes ago, BobbyMcLeish said:

When I swapped my Rav head unit for a Kenwood unit, I stumped up the extra cash for the Kenwood reverse camera, just no comparison, it has a wider angled lens,  so can see far more at the sides, it crystal clear, colours are far better, the parking guide lines are very useful and it's excellent at night.

So my advice is, if you really rely on the camera as a tool rather than a gimmick, pay as much as you can.

Just ensure you do your research and make sure it's compatible, because I'm talking from experience, there is loads of crap out there and you have to buy specific connector cables etc.

While I agree with the principal of buy a decent camera, a lot of what you say doesn’t quite add up.

The only time you should need a specific connector is if your HU is non standard (eg not RCA) or you wish to re-use a factory fit camera with a 3rd party HU. RCA is RCA and pretty much the standard in the overwhelming majority of HU’s available today. Given most cameras use CMOS sensors from the same OEM’s and clearly state spec’s such as viewing angle, TVL/CMOS and if they compensate for light levels using IR or software and the parking guidelines should be adjustable on the HU and nothing to do with the camera, it’s not hard to compare them on a like for like basis.

My advice would be to buy a decent camera that matches your needs, that really doesn’t need to be the branded version to match your HU at 10x the price, but they will usually be noticeably better than a £5 no name camera. However comparing a £5 camera to a £50 one is flawed in the first place - compare one that has the same spec for half the price and you’re getting the best of both.

I used a company called John Klies in Reading for the supply and install and they had REAL issues with trying to get the original Rav reverse camera to work with the new Kenwood head unit.  They tried various cables etc, in the end I opted for the Kenwood camera, because they gave me a good deal.

I suppose it will be more straight forward if you are buying a camera to fit a head unit, rather than the way we were trying it and trying to get it it work with the existing Rav camera.

H

Your comments are excellent, however, I stick by my guns on you get what you pay for (in this instance anyway).  I just could not believe the difference in the new camera I got fitted......and most unbranded electronic items are the same as branded items at a inflated price !!!