Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres on new 2019 RAV4 Hybrid

Tomfromfife

In Birmingham, for our local gun crims, the Range Rover would need to be black with privacy glass in all the side windows and ammo would be either 9mm or .45.

15 hours ago, Avalon said:

Nope, but don’t believe me

mmm, yes - military HMMV tyres are not constructed like normal road tyres as they are designed to take IED blasts etc. & still run. Some HMMVs have a central tire (sic) inflation system. Your video doesn't show a test on an HMMV.

Has anyone found any all-season tyres (or Winter ones for that matter) for 18" rims that aren't directional and/or asymmetric?

I'm beginning to wonder if I'll have to just keep the space saver after all!  (but I hope not)

Vredestein Quatrac 5 are all season but are asymmetric. 

Why not asymmetric as they can be swapped to any position on the car, where directional cannot.

or fit 4 x Michelin Cross Climates and a Quadrac 5 as the temporary full size spare as it can be fitted on any corner.

So an assymetric spare could go on either side?

Yes. The tyre has ‘outside’ on one wall so that it is fitted correctly on the wheel  so wherever the wheels are mounted they will be correct.

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2019 at 11:11 PM, Avalon said:

Nope, but don’t believe me, have a look at a test conducted on normal tyres and make your own mind up.

http://www.ultrasealgb.co.uk/site/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=5

On 7/5/2019 at 2:56 PM, Heidfirst said:

mmm, yes - military HMMV tyres are not constructed like normal road tyres as they are designed to take IED blasts etc. & still run. Some HMMVs have a central tire (sic) inflation system. Your video doesn't show a test on an HMMV.

Were you expecting something different? I did clearly state that was a ‘normal’ tyre test eg of conventional construction in the post.

The military were running foam filled and what we now know as run-flat long before they were available commercially to the public, in some cases they ran fuel in the tyres on the recon bikes of old. Either way if you’re concerned about being able to drive continually without a puncture stopping you, or facing someone with an AK47 who is on commission from your local tyre place, ultraseal is a good bet.

24 minutes ago, Avalon said:

Were you expecting something different? I did clearly state that was a ‘normal’ tyre test eg of conventional construction in the post.

Frankly, yes, seeing as it was you that chose to use the HMMWV as the example in the first place. "Given that a tyre with Ultraseal can be shot with a high calibre round through the side wall and still manages to keep going with a fully loaded and armoured HUMMV," A fully loaded & armoured HMMWV wouldn't be fitted with normal tyres so showing that test is irrelevant to that example. Now, if from the outset you had said/used e.g. a normal, road going Range Rover as your example we wouldn't be doing this. 😛

14 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

Frankly, yes, seeing as it was you that chose to use the HMMWV as the example in the first place. "Given that a tyre with Ultraseal can be shot with a high calibre round through the side wall and still manages to keep going with a fully loaded and armoured HUMMV," A fully loaded & armoured HMMWV wouldn't be fitted with normal tyres so showing that test is irrelevant to that example. Now, if from the outset you had said/used e.g. a normal, road going Range Rover as your example we wouldn't be doing this. 😛

But you’d already decided and posted that the HUMMV test was irrelevant (in your opinion, but without looking at the detail) in your first reply, that was the whole point in posting a ‘normal’ test.

Either way if you are interested in any of the Ultraseal tests and approvals have a look at: https://www.ultra-seal.eu/test-results/tested-all-over-the-world

No affiliation, just used it for years on cars and bikes that have no spare with zero issues other than the tyre fitter complaining when I forget to warn him before dismounting from a rim.

try looking on motor cycle forums real world and tyre opinions to check out tyre sealants . I ran a Honda Gold-wing later having a sidecar fitted no punctures at all trouble, is I can’t remember the tyre sealant I used  

🤔 I phoned my dealer to request install of removable tow bar and queried the spare situation.... He went away to clarify and told me car would be supplied with space saver.... Said ordering a full size spare was not an option? It makes sense that I can't tow on a space saver but I'm getting a little confused with tyre availability generally... A quote of £350 for a full size spare doesn't sound too bad but how come my "stealer" seems to think its not an option? As to these Dunlop tyres as soon as they're done I'll put Michelins all round are cross climates going to be OK? 

Thanks in advance of your help... 

PeteB has a full size spare, details on this if you read through the posts

2 hours ago, Southern Softy said:

PeteB has a full size spare, details on this if you read through the posts

Not actually got it yet, but have had quote from dealer £318.08 for silver wheel matching those on my Excel.

see 

DaveKA confirmed his fitted under the boot floor and my dealer double checked by taking one of my wheels off.  I believe Tomfromfife either has one or is getting one.

On 7/7/2019 at 1:37 AM, Ezcritique said:

🤔 I phoned my dealer to request install of removable tow bar and queried the spare situation.... He went away to clarify and told me car would be supplied with space saver.... Said ordering a full size spare was not an option? It makes sense that I can't tow on a space saver but I'm getting a little confused with tyre availability generally... A quote of £350 for a full size spare doesn't sound too bad but how come my "stealer" seems to think its not an option? As to these Dunlop tyres as soon as they're done I'll put Michelins all round are cross climates going to be OK? 

Thanks in advance of your help... 

I used cross climates on my BMW X3 and they were fine. My wife has them on her Lexus and I have fitted them to my RAV4 AWD Excel. They are quieter, more comfortable, and excellent in the wet.

On 7/7/2019 at 1:37 AM, Ezcritique said:

A quote of £350 for a full size spare doesn't sound too bad but how come my "stealer" seems to think its not an option?

because he will type your reg/vin etc. into the Toyota system & the system won't show it as an option because it hasn't been type-approved with it (for reasons of emission/fuel economy which then affects tax). You need to find someone who is used to or willing to work outwith the system.

• 6 months later...

I noticed my new car (picking up 1st March) has PT30s fitted. 

This is a bit worrying as a quick Google search reveals these are still almost impossible to get hold of. Anyone had any luck replacing a damaged one?

IMG_20200202_174316.jpg

See my earlier post of 19th June (first page of this topic).

The PT30's are made by Sumitomo, who have the rights to the Dunlop brand in North America and Asia.

Goodyear have the rights to the Dunlop brand in Europe, which is why the PT30's aren't available via Dunlop Europe.

17 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

See my earlier post of 19th June (first page of this topic).

The PT30's are made by Sumitomo, who have the rights to the Dunlop brand in North America and Asia.

Goodyear have the rights to the Dunlop brand in Europe, which is why the PT30's aren't available via Dunlop Europe.

Thanks. 

It seems pretty poor that those of us with PT30s are subject to Toyota dealer's mercy (in relation to price and availability) for replacements. 

If anyone needs a PT30 I have 3, which have only covered 300 miles. The 4th PT30 is on my full size spare as I have 4 cross climates, which are directional, the PT30 isn’t directional so can be used either side. A directional spare can only be used safely on one side.

Sensible offers if you need one just DM me.

25 minutes ago, MrBee said:

Thanks. 

It seems pretty poor that those of us with PT30s are subject to Toyota dealer's mercy (in relation to price and availability) for replacements. 

Not sure that Toyota dealers will be able to get these. Dunlop Europe (Goodyear) do Dunlop Grandtrek ST30's which are a different tread pattern.

On 6/25/2019 at 6:42 PM, Tomfromfife said:

I just had a response from Toyota Customer Services regarding the unavailability of Dunlop Grandtek PT30 tyres for the 2019 RAV4.

I was told that this is how you can order the tyres.

Go to your Toyota dealer’s Parts Department. Ask them to order the tyre giving the type and size details. In my case Dunlop Grandtek PT30 225/60 R18 100 H.

Tell them that they need to order the tyre through STAPLETONS WHOLESALE TYRE DIVISION. The parts person may not understand so ask to talk to the Parts Manager. If they don’t understand then tell them that this information came from Toyota Customer Services. The guy I spoke to was Bernie. Do not go through Sales or Service. Go to the parts department.

Apparently Stapletons import these tyres from Japan for sale to Toyota Dealers and is the only source for these tyres.

The guy at Toyota appeared to be sure of this procedure to obtain the tyres and spent some time researching the issue.Let this forum know if anyone obtains these tyres this way.

I am hoping the Dunlops are (and remain) unavailable! especially to Kwikfit who handle our fleet tyres.

The traction of the Dunlops is laughable, lightly buttered icecream would be better. At least sideways grip is tolerable so its not too dangerous.

So I hope when mine are worn (and they are wearing fast) I get given something else, anything would probably be better.

Worst tyres I have ever had on a new car. God help us if they try fitting them to the 300bhp PHEV RAV4!! you will disappear in a cloud of tyre smoke every trip 

10 minutes ago, Rav Rob said:

I am hoping the Dunlops are (and remain) unavailable! especially to Kwikfit who handle our fleet tyres.

The traction of the Dunlops is laughable, lightly buttered icecream would be better. At least sideways grip is tolerable so its not too dangerous.

So I hope when mine are worn (and they are wearing fast) I get given something else, anything would probably be better.

Worst tyres I have ever had on a new car. God help us if they try fitting them to the 300bhp PHEV RAV4!! you will disappear in a cloud of tyre smoke every trip 

Oh dear, does not sound good. 

I wonder what my dealer would say if I said I wanted my tyres changed before delivery (due to be 1st March) at no cost?

Basically, if one needs replacing you need them all done if you cannot get another PT30.  Sounds dodgy to me. 

2 minutes ago, MrBee said:

Oh dear, does not sound good. 

I wonder what my dealer would say if I said I wanted my tyres changed before delivery (due to be 1st March) at no cost?

Basically, if one needs replacing you need them all done if you cannot get another PT30.  Sounds dodgy to me. 

I wouldn't worry about it, its mainly the front, although sort of a 4WD vehicle the RAV has a lot more power on the front than the back as it only has a fairly weak electric motor back there so the Dunlops don't come under much demand on the back (my rears are over 6mm left, the fronts less than 4mm after 10K miles).

The way mine are wearing it won't be too long before you can replace with something better. Sideways they are not too bad, its just getting off the line it takes surprisingly little prod on the pedal for a bit of spin, you get used to it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rav Rob said:

I wouldn't worry about it, its mainly the front, although sort of a 4WD vehicle the RAV has a lot more power on the front than the back as it only has a fairly weak electric motor back there so the Dunlops don't come under much demand on the back (my rears are over 6mm left, the fronts less than 4mm after 10K miles).

The way mine are wearing it won't be too long before you can replace with something better. Sideways they are not too bad, its just getting off the line it takes surprisingly little prod on the pedal for a bit of spin, you get used to it.

Cheers 👍