Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres on new 2019 RAV4 Hybrid

Tomfromfife

On 6/19/2019 at 6:49 PM, PeteB said:

Oh great!.  If mine comes with PT30s too (which is what was on the demo car), it means when I buy a 5th alloy I can't get an identical tyre!

From my notes when I first considered the RAV4 in March, they were available on Black Circles then (£115.385 each including vat & fitting), so maybe it's a temporary thing.

tyreleader.co.uk do list PT30s but they are marked as "Demo", which is defined by them as "Tyre that has been mounted and dismounted and may have been used on a few kilometres. This tyre is guaranteed and new."  Personally, I wouldn't risk this.

I'll ask my dealer on Friday when I collect my car.

I might bite the bullet and look at getting 5 all season tyres, possibly:

Bridgestone Weather Control A005 (Fuel-C, Wet-A, Noise-71)

or

Michelin CrossClimate SUV  (Fuel-B, Wet-B, Noise-69)

Will mean I have not just the space saver to dispose of, but 4 almost new tyres!

My 2020 RAV4 Dynamic came with a full size (black)alloy spare. Are you sure you'll have to but a 5th alloy ?

8 hours ago, Jean Jacques said:

My 2020 RAV4 Dynamic came with a full size (black)alloy spare. Are you sure you'll have to but a 5th alloy ?

They must have charged it then.

Mine came with a space saver (admittedly the largest I've ever seen on a substantial alloy wheel), and I bought a matching full size spare wheel.  I'm sure some other people who got Dynamics last summer said they got a space saver, unless they had the sunroof in which case they got a tyre repair kit instead.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 9:58 PM, PeteB said:

They must have charged it then.

Mine came with a space saver (admittedly the largest I've ever seen on a substantial alloy wheel), and I bought a matching full size spare wheel.  I'm sure some other people who got Dynamics last summer said they got a space saver, unless they had the sunroof in which case they got a tyre repair kit instead.

Don't forget that when you got the sun roof, Toyota would not put in a spare tyre, you just got the gunk kit, (probably due to going above weight/emotions spec on a new car leaving show room) . I was told I could come back and ask for a spare but could not have it before hand.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Just acquired my 2020 Excel as a six-month old ex-demo from Arnold Clark's Glasgow Toyota outlet.

Purchased on-line as a 'click and collect' and it was 'delivered' to Clark's Carlisle branch where I picked it up yesterday.

I knew the car was shod with the dreaded Dunlop PT30 tyres. However, inspecting the car in better weather conditions at home today,  I've noticed the offside front tyre has been replaced with a Dunlop ST30.

Surely this is bad practice; tyres should not be mixed, especially on the same axle.

Obviously the ST30 has been fitted because the PT30s are unobtainable. The tread patterns are completely different. Do you think this is a potential safety issue? Any opinions/suggestions/help would be much appreciated.

I plan on ringing Clark's on Monday but I want as much ammunition as possible to deal with the problem.

Somewhat surprisingly, I can find nothing in the handbook about tyres other than dealing with punctures.

Many thanks,

Peter

It isn't illegal to have different makes of tyre on the same axle as long as they're the same size and the same type of construction (eg radials, etc).

The PT30 are made by Sumitomo (who own the Dunlop brand in Asia) and the ST30 are made by Goodyear (who own the Dunlop brand in Europe).

Hi,

Different make and models tyres even the exact same size and type not recommended to  be mixed especially on same axle. Two different tyres on the same axle can add extra stress (heat) on the differential and bearings in the transmission in a long run, in short term you may feel car pulling sideways left or right when braking hard sometimes or and when slowing down on different surfaces. Not that you are going’s to get all of these noted straight away but it is possible. If it’s me I will fight with dealer to find me an original tyre same as other 3, or supply another one same as the new tyre to match the axle. If not able to get anything from the dealer I will at least swap the tyres front with rear to set the front axle with matching tyres. 

• Thanks 1

You're quite right Frosty; it's not illegal, just not ideal; I guess I'm stuck with the situation.

I suppose traction control and abs on modern cars offsets problems that may have occurred in the past.

I think I'll run the car on the present tyres over the summer and consider changing to Michelin Cross Climates for next winter. More expense 🙄!!

17 minutes ago, rav4x4man said:

You're quite right Frosty; it's not illegal, just not ideal; I guess I'm stuck with the situation.

I suppose traction control and abs on modern cars offsets problems that may have occurred in the past.

I think I'll run the car on the present tyres over the summer and consider changing to Michelin Cross Climates for next winter. More expense 🙄!!

... or swap to the all season tyres of your choice now (yes, more expense) and sell the lightly used Dunlops to folk who need a replacement that they can't otherwise obtain and defray part of the expense that way ...

I suspect that what I should have done in terms of economics, but I just refused to take delivery of a car with Grandtreks and paid the dealer to shod it with proper tyres from the outset. That way I had the tyres I wanted and the dealer had four brand new PT30s to supply as replacements to other owners who needed them. My only complaint is that the dealership valued the PT30s at £0 ...

• Thanks 1

Thank you Philip and Tony; your comments are much appreciated.

I will get in touch with the sales at Arnold Clark tomorrow and see where things go.

I'm not holding my breath!

I'll post developments as they unfold.

• Thanks 1

Well I'm still awaiting a response from Arnold Clark; funny how enthusiasm to contact a customer fades as soon as you've completed the sales transaction.

Meanwhile I've decided to bite the bullet and change all the tyres to Michelin Cross Climates.

I've got them on order from my local independent tyre dealer and hope to have them fitted later next week.

I'll continue to pursue Arnold Clark who set this whole thing going by fitting the non-matching Dunlops :angry:.

I would like some compensation, at least to the value of a Dunlop ST30.

Excellent news; I've just received a message from Arnold Clark and they will reimburse me for a tyre.

So full marks to them; my faith is restored 🙂.

Collected my latest RAV from the dealer. It’s a Dynamic. Thought it would be fitted with Bridgestone Allenza tyres but was surprised to see its fitted with Toyo Proxes R46A tyres. Looking at the Toyo website they say the R46 tyre ( no A ) was developed for the Mazda CX-5.

I assume Toyota fit different tyres depending on availability and perhaps price deals.

1 hour ago, robo1 said:

Collected my latest RAV from the dealer. It’s a Dynamic. Thought it would be fitted with Bridgestone Allenza tyres but was surprised to see its fitted with Toyo Proxes R46A tyres. Looking at the Toyo website they say the R46 tyre ( no A ) was developed for the Mazda CX-5.

I assume Toyota fit different tyres depending on availability and perhaps price deals.

Or it may be that as the Sumitomo Dunlop ST30 tyres aren't readily available in Europe via Goodyear Dunlop, Toyota may have changed one of their suppliers for European market vehicles.

Toyo have had a long relationship with Mazda - for example having developed a particular tyre for the Premacy in 1999.

Must admit I had not heard of Toyo tyres before pickup. On the Toyo website R46 tyres are listed not R46A so I am assuming they will be very similar. ? Signifies Toyota version. 

1 hour ago, robo1 said:

I think maybe all manufacturers may fit alternatives at times. All it needs is a holdup somewhere due to production hold up or delivery problem and they will try to keep production line flowing. 
Good example is the news I read this morning. A huge cargo ship has grounded blocking the Suez Canal, may take couple weeks to get it moving. In the meantime other ships are held up. What’s in those cargo holds could be anything from complete vehicles, to shipment of parts ie tyres, anything really, computers, washing machines etc. Another example, a big Asian supplier of computer chips has massive production problems, that could affect supply of new vehicles too.

I would imagine the A signifies asymmetric tyre, it will probably say "outside" or have a direction arrow on it

Yes tyres marked with outside on the walls. Thought it might be similar to white goods where model numbers differ slightly for the same appliance from different retailers. 

9 hours ago, robo1 said:

I don't know what it is with Toyota and tyres, they seem to go out their way to pick the most mediocre, those ones are only C rated wet grip, C economy and 70db noise. And they are not even cheap or a good deal.

Since I got my Conti Sport Contacts it transformed it into a new car, they are not so good on economy, but A rated wet grip and correspondingly better on dry grip too. The difference between A and C is something like two car lengths stopping distance in the wet and vastly more cornering security.

I would expect standard tyres of at least B rated wet, C economy and 69db noise (as car runs quiet in EV) for a car of this weight and price.

Talking of tyres, I am due to replace my RAV this year and seriously considering another!  but disappointed to see the Excel now has 19" wheels instead of 18" on mine.. one of the big, big points of the RAV is the cruise comfort and 19"s are always detrimental in my experience, would have to try it but it could even be a deal breaker for me as I do a lot of miles its critical. Sad as it looks fine on 18" and rides so well.

15 minutes ago, Rav Rob said:

I don't know what it is with Toyota and tyres, they seem to go out their way to pick the most mediocre

My last four Toyotas have all had Continental tyres as OE which have been fine. 

Hi

I have 19 inch wheels withToyo tyres on my excel and have had a ride in another excel with the 18 inch wheels.

To be honest I couldn’t tell any difference in the ride though I must admit that I was a little concerned when I discovered that I would be getting the MY21 model.

Hope this helps

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terry10 said:

Hi

I have 19 inch wheels withToyo tyres on my excel and have had a ride in another excel with the 18 inch wheels.

To be honest I couldn’t tell any difference in the ride though I must admit that I was a little concerned when I discovered that I would be getting the MY21 model.

Hope this helps

Terry

That is cool to hear, the RAV is one of the softer SUV's, perhaps it is enough to mask the effect.  Cheers.

On 3/19/2021 at 10:19 AM, rav4x4man said:

Excellent news; I've just received a message from Arnold Clark and they will reimburse me for a tyre.

So full marks to them; my faith is restored 🙂.

I now have the Michelin Cross Climates fitted; the car does 'feel' better on the road and is noticeably quieter.

Arnold Clark Glasgow honored their promise and sent a cheque for one tyre as soon as I submitted the invoice; as I said before, full marks to them. Reassuring to know big dealerships really do care when a problem arises.

Going off at a slight tangent, I completed the vehicle upgrading by fitting Bosch Wiper Blades. The original blades were leaving the screen smeary on the driver's side (a problem mentioned elsewhere on the forum).

Instant fix with the Bosch Aerotwin blades; they are excellent. I purchased mine from Euro Car Parts:

Bosch Aerotwin wiper Blades:-

Driver’s side:     AR26U

Passenger side: AR16U

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1