Tomfromfife

Tyres on new 2019 RAV4 Hybrid

Recommended Posts

👍👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be swapping Dunlops or Brigstiones to Michelin Cross Climate 104W XL SUV (All Season) 225/60WR18  B B 69db, they can be had for around £115 each (with Michelin or Costco promos) and then sell 'old' tyres on ebay or gumtree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Martin I received a reply from Toyota uk regarding tyres , as expected “contact your dealer”   🙄 I also asked the question regarding the Rear awd Badge and the answer was . Toyota uk are the distributor and have no control of the cars specifications or designs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to buy a full size spare wheel. In the owners manual it implies that the TPWS system can monitor 5 wheels but I can find no other information. The owners manual states...

Situations in which the tire pressure warning system may not operate properly.....

If the spare tire is in a location subject to poor radio wave signal reception.* •

If a large metallic object which can interfere with signal reception is put in the luggage compartment.*
*: Vehicles with full-size spare tire only

Has anyone have experience of TPWS on the full size spare?

Thanks

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had a response from Toyota Customer Services regarding the unavailability of Dunlop Grandtek PT30 tyres for the 2019 RAV4.

I was told that this is how you can order the tyres.

Go to your Toyota dealer’s Parts Department. Ask them to order the tyre giving the type and size details. In my case Dunlop Grandtek PT30 225/60 R18 100 H.

Tell them that they need to order the tyre through STAPLETONS WHOLESALE TYRE DIVISION. The parts person may not understand so ask to talk to the Parts Manager. If they don’t understand then tell them that this information came from Toyota Customer Services. The guy I spoke to was Bernie. Do not go through Sales or Service. Go to the parts department.

Apparently Stapletons import these tyres from Japan for sale to Toyota Dealers and is the only source for these tyres.

The guy at Toyota appeared to be sure of this procedure to obtain the tyres and spent some time researching the issue.Let this forum know if anyone obtains these tyres this way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well done and thank you Martin . I’ll show my dealership 👏👏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK folks, this is it on the PT30 tyres.

i had a call back from Toyota Customer Relations. See my previous post.

I went to my dealership and spoke to the parts department and explained what Toyota CS said. He phoned Stapletons Wholesale Tyre Division who called Dunlop/Goodyear. There are no PT30 tyres available in the UK but they can be ordered. The lead time is over 3 months and the rough cost will be £170 plus VAT so around £204 each !

Stapletons explained that the PT30 tyres are called ‘warranty tyres’ . As far as I understood that means that the tyres are warrantied for as long as the vehicle warranty for manufacturing defects. You would still have to wait over 3 months for a replacement. They also said that if a tyre has an unrepairable puncture or damage, then all 4 tyres need to be replaced as tread patterns will be different if a different tyre is fitted. If you buy a full size spare then you cannot buy a matching tyre without paying a lot of £££ for it and wait.

This is a poor situation.

i noticed that the RAV4 in the dealership showroom has PT30 tyres.

It doesn’t seem right that Toyota customers are put in that position but I am not sure of the legal position.

I will raise a complaint to Toyota head office in Japan. I don’t think they want this hitting the motoring or wider media.

I will post the email address if I can find it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoa!   I guess I'm lucky mine came with the Bridgestone Alenzas, which seem to be easily available.

I think if I'd got those, I'd just buy 5 All Season Tyres and fit them now, then advertise the original tyres on here for any RAV owners wanting a spare or replacement!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Tomfromfife said:

OK folks, this is it on the PT30 tyres.

i had a call back from Toyota Customer Relations. See my previous post.

I went to my dealership and spoke to the parts department and explained what Toyota CS said. He phoned Stapletons Wholesale Tyre Division who called Dunlop/Goodyear. There are no PT30 tyres available in the UK but they can be ordered. The lead time is over 3 months and the rough cost will be £170 plus VAT so around £204 each !

Stapletons explained that the PT30 tyres are called ‘warranty tyres’ . As far as I understood that means that the tyres are warrantied for as long as the vehicle warranty for manufacturing defects. You would still have to wait over 3 months for a replacement. They also said that if a tyre has an unrepairable puncture or damage, then all 4 tyres need to be replaced as tread patterns will be different if a different tyre is fitted. If you buy a full size spare then you cannot buy a matching tyre without paying a lot of £££ for it and wait.

This is a poor situation.

i noticed that the RAV4 in the dealership showroom has PT30 tyres.

It doesn’t seem right that Toyota customers are put in that position but I am not sure of the legal position.

I will raise a complaint to Toyota head office in Japan. I don’t think they want this hitting the motoring or wider media.

I will post the email address if I can find it.

Legal position is they supplied a tyre package on the car, unless it’s defective or not fit for purpose in some way, good luck getting them to do anything.

Playing devils advocate here, any non repairable puncture on any car would result in both tyres on the axle being replaced in ideal circumstances. The same is true on any AWD with all tyres, as in theory they should be rotated to wear out at the same time and mismatching wear/grip front to back can cause grip/abs/diff issues ‘in theory’, Costco for example still refuse (not get you to sign a disclaimer but actually turn business away) to change two tyres on an AWD, it’s literally all or nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually the tyre manufacturer is responsible for the tyre warranty. From my service and warranty booklet, that is also the case with Toyota.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

take a look very informative review on all season tyres 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if anytime soon something like this will make a spare wheel genuinely unnecessary?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, PeteB said:

Whoa!   I guess I'm lucky mine came with the Bridgestone Alenzas, which seem to be easily available.

I think if I'd got those, I'd just buy 5 All Season Tyres and fit them now, then advertise the original tyres on here for any RAV owners wanting a spare or replacement!

Exactly what I will probably do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had a call from my dealers parts department. They will have a Dunlop Grandtek PT30 225/60 R18 100 H in stock tomorrow although it is expensive, probably around £200 but the buyer will need to ask the dealer. The dealer is Struans in Dundee.

Also, the tyre wholesaler, Stapletons, have ordered 30 or so Dunlop Grandtek PT30 225/60 R18 100 H tyres from Japan with a lead time of around 3 months, for the Toyota dealers. These will also be expensive. It appears that raising the issue with Toyota, Stapletons and the dealers may have pushed them into action.

I have committed to Michelin Cross Climates now so won’t be needing one myself. As an aside a new full size spare wheel with no centre cap and no TPWS valve is around £350. Mine has just arrived in stock. Selling 4xPT30 tyres that come off the car and the space saver wheel will offset some of the costs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks again Martin for all your updates as I said in an early post I’ll change to winter tyres then back to summer tyres I am retired and my dealer is 1&1/2 miles away . Off fishing ( fly trout) once again thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Tomfromfife said:

Selling 4xPT30 tyres that come off the car and the space saver wheel will offset some of the costs.

If you are going to post the sale on Toyota Owners Club, please use the For Sale section and include an indicative price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2019 at 9:25 AM, Tomfromfife said:

Toyota Warnings regarding tyre from the owners manual...

WARNING
 ●Do not use tire sizes other than those recommended by Toyota.
●Do not mix differently constructed tires (radial, bias-belted or bias-ply tires).
●Do not mix summer, all season and snow tires.
●Do not use tires that have been used on another vehicle. 
Do not use tires if you do not know how they were used previously.  ( so don’t use DEMO tyres)
●Vehicles with compact spare tire: Do not tow if your vehicle has a compact spare tire installed.
●Vehicles with emergency tire punc- ture repair kit: Do not tow anything if a tire that has been repaired using the emergency tire puncture repair kit is installed. The load on the tire may cause unexpected damage to the tire.

I love the idea that Toyota warn you not to use tyres where you don't know how they were used previously. On that basis they would need to replace most of the tyres on their used vehicles in order to comply with this requirement, because who knows how it was used for those (tens of) thousands of miles!

 

 

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not to mention abandoning your trailer at the roadside if you're towing and have to use the spacesaver or gunge!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given that a tyre with Ultraseal can be shot with a high calibre round through the side wall and still manages to keep going with a fully loaded and armoured HUMMV, I think Toyota are using this ‘guidance’ as a method to cover its corporate rear end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Avalon said:

Given that a tyre with Ultraseal can be shot with a high calibre round through the side wall and still manages to keep going with a fully loaded and armoured HUMMV, I think Toyota are using this ‘guidance’ as a method to cover its corporate rear end.

Probably but military HUMMV tyres are not constructed like your ordinary road tyres - they are designed to take IED blasts, run flat etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heidfirst said:

Probably but military HUMMV tyres are not constructed like your ordinary road tyres - they are designed to take IED blasts, run flat etc.

 

Nope, but don’t believe me, have a look at a test conducted on normal tyres and make your own mind up.

http://www.ultrasealgb.co.uk/site/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...