Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Belt & AC unit problem

D4DPete

Hi my ac unit has sheared off so I now need to remove the unit and install a smaller belt.  It’s a 2006 Avensis D4D T180.  Great car in all other ways - can anyone share the right pulley diagram and belt part number/information  +any other advice?  

I’m only going to be the helper as my father in law is much more savvy than me!

What size and model type of engine, as the guys who know which belts to use would need to know those details?

Hi Paul 

It’s a diesel, 2231cc, D-4D T180 manufactured in 2006.

thank you for the advice 

pete

Found this from older posts. When I checked on a couple of sites - Continental and Gates, both 2.0l and 2.2l use the same belts, but don't show any option without. If there is a fix for one engine, I assume it covers both engines!

Thank you for that.

Ive spoken to Toyota and my engine variant is 2AD.  This model has slightly different pulley assembly and it never came without aircon......seems I’m looking for a custom belt unless anyone has found one that works and can share!

On 6/20/2019 at 10:23 AM, D4DPete said:

Thank you for that.

Ive spoken to Toyota and my engine variant is 2AD.  This model has slightly different pulley assembly and it never came without aircon......seems I’m looking for a custom belt unless anyone has found one that works and can share!

So, once we got the front end off and radiators off, we found that the aircon unit had only been mounted with two out of four bolts - hence it sheering off on one side and snapping the bolt on the other.  Been able to re attach the aircon unit with three bolts to effectively be a pulley wheel - not attaching the cables to the unit so that it doesn’t engage.  

Now calling it a day - Almost finishes the ‘pig of a job’ getting the radiators back in place and reconnected (it’s the intercooler Hose fittings that are a pig and they are now being replaced with a length of radiator hose coupled with 3.5” pipe connectors to grip with jubilee clips 😂

It looks like my lovely d avensis could be back on the road for less than £10 parts +antifreeze and 1.5 days work for two of us. 🤞

One and a half days of work and the rest of the week scrubbing the oil off your hands and out of your fingernails, lol. My aircon has a major leak somewhere. I suspect the radiator, as the car had been in some kind of front end collision. I was thinking about bypassing the compressor to reduce the drag, as the belt has seen better days and looks due a change. I'll probably end up just leaving it in the belt path, though. Just wondering if the fuel consumption would be noticeably better.

25 minutes ago, paul9 said:

One and a half days of work and the rest of the week scrubbing the oil off your hands and out of your fingernails, lol. My aircon has a major leak somewhere. I suspect the radiator, as the car had been in some kind of front end collision. I was thinking about bypassing the compressor to reduce the drag, as the belt has seen better days and looks due a change. I'll probably end up just leaving it in the belt path, though. Just wondering if the fuel consumption would be noticeably better.

If its a big leak normally you can see PAG oil residue at the site of the leak. Use a small powerful torch to inspect both sides of the condenser (can be in situ). If its a T25 then cracking of the pipe that runs on the gearbox side of the engine bay is common. Its a design fault.

• Thanks 1