Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine rattle

Jade48

Hi,

I'm not sure whether I'm posting in the correct place but here goes!

I have a Toyota Aygo 62 Reg - Semi Auto. First thing in the morning when I start up and pull away the Engine violently shakes, it's almost like it's going to jump out the bonnet. This will happen for the first 5 minutes or so of driving when I stop at lights and pull away for example. You can hear it bang about and the whole car will shake. It sounds really bad. It has been into Arnold Clarke and they replaced my exhaust but refuse to address the issue with the Engine. It's been with them about 5 times and still nothing is being done. I am sick of taking it back and forth so I'm taking it into my trusty Mechanic tomorrow. The Engine does not seem loose so I'm struggling to see what the issue could be.

Any ideas on what this could be? I'm hoping it's nothing too expensive but I doubt that will be the case.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The engine may not be firing on all three cylinders.

If one cylinder is d start the engine , it will be even worse, if it runs at all, when you take off a plug lead to a cylinder that is OK, but if you take off the lead of a cylinder that is not working then the vibration will be the same as you have now, so that is the faulty one.

The "engine light", EML, doesn't always light up when a coil pack fails, I believe, so an OBD code reader will not help diagnose it, if that is the problem.

May be something else of course..!

A trusted mechanic is a good way to go.

My first thought is a transmission issue. If it were a manual then I'd have instantly said it sounds like the clutch is grabbing and not slipping cleanly. Your description exactly fit that scenario.

I'd say transmission issue here.

That is good thinking about it being a clutch fault...those symptoms do sound like a problem clutch but as it is an “auto” I didn’t really consider it as a possible cause, but of course there is a clutch in there somewhere!

Rule out the engine by starting the engine when cold, make sure the shift stick is in neutral and gently rev the engine a few times. The engines are a bit noisy when cold, but it should rev cleanly and smoothly. Any major problems with the engine should become apparent.

A worn, damaged or loose engine mounting can cause very nasty engine shakes when a clutch is being engaged.

Would you describe the feeling as clutch engaging and disengaging rapidly, or like it's slipping, then got a grip, then slip again ?

Try releasing the clutch slower, and at lower rpm's, and see if that helps

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links