Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New RAV4 in list of cars rated poor for vulnerability to keyless theft relay attacks

PeteB

I guess all the other Toyota models with keyless entry/start are vulnerable.  It they had a system to disable the key after a period of non movement like Ford has introduced for some models,. I'm sure they'd be shouting about it.  Disappointing Toyota hasn't done something like this.

A £90,000 Range Rover was recently stolen in my area by this method, even though the owner claimed his key was in a Faraday pouch.  I'm not totally convinced mine is effective either, but there's no obvious way of testing it.

I've now got into the habit of putting my key to sleep when I get home, by holding the lock button and double pressing the unlock button.  Two double flashes of the little led confirms it's worked, and I have to press a button to reactivate the key when I want to enter the car.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/more-new-cars-slammed-for-keyless-theft-flaws/ar-AAD9J9M?ocid=spartanntp

Back in March the Corolla hybrid was included in the first list.

This is why Police forces recommend using a good quality steering wheel locking device - ie tested by Sold Secure for example

Hi Pete,

Interesting point about putting the key to sleep, I did not realise you could do this so will give it a try when my Rav4 arrives.

Thanks for the heads up on this 

Need to do it to the spare key too.  At least it will make the Battery last longer.

1 hour ago, PeteB said:

A £90,000 Range Rover was recently stolen in my area by this method

JLR products were especially vulnerable up to about 18 months ago, when JLR upped the security. Dozens were stolen around Solihull and Sutton Coldfield..

I just disabled the SKS remote entry in the car options, solved that issue.    I am quite happy to press a button to unlock/lock, just like the old days!

I can even remember when you put your key in the door lock to open it - must stop reminiscing about the good old days !!

14 minutes ago, Southern Softy said:

I can even remember when you put your key in the door lock to open it - must stop reminiscing about the good old days !!

and manually locking/unlocking each door individually...

Not to mention pulling the choke out, winding windows, manually cancelling indicators, pressing a plunger to squirt the windscreen...

... or a floor mounted dipswitch, windscreen washers powered by air pressure in the spare tyre, semaphor indicators, dash mounted indicator knob which one turned right for right turns and left for left turns (Austin A35), opening quearter lights, wing mirrors (as opposed to door mirrors), vinyl roofs, krooklocks, vinyl seats, .....

but most of all, and seriously, cars that could kill you in what today would be a trivial collision.

I had a 40 mph shunt in a Gen 1 Prius, and received no injuries at all.

If I'd had that crash in any of the first five cars I owned, I would have been dead.

I remember a professional crash investor saying that in the 1950s and 60s people occasionally died in collisions at just 10 mph!

My not so fond memories include my Rover 105R with starting handle.  Standing ankle deep in slush with snow falling in Northumberland, trying to start the b....y thing, because the Battery had gone flat, because the voltage regulator had "gone funny".  Luckily it did eventually start (without writing my thumb off!), and I then learned how to adjust the VR - it wasn't how it stated in the service manual 😬

And my Dad's 1936 Studebaker, with vacuum operated wipers.  Just don't expect a clear screen if you're climbing a hill.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links