Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying used 3gen or leasing used 4gen

lovec1990

So that around £28,000, that would be next to top of range in uk - Business Edition Plus as it called.

thats my problem here in Slovenia Prius is so unpopular so sellers do not know at what price to sell it so prices are everywere. I might have to start looking at alternative: Toyota Corolla Hybrid you can get new one here for 22600€

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

While im still searching im kinda swayed at the moment into buying 3gen becouse i would be buying it so i would have peace of mind becouse i would own the car from day 1 plus all issues are known so i can be prepared for them plus mechanics are familiar with them as well.

As side note: I was able to see 2 gen Prius on parking lot and its official for me Prius-es are more beautiful inperson

Hi Ziga, we have a saying here in the UK “beauty is in the eyes of the beholder (person)”. That means what is good looking to one person is horrible to another. I think the Prius is one of those cars you either love or hate.  I used to think they look horrible, but over time I got like what was beyond its looks, so I bought a Gen 3. But I still disliked the Gen4, saying it looked like a smashed car at the from end. But I liked the inner qualities of the Gen3 so much that within 6 months I had bought a used (2+year old Gen4). Not sorry I did, wonderful car.

i understand what you say about having a gen3, you can afford to buy all of it,  o lease. That has advantages. But your other point re “all issues are known” - I understand your thinking........ the gen3 has been in uk since 2009 and has proved to be very reliable. The Gen4 is a 2016 model, but it too has proved to be very reliable, no more problems then gen3.   I am not surprised at that. Toyota got the basic engineering of the hybrid system right in 1998/99 when gen1 was introduced. True, they have changed some things for the better,  it that is called progress. But the basics of the car have remained the same. The basis of the first Prius was very good, and that has been retained, even bettered.

I do not think you would have any more problems with a Gen4 then a gen3, maybe even less.

Interesting you said that sellers do not seem to know what price to charge for a Prius. I would take advantage of that. Whatever you choose, choose carefully. You may look at a low priced car which could prove to be a real good one, but equally it could have problems due to lack of service, the ways it’s driven. You good look at a high priced car and it may look good but may be not as good as a good low priced car. Start looking and testing the Prius. You may like the drive of a gen3 and not a Gen4 or the other way round. And with Prius. Of being common in Slovenia makes your search for a good value for money car very difficult.

Keep expressing you thoughts, lots of experience here on this forum you can use to benefit you.

• Like 1

well 4 gen may be easier to find but still id prefere too find 2017 model so its not first year model. Other issue is that i need car regualy for job but trips are really short 2,4 miles in one direction so 4,8miles per day sadly location it makes walking plus cycling dificult and even dangerous so leasing car that will be doing so short trips is also concerning 

Very short trips in a Prius will mean you not on Battery very much. The computer system is always looking after engine. This means the computer likes to keep the engine warm, so you will find the engine will be running most of your short journeys, especially in cold weather.

im more worried about cousing any damage too car compared too MPG hit with such short trips

Couple of questions Ziga.

How many miles a year do you do?

what is the condition of the roads you mainly travel on?

Miles per year at worst 1100miles per year. Roads from home to job are flat 24% are city(31mph),24% industrial zone(24mph) rest is country road 55mph

I've been doing less than 3,000 miles a year for just over 3 years, mostly 2 to 3 mile journeys with no problems. Just make sure you use premium quality fuels and service every 10,000 miles or 1 year and you should have no issues.

As you can see below I am getting over 56 mpg even with little use.

• Like 1

so Prius can warm up its engine in 2.4miles

It depends on conditions, hot weather/cold weather, flat/hilly.  I go out of my house and turn right and I immediately on a hill. On a hot day I can go up hill and by the time I going down the other my engine can be off and on Battery (if enough energy in store), that’s about a mile. If I go out of my house and turn left I am on the flat, and even on a hot day it could two miles or so before computer changes from engine to Battery.  In cold weather those distances, both uphill or flat, can be a lot longer.

• Like 1

The original Prius had a blue thermometer symbol warning light for "engine cold" as well as the red one for overheating.  The blue one usually extinguished by about 1½ miles, although I was never sure whether that meant 'normal' or just "not too cold".  I can't remember if the Gen 2 had this, but the Gen 3 and 4 didn't.

My new RAV4 has an old fashioned temperature gauge (sadly, with no calibration so idea idea what the actual coolant temperature is), and that seems to register 'normal' in just one mile after starting in the current climate.  The roads are more or less level around here, no hills involved.

Update:

it looks lately im having luck with seeing Prius-es in real life yesterday just saw gray 3gen just did not paid attention enough too se if its facelifted version,but its same as with gen 2 its beautiful in person. Im still having doubts too lease 4gen i kinda fell more comfortable in thinking off buying 2011 Prius with 96312miles for 9800€ im so mesed up atm

If I read your message correct, Ziga, your doing 1100 miles per year, that is about 21 miles per week. Have I read that correct?

If so, unless you have lots of money you just want to spend why are you thinking of leasing a gen4 at €17000-€20000, its a nice car but a lot of money for something used 21 miles per week.

You could buy a nice gen3 for a more reasonable cost. In the UK the T-Spirit was the top model, but that may not get you leather seats - that must have been an option. You should be very happy whatever you get, but make sure it has had its service every, 12months/10000miles whichever comes first.

The gen3 you seen for €9800 (about £8800) would have to be from a dealer, preferably Toyota dealer, and in very good condition....... and haggle down the price, dont show your enthusiasm.  If a dealer, go look at another car they got, then slowly work toward the Prius, saying your not too fussed, but asking eventually for a good price. 

• Like 1

yes you are correct.

Gen 3 has all equipment i want its just that is alittle hard too find only two 2010s and one 2011 on sale atm and i would like to find facelifted version i read they fixed a few things

My gen3 was 2010, so I dont know how the facelift version was improved. Am sure someone else will come along who knows.

In 2012, Toyota facelifted the Mk3 version to freshen up the look of the car, upgrade the cabin materials and improve the suspension for a smoother ride. The Prius also got better multimedia,Bluetooth and sat nav technology.

I believe the chassis was stiffened to improve handling and address issues with rattles.

The facelift also acquired Daytime Running Lights and power folding mirrors.

My 2010 had a sat nav (very expensive to update maps.... but you only travel 21 miles per day, you dont need sat nav), it had bluetooth and cd player.

If you want smoother ride.....keep away from 17" wheels, 15" give much comfier ride, but there again you may not have a choice if Prius are so rare.

I found nothing wrong with the trim inside, it was durable (wore well)

I checked this morning and I had a good charge of Battery when I left, my time elapsed was 2 mins and 0.3 miles, the traffic stopped and my engine was off and that was at 17 degrees.

Even in the winter I am amazed at how quick the car warms up.

• Like 1

So in theory becouse of tech installed in 4 gen would handle short trips better than 3gen becouse ICE will be warm faster

1 minute ago, lovec1990 said:

So in theory becouse of tech installed in 4 gen would handle short trips better than 3gen becouse ICE will be warm faster

Yes.  One trick Gen 4 has is shutter for lower grill which blocks airflow while engine is cold and at the same time reduces drag.

it looks like i should focus on 4 gen and hope for any discount so lease would be lower and i would be more comfortable with it. Anyway 3 gen or 4 gen i would really need too read owners manuals so i could understand all the tech my Yaris 2002 is so primitive😁

Why are you now concerned about a warmer engine?  You not interested in better mpg which a warmer engine may give you. I would imagine, correct me if I am wrong, Slovenia has colder winters then UK, so warm engine may not happen in winter in so short a time period, and you travelling 2 miles to work anyway. I am a bit confused.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links