Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery/charging warning light on.

BALIKBAYAN

Hi everyone,

It was rather long time since I was here at the forum, but I only goes here when there is a problem with the car.

I noticed halfway home from work today that the red Battery light was on. When I came home I meassured the voltage with the engine off to 11.4 V!!! I asked my son for help to meassure the voltage with the engine running and it was at the same when I had the engine running. I tried different rpm's and it was no change in the Battery voltage. I have not had any problems starting the car and the Battery is 1½ years old. I put it on charging over the night and it seems like the battery was very drained.

I am afraid that I need a new generator, or might it be another fault that is not that expensive that I could not see when I was out looking at the car?

With such a low voltage as 11.4v with the engine running it would suggest your Alternator is faulty, a working alternator should give a reading of 13.8-14.2v

You may have brushes worn out in your alternator? Not so expensive fault. If you are d.i.y. there is an easy way to try to test (if you´re not d.i.y.- person, just skip following):

Knock the alternator side with wooden stick and little hammer. The brushes may move a little and get contact again for a while.I did that to my T27 and was able to drive at least 50 km with working alternator. I replaced brushes myself later.

Other possibility: charge Battery and drive to workshop. They have tools to measure the alternator.

You may also have fault charging regulator. Should not be too expensive too.

Sounds like a charge circuit fault...

1. loose/broken/corroded wire or connection.

2. Missing drivebelt!

3. There may be a fusible link in the alternator output cable to the Battery (not sure what model you have).

4. Alternator defect.

An alternator repair shop can repair your alternator. Normally lack of charge is caused by worn brushes. Possible faulty voltage regulator. Repair should not be too expensive.

Thanx for your answers.

The voltage regulator is in the alternator as far as I can read in the workshop manual and other places. How will I know if the fault is the voltage regulator? I might try to get the old alternator fixed and sell it.

I ordered a new alternator (complete with everything, less than €150 and Mr T wants €750 ish) and a new drivebelt (the one on the engine looks worn) from autodoc . I choose the cheapest and it was stated that was a direct fit and exchangepart with the correct toyota partnumber. I guess I will get my parts next week. It doesn't look too difficult to change the alternator.