Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cruise control

Chriss27

Having owned an Auris Hybrid previously and my current Rav 4, why can you only set the cruise control at a minimum of 28mph? I use cruise control a lot to ensure I don’t exceed the speed limit which is easily done sometimes despite the speedometer,  yet I am not able to do this in the increasing number of 20mph zones , unless I am missing a setting adjustment some where?

A good question and one that I've often pondered for the same reason.  I've found no way around it, but my last car, a 2016 Gen 4 Prius, at least had a speed limiter as well that could operate down to 20 mph (but again, why not lower still - there are plenty of business parks and country estates with 10 or 15 mph limits - I once got told off by the Hyde Park wardens for doing 11 mph in a 10 limit!).

However, there's good news on the horizon with the latest cars (at least the RAV4, and I'd be surprised if the new Corolla didn't follow suit).  On the 5th Generation RAV4 that I collected last Friday, the Cruise Control can be set down to 18 mph (the manual says "about 20 mph").  It is indeed very welcome in some of the longer and fairly straight 20 mph zones.  Oddly, the Speed Limiter still only works down to 20 mph, but it is useful where traffic conditions or twisty road layouts make using CC impractical.

On earlier Toyotas before the Adaptive (Radar) Cruise Control the CC could be set down to 25 mph, but this still didn't help in 20 zones.

It's a shame Toyota don't update their software during the life of a vehicle like some other companies now do, as this would be an ideal candidate for change and presumably is just a number in a table somewhere.

Is there a way to set the speed limiter to the speed limit detected by the vehicle on the new RAV4?

6 minutes ago, Tomfromfife said:

Is there a way to set the speed limiter to the speed limit detected by the vehicle on the new RAV4?

I don't think so from a re-read of the relevant section of the manual, but I'll double check next time I'm in the car.

No, I couldn't find a way of using RSA to set the speed limiter.