Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear pad replacement with electronic parkbrake

swinzon

So my dad has a 2012 avensis, we`re going on a 1000km trip on saturday, I checked the brakes beacuse he complained about squeaking noises. The rear pads are worn out, so I ordered some pads through my work. We got a Bosch KTS diagnostic tester, I hooked it up to see if it had any option to calibrate or tell the car that the pads are changed and to be calibrated but there are no option.

So before I do this I need some tips, how can I tell the car that the pads are changed and calibrate the calipers?
The EPB is a single motor under the car with two steel waiers to each caliper.

Thanks! :))

Hi, Patrick, welcome to TOC! 🙂

Did you search this forum? If you did you should have found a no. of posts/threads incl. several by Konrad such as 

22 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

Hi, Patrick, welcome to TOC! 🙂

Did you search this forum? If you did you should have found a no. of posts/threads incl. several by Konrad such as 

Thanks you! And thanks haha, I am new to forums so I didn't find any search option. Well, I'll just slap it togheter and hope for the best! x)

10 minutes ago, swinzon said:

, I am new to forums so I didn't find any search option. 

Top right below the header image is a rounded box that says "search" & has a magnifying glass icon.

12 hours ago, swinzon said:

So my dad has a 2012 avensis, we`re going on a 1000km trip on saturday, I checked the brakes beacuse he complained about squeaking noises. The rear pads are worn out, so I ordered some pads through my work. We got a Bosch KTS diagnostic tester, I hooked it up to see if it had any option to calibrate or tell the car that the pads are changed and to be calibrated but there are no option.

So before I do this I need some tips, how can I tell the car that the pads are changed and calibrate the calipers?
The EPB is a single motor under the car with two steel waiers to each caliper.

Thanks! :))

I did the original post that you are linked to.

Recap:- 

You need brake caliper piston wind back tool for both left and right handed thread. When the piston are wound back, make sure the cutouts in the piston are horizontal, so that the caliper can slide over the pins protruding from the back of the pads. If the piston cutouts are not lined up, that caliper will be hard to refit, and will cause uneven premature pad wear!
The biggest warning is be careful that the Bosch diagnostic tester does proper brake piston calibration, and not just a reset! I fell into to that trap with my Launch Creader diagnostic, and it wiped the zero point settings for the clutch and 'G' sensor. I lost the auto release function and a warning message showing check parking brake with caution signs. As I said in my linked post, I fixed the problem using Techstream. Other software and diagnostic equipment, plus the jumper pin in the OBD socket never worked.

You don't really need to use diagnostic equipment, and a few pull and presses of the EPB button should suffice, if you don't want a headache.

I have also changed rear brakes on a Renault Grand Scenic (also EPB), and a Corsa VXR. They are very similar in principal.    

23 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

I did the original post that you are linked to.

Recap:- 

You need brake caliper piston wind back tool for both left and right handed thread. When the piston are wound back, make sure the cutouts in the piston are horizontal, so that the caliper can slide over the pins protruding from the back of the pads. If the piston cutouts are not lined up, that caliper will be hard to refit, and will cause uneven premature pad wear!
The biggest warning is be careful that the Bosch diagnostic tester does proper brake piston calibration, and not just a reset! I fell into to that trap with my Launch Creader diagnostic, and it wiped the zero point settings for the clutch and 'G' sensor. I lost the auto release function and a warning message showing check parking brake with caution signs. As I said in my linked post, I fixed the problem using Techstream. Other software and diagnostic equipment, plus the jumper pin in the OBD socket never worked.

You don't really need to use diagnostic equipment, and a few pull and presses of the EPB button should suffice, if you don't want a headache.

I have also changed rear brakes on a Renault Grand Scenic (also EPB), and a Corsa VXR. They are very similar in principal.    

I saw your post. Thank you! 

I changed on volvo, ford, Volkswagen, Audis and some other cars, but they has the motor on the caliper itself. So my Bosch tester had the option for it. But I found the EPB under "repairs", so I'll check tomorrow if they have some calibration option. 

They really offer from the auto release EPB so I don't want to screw this up. I also have the piston rewind tool 🙂 thanks for the detailed info, I really appreciate it! 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links