Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis. Internal drivers unlocking handle problems.

estate

Had this problem when the car was under a year old, were the drivers internal door locking handle wouldn't (intermittently) unlock the the door. The dealership replaced a cable at the same time as they replaced the drivers window actuator as there was a grinding noise whilst closing window and it's been fine for about 12 months or so, now its back again and it's so intermittent that I'll probably leave it until it permanently fails or until my next service as I can still open the door by using the electrical door unlock button and this works every time. 

I have auto door lock enabled and I don't really want to disable it.

Anyone got any thoughts of what would be causing the cable (if it is the cable again) to keep failing?

Duplicate topics deleted. No point in posting the same topic more than once as, if one gets any responses, they may be split between the topics.

Thanks for deleting the duplicate post. I posted it on the wrong forum and tried doing it myself but couldn't figure it out. 

• 8 months later...

Drivers door lock mechanism replaced, now working fine again. The garage mechanic said that they replaced the same part last year, not just the cable, although this one has a different part number, so may be modified, so just report back if I have the same problem.

Spoke too soon about the door lock problem being fixed.....Just noticed that when you manually unlock the front door with the unlock handle, it doesn't unlock the rear doors, just like having the child locks activated, which isn't. To open the rear doors I have to press the unlock button to electrical open them. So another trip to the garage.

15 hours ago, estate said:

Spoke too soon about the door lock problem being fixed.....Just noticed that when you manually unlock the front door with the unlock handle, it doesn't unlock the rear doors, just like having the child locks activated, which isn't. To open the rear doors I have to press the unlock button to electrical open them. So another trip to the garage.

The auto lock has a few settings for my 2009 Avensis. It's detailed in the owners handbook, but not clearly worded. The most obvious is auto lock cancelled. The other is auto lock enabled. My handbook states 'All doors are unlocked when the drivers is opened within 10 seconds after turning the engine switch to the "LOCK" position.' The keyless version "ENGINE  START STOP" switch OFF. The manual seems to suggest this can changed! 

I wonder if there are more functions added on the later cars?

Hi Konrad it's different on my vehicle as its set or cancelled on the vehicle setup on the screen. Setup/ Vehicle/ Vehicle customisation/ Door lock settings/ Auto unlock by driver door is ticked on the screen.

Maybe the new drivers door lock that they fitted, as it was a different part number, is not compatible, don't know but I'll take it back to the Toyota garage for them to have a look, unless I'm missing something obvious.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links