Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008 2.2 D4D 135bhp real world MPG.

DickSnow

Just wondering if I have bought a pup or need to drive differently!

2008 2.2 D4D 135bhp XT-R, 88k miles, was hoping for 40+ mpg, regular drive is 40 miles commute at motorway speeds, cruising!

First tank 30.2 mpg! wasn't expecting that!

Dash display indicates 48 / 49, way off! Just filled up second time and will see what I get on this tank.

Is that what I have to expect? Any others with same spec out there can let me know their consumption as a comparison?

My old Freelander TD4, 120K miles, 2.0l BMW lump consistently gives 40+ mpg, was hoping the Rav4 would better that!

Hi, your MPG is normal, my 150bhp 2.2 2012 years Rav 4 less then 20. 000 miles and I struggle to get 30 mpg out of it.

Mike.

Book claims something like 40mpg in a combined cycle from memory, can’t recall many people claiming to have got that sort of economy out of one in the real world. Feel free to check any of the fuel logging sites though.

my computer shows 47-48 mpg, but on tank fill to fill i am getting 39-40 mpg on my 2007, 2.2D 136bhp x-tr, 80,000 miles.  no motorway driving in these figures.

looks like i am a lucky owner

18 minutes ago, catseye27 said:

my computer shows 47-48 mpg, but on tank fill to fill i am getting 39-40 mpg on my 2007, 2.2D 136bhp x-tr, 80,000 miles.  no motorway driving in these figures.

looks like i am a lucky owner

How many tens of thousands of miles is that averaged over or was it just random tanks?

I always reset my trip when refuelling and frequently check my mpg between fills from full to nearly empty.  I must add, i use premium fuel at least 90% of the time.  When i bought the car, 4 years old with 29,000 miles, i checked the EGR and found the valve sooted up/seized.  Cleaned the EGR and since then the EGR has remained clean. 

I have owned a 2.2 136bhp 2007 from new, but my EGR valve blanked off from new. computer shows 53 I do a very mixed journey I average 44 mpg, regularly check it, the dash computer useless to be honest, but check tyre pressures, and use the correct oil, and try blanking EGR valve your model is one of the easiest to blank and you won't get any warning lights etc. and no black smoke and no problem with MOT.... 

• Thanks 1

Hi Brian,

Could you possibly post a photo of where you blanked you EGR valve off as I wish to do the same.

I am very mechanically minded but just curious where you blanking plate is fitted?

Thank you, Mike.

• Like 1

That's the best I can do, the pipe you see comes off very easily, the location is straight in front of you when you open the bonnet, you can buy a plate or just make one the other end of the pipe is bendable so you can't miss it, some Rav 4's get a fault code, I have not done any and this has happened but if it does clear the code with a reader or disconnect the Battery for 5 mins good luck...

s-l500.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi Brian.

Thank you very much for your time and effort, it is very appreciated.

Mike.

Kits are available for about £4-6 from eBay in a suitable grade of steel, don’t make one out of something unsuitable like aluminium, it will burn through and that would be less than ideal.

****! What a mine of information! 😲

Such an easy job!

Engine cover off, EGR directly in front, 12mm socket and 6" extension, two nuts removed from pipe mount onto EGR, then two bolts removed from other end where pipe fixes to manifold, it's away!

Luckily gasket 'tween pipe and EGR still loose, removed, used as template onto some 2mm steel I had kicking about, bit of sawing, grinding and filing then two 10mm holes, sorted!

Bit of silicon sealant on new plate facing the pipe, new plate fitted on top of existing gasket, replace nuts / bolts removed, replace cover, sorted!

Thanks all for comments leading up to me having a go, hope this helps anyone undertaking the change, and I was lucky enough to have tools and steel in me man cave, the parts on eBay are sensible money if you can't have a go yourself!

20 minute job, let's see what it does to mpg now!

c.jpg

f.jpg

e.jpg

a.jpg

b.jpg

d.jpg

Tried to get pics in correct order, just wont have it when I upload / submit!

Richard.

Glad your sorted, it will run a lot better, I know other owners have made comments about doing this MOD but your soot/particles  emission's will be well down, I would rather have a slightly bit more NOX than particles. And when we have RAV4's carrying round loads of battery's/charging systems then what's a bit more NOX. 

When I did EGR blank off on my TD4 Freelander the difference was stunning, acceleration, running and MPG, occasional puff of white on start up but can live with that!

On the RAV no ECU alarm amazed me, really pleased, just about to go for a run and see.

The whole NOX / emissions etc gets me big time, like catalysts, we burn more fuel / less efficient for fewer emissions!

and saw this yesterday which really gets to me................

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4764208/Child-miners-aged-four-living-hell-Earth.html

Looks like we have still yet to find the answer!

How about Sunday shopping being outlawed? That would save resources, emissions, traffic and frustration!

Wonder if Boris or Mike Hunt (so hard to say! ) would add that to their manifesto!  😔

Just ordered one for the 4.2, i’m due to pull the EGR to clean it anyway, so it’ll be interesting to see if it’s diet of additives and premium fuel has agreed with it or if the minimal buildup is similar to last time... it’s been 4 years and 25k (doubt it had been cleaned in the previous 95k). I’m half tempted to get a cheap KESS kit with a view to editing out the EGR CEL, it shouldn’t be that difficult and even if I need to outsource prices range from £25-80 vs £400 for someone to do the job locally.

Pic from the last inspection in 2015:

dNVl9rW.jpg

18 hours ago, DickSnow said:

When I did EGR blank off on my TD4 Freelander the difference was stunning, acceleration, running and MPG, occasional puff of white on start up but can live with that!

On the RAV no ECU alarm amazed me, really pleased, just about to go for a run and see.

The whole NOX / emissions etc gets me big time, like catalysts, we burn more fuel / less efficient for fewer emissions!

and saw this yesterday which really gets to me................

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4764208/Child-miners-aged-four-living-hell-Earth.html

Looks like we have still yet to find the answer!

How about Sunday shopping being outlawed? That would save resources, emissions, traffic and frustration!

Wonder if Boris or Mike Hunt (so hard to say! ) would add that to their manifesto!  😔

Read the article, what concerns me is how efficient the batteries will be in 5 years time, and the cost to the environment to dispose of them, dragging round loads of weight and then using your fossil fuelled engine to charge them is not the answer, when Electric vehicles can go 300 miles in one charge and charged efficiently from the mains then maybe I might be interested but it's back to my old diesel.

Have you any feedback to the MPG or the running of your RAV now the EGR valve is blanked off.

Not sure if you were asking me or DickSnow, my kit arrived today from Poland, quality looks decent. It’ll be tomorrow before I fit it, i’ll report back once i’ve got a few miles on it.

42.3 mpg on second fuel up! 😁 Trouble is I was too impatient so Tuning Diesel Synergy 3 fitted as with EGR blanking plate. These mods are same as what I have done on my old Freelander TD4, that's returning 40 -43 mpg from 35. Really happy! Next time I fill up I'll switch off Synergy box and see what difference the EGR has made. Certainly better in initial take off.

Both of you, I was interested in your results.

Well stripped/cleaned the EGR on my 4.2, just a light dusting of soot like last time, no serious buildup and nothing like as bad as some of the examples i’ve seen on the Avensis sub forum. New plate and gasket fitted, feels slightly smoother/more eager to rev now, not a massive difference, but noticeable. CEL didn’t trigger on a short test drive, but I should get it tomorrow.

I have mpg data for the last few years, so even allowing for the warmer weather it should be easy to spot an overall trend in a few tanks time. Next job is the 4.3 - from the pics that looks even easier 😄

Well light came in as expected, easily cleared and car still pulls more smoothly. Longer term I will see about mapping the light out, but as it’s literally cosmetic only and doesn’t drop the car into limp mode.

@DickSnow just noticed you’ve fitted your blanking plate at the EGR valve end, surely it should be at the bulkhead end? Otherwise you’ll end up with a pipe full of soot over time.

Hi All, there seems to be some confusion which end of the pipe to blank off? Are the fumes/smoke etc coming from the engine going down to the valve or are the fumes/smoke etc coming out of the valve and going back up to the engine to be recirculated? Or last option is it worth blanking off both ends, for a tad over £3 from eBay for a high quality plate won't exactly break the bank, lol. Regards, Mike.