Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 yaris rough idle

Trooscotsman

On 5/10/2022 at 8:09 PM, stantheman1 said:

It sounds like the coil pack rubber boot is tracking to earth, is it dirty, damaged or discoloured in any way? Any pictures?

Did you manage to get any freeze frame data when it started to misfire?

ECU 89661-0D071.JPG

ECU connections.JPG

Sorry for delay, I have been lent an old car to get me out of trouble. I have a spare coil pack I can put on to check this. Please excuse this but I think it did not work as in it was not supported for this vehicle. But as I have memory issues from a bike accident I will try again later today.

On 5/10/2022 at 8:19 PM, flash22 said:

Compression is good, coil has been swapped still the same - were the injectors swapped positions ? a misfire code is just that, a generic code, you have continuity tested the wiring, but will it carry current

i will have to pull up some wiring diagram, is it a mk1 p10 or an early Mk2 P90 yaris

what engine is it ? 2szfe or the 1nrfe  ?

ps. these engines run like utter crap on anything other than Denso plugs

Hi just reading your earlier posts.

How do I know if it is an mk1 p10 or an early mk2 p90? Reg is FN05 LHV. I have attached a screen shot of the MOT checker page?

How do I know what engine it is?

Thanks again in advance for help and thoughts.

FN05 LHV.png

Just now, Terry RD400 said:

Sorry for delay, I have been lent an old car to get me out of trouble. I have a spare coil pack I can put on to check this. Please excuse this but I think it did not work as in it was not supported for this vehicle. But as I have memory issues from a bike accident I will try again later today.

Hi just reading your earlier posts.

How do I know if it is an mk1 p10 or an early mk2 p90? Reg is FN05 LHV. I have attached a screen shot of the MOT checker page?

How do I know what engine it is?

Thanks again in advance for help and thoughts.

FN05 LHV.png

Forgot to say. I have swapped the injector 4 over to 3. Also just put on second hand Denso Coil pack.

On 5/10/2022 at 4:08 PM, flash22 said:

LTFT is bordering on lean, STFT is borderline rich, idle is v. high for up to temp engine in closed loop, MAF looks good for the rpm

have a look at the misfire counters and post the o2 voltages when cold if you can

does the engine rev cleanly if you snap the throttle

1st job is disconnect the battery and let the ecu reset

Hi Bob, just about to connect the Battery again after you said let the ECU reset. I'm now going to plug in the OBD and try and find the "o2 voltages" that you speak of. All this with the engine NOT RUNNING. Just trying to do what you ask, also going to video from scratch so you can see menus that you might understand and I can then tell me what to do. Thanks again for your help.

Its a Mk1 p10 on an 05 plate

Engine running, to read the o2 voltages

It's either a wiring issue with the coil or injector or an ecu driver problem

The coil is a 4 wire ? 3 wires are commoned to the other coils, no.3 has 2 green wires ? a light and a dark one

Injector - 2 wires, no.3 is pink and brown ?

1 hour ago, Terry RD400 said:

Forgot to say. I have swapped the injector 4 over to 3. Also just put on second hand Denso Coil pack.

Hi Terry.  How has the car performed after the injector swop?  Did you manage to scan it again after a run?

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Its a Mk1 p10 on an 05 plate

Engine running, to read the o2 voltages

It's either a wiring issue with the coil or injector or an ecu driver problem

Ok, I cocked up. I done my videos etc but now realised I had not connected the MAF. I'm going back out to do the video right now in the mean time wire info below.  I'm also getting a message on the Launch Creader VIII saying "Maximum..." any clues as where to delete as getting this all the time. I have gone to every menu that gives the chance to Clear Data already.

The Coil Pack has 4 wires White/Black and Red/Black which are the common. Yellow with silver blocks and Green/Orange.

Also this could be something or nothing, when I swapped the injectors again this morning. I realised that the metal casting has holes in it alongside the inlet. Any thoughts. Be back in 30 minutes with some hopefully helpful video data.

If it is the ECU driver problem. How easy is it to program my keys to a second hand ECU. As eBay sells a lot of ECUs but with no keys or barrel. Speak in a bit.

Delete Don't Know How.JPG

Wires from Coil Pack 3.JPG

Inlet Casting.JPG

Last pic that doesn't happen to be cylinder 3 does it !!!, the alloy is flash what is part of the head casting process

20 minutes ago, Terry RD400 said:

Ok, I cocked up. I done my videos etc but now realised I had not connected the MAF. I'm going back out to do the video right now in the mean time wire info below.  I'm also getting a message on the Launch Creader VIII saying "Maximum..." any clues as where to delete as getting this all the time. I have gone to every menu that gives the chance to Clear Data already.

The Coil Pack has 4 wires White/Black and Red/Black which are the common. Yellow with silver blocks and Green/Orange.

Also this could be something or nothing, when I swapped the injectors again this morning. I realised that the metal casting has holes in it alongside the inlet. Any thoughts. Be back in 30 minutes with some hopefully helpful video data.

If it is the ECU driver problem. How easy is it to program my keys to a second hand ECU. As ebay sells a lot of ECUs but with no keys or barrel. Speak in a bit.

Delete Don't Know How.JPG

Wires from Coil Pack 3.JPG

Inlet Casting.JPG

These are the menus I have under Diagnostics. I don't know if these help. Videos to follow they take a while to upload.

Diagnostics 1.JPG

Diagnostics 2.JPG

I think you may have an intake leak if that is last pic is of number 3

1 minute ago, Terry RD400 said:

These are the menus I have under Diagnostics. I don't know if these help. Videos to follow they take a while to upload.

Diagnostics 1.JPG

Diagnostics 2.JPG

I don't think these will help. If you need me to look under a particular menu please say.

1 hour ago, corradovr6 said:

Hi Terry.  How has the car performed after the injector swop?  Did you manage to scan it again after a run?

Don't know have not taken it on a run. I think this is because I think its not the injector, but I will take it out tonight. If this is the normal problem it will kick in and drop cylinder 3 after 8 mins more often than not, lol. The lol was smile or get annoyed, you know what I mean.

Put the injectors back in, do you have some carb cleaner handy ?

30 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Last pic that doesn't happen to be cylinder 3 does it !!!, the alloy is flash what is part of the head casting process

Yes that is alongside No. 3

4 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Put the injectors back in, do you have some carb cleaner handy ?

No carb cleaner to hand, just some MAF cleaner 🙂

Just now, Terry RD400 said:

No carb cleaner to hand, just some MAF cleaner 🙂

Sorry that casting picture is from this morning when I swapped out Injector 4 and put it in 3. Call all running, no errors at moment and no carb cleaner.

Carb cleaner/maf cleaner same difference

don't think It's either the injector nor coil - alloy head and plastic intake, it's an intake leak on number 3 as soon as it heats up a gap opens up it pulling in unmetered air making it go lean and misfire

you could check the intake bolts are tight and/or replace the o ring style gasket

Victor Reinz 71-53109-00 or 71-53089-00

34 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Carb cleaner/maf cleaner same difference

don't think It's either the injector nor coil - alloy head and plastic intake, it's an intake leak on number 3 as soon as it heats up a gap opens up it pulling in unmetered air making it go lean and misfire

you could check the intake bolts are tight and/or replace the o ring style gasket

Victor Reinz 71-53109-00 or 71-53089-00

Do I spray it when it misfires down at No. 3?

Yes and no, you could try it at idle if it misfires its sucking in air/cleaner - do it at your own risk with a hot engine tho

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

I think you may have an intake leak if that is last pic is of number 3

Agreed

15 hours ago, flash22 said:

Yes and no, you could try it at idle if it misfires its sucking in air/cleaner - do it at your own risk with a hot engine tho

Still can't get my head round that this is the problem, but then again I am at the stage where I would ***** on a spark plug if I thought it would help. This gasket sealant that you suggest is this as well as new o-rings or as a replacement. Thanks again, beers on me WHEN I have success 🙂.

No sealant required, it's the intake gasket that sits between the head and intake manifold and goes in dry

well let's look at this logically, back to basics

coil swapped, injector swapped same issue

good even compression so that rules out piston, valve, bore and head issues

For an engine to run it needs fuel, air, spark and compression, so that leaves us with air - Any clues - High idle when up to temp if the engine is drawing in unmetered air it will go lean, the ecu will then add fuel then over compensate thinking it needs more air for that fuel - what raises the rpm

not enough fuel - misfire, too much fuel - misfire, ecu detects a knock aka detonation it will try to alter the timing to compensate

3 minutes ago, flash22 said:

No sealant required, it's the intake gasket that sits between the head and intake manifold and goes in dry

well let's look at this logically, back to basics

coil swapped, injector swapped same issue

good even compression so that rules out piston, valve, bore and head issues

For an engine to run it needs fuel, air, spark and compression, so that leaves us with air - Any clues - High idle when up to temp if the engine is drawing in unmetered air it will go lean, the ecu will then add fuel then over compensate thinking it needs more air for that fuel - what raises the rpm

not enough fuel - misfire, too much fuel - misfire, ecu detects a knock aka detonation it will try to alter the timing to compensate

Damn your good Bob 🙂  Thank you for the lesson. Part ordered, collect 9.30am tomorrow if the weather is good should be back together by 1pm. I will take it to work tomorrow night and let you know the outcome on Sunday morning. Thanks again.

There are 2 types of gasket but if you have done it by reg it's down to your supplier

Ah, night shifts and that 2am brick wall - i do not miss 12 hour night shifts

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

There are 2 types of gasket but if you have done it by reg it's down to your supplier

Ah, night shifts and that 2am brick wall - i do not miss 12 hour night shifts

Thanks again. No more nights anymore just evenings. But yep done 7 years, 7pm-7am, long nights. On the plus side you get to see more of the week i.e. 6 hours sleep, lol. When I used to get home at 8am Saturday morning you would just stay up to spend time with the kids then go to bed Saturday night, great memories. But wouldn't do it again or recommend it.

I have attached some pictures of the head and the inlet gasket. Nothing to write home about. They visually look fine.

Inlet 1.JPG

Inlet 2.JPG

MI pots 1 and 2.JPG

MI pots 3 and 4.JPG

MI.JPG