Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 yaris rough idle

Trooscotsman

Is the gasket crispy/hard - did you say you replaced the injector o-rings did you also do the insulator rubbers that go in the head, Toyota part no. 23291-23010 - they dont look good this acts as secondary injector seal iirc - they may come back if you dunk them in hot water with a tiny drop of washing up liquid

Is it me, or does that rubber ring ('O' ring) on the RH side of picture number four look a little misplaced? I guess that would make it cylinder three.

1 hour ago, bathtub tom said:

Is it me, or does that rubber ring ('O' ring) on the RH side of picture number four look a little misplaced? I guess that would make it cylinder three.

Pic 4 - left port is number 3, right number 4

1078924232_MIpots3and4.thumb.JPG.62175a3b9521b3131285841127016a6a.JPG

the lower inner edge of number 3 and just an old gasket, squished flat, the isolators in the head look a bit squished, heat cycle for 18 years and rubber isn't as flexible as once was

On 5/13/2022 at 3:18 PM, Terry RD400 said:

Thanks again. No more nights anymore just evenings. But yep done 7 years, 7pm-7am, long nights. On the plus side you get to see more of the week i.e. 6 hours sleep, lol. When I used to get home at 8am Saturday morning you would just stay up to spend time with the kids then go to bed Saturday night, great memories. But wouldn't do it again or recommend it.

I have attached some pictures of the head and the inlet gasket. Nothing to write home about. They visually look fine.

Inlet 1.JPG

Inlet 2.JPG

MI pots 1 and 2.JPG

MI pots 3 and 4.JPG

MI.JPG

All back together, done a 2 mile test drive and everything good, but tonight and tomorrow will be the real test. The worst thing is I could physically see nothing wrong with the gasket that was on there. I'm banking on you Sensei Bob 🙂

• Like 1

oh, don't do that, has the idle settled down at all ?

16 hours ago, flash22 said:

oh, don't do that, has the idle settled down at all ?

Yes it is definitely quieter by ear. What should the idle be? Do I need to do a video?

Drove last night for 2.6 miles (set counter, lol) and it was fine, went to pull away and it misfired for about 30 seconds, but not enough to cause the engine management light to come on. Then ran all evening fine.

Do you remember way back like 2-3 weeks back, I think. In desperation I fessed up to cutting the injector wires and moved them down the loom thinking it maybe a worn out wire getting hot and separating. Well although I done a good quick repair I have yet to solder them back in properly (Monday or Tuesday's job). Personally I don't think that was the problem last night as the wires were fixed well all but temporary. But the car did run well last night overall 98.5% success, tonight will be the real test, because I have not had two nights without problems since the problem began

On 5/13/2022 at 7:30 PM, flash22 said:

Pic 4 - left port is number 3, right number 4

1078924232_MIpots3and4.thumb.JPG.62175a3b9521b3131285841127016a6a.JPG

the lower inner edge of number 3 and just an old gasket, squished flat, the isolators in the head look a bit squished, heat cycle for 18 years and rubber isn't as flexible as once was

You are way above my pay grade for spotting the difference. The only one I thought that looked a little suspect was number 1 which we had no faults with. These pictures were also taken straight after removal and it came away clean (no sticking to head). I understand your logic with the age of the gasket.

On 5/13/2022 at 4:08 PM, flash22 said:

Is the gasket crispy/hard - did you say you replaced the injector o-rings did you also do the insulator rubbers that go in the head, Toyota part no. 23291-23010 - they dont look good this acts as secondary injector seal iirc - they may come back if you dunk them in hot water with a tiny drop of washing up liquid

The gasket was not crispy but definitely tougher as opposed to hard than the new one. I did replace both o-rings and injector insulator rubbers as new. Thank you for the tip of a tiny drop of washing up liquid and the hot water.

it should idle down to 750-900 rpm, disconnect the Battery and let the ecu reset again, it may want to relearn

• Like 1

Have you tried looking under the bonnet in the dark to see if you've any sparking going on?

17 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

Have you tried looking under the bonnet in the dark to see if you've any sparking going on?

tbh it will not do anything as its coil on plug

22 hours ago, flash22 said:

it should idle down to 750-900 rpm, disconnect the battery and let the ecu reset again, it may want to relearn

Good morning Bob, I think you cracked it (just before it cracked me :). I can't thank you enough, the beers are on me if your up for a pint or five 🙂

The car run 100% last night and did not miss a heart beat, I have not had 2 nights with no problems since this misfire started. It is definitely running sweeter even though I have not plugged back in yet. Even the little average mpg screen has been going up steadily normally I get 42.5mpg on a mixed drive, I'm already up to 43mpg and I think it will climb so more.

The brief misfire I had after installing the new gasket I think could have been wiring. It's my niece's birthday today so no car repairs today. Tomorrow will solder injector wires back correctly and replace under bonnet cowling.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, flash22 said:

it should idle down to 750-900 rpm, disconnect the battery and let the ecu reset again, it may want to relearn

I will disconnect the Battery now and check rpm when it reaches temperature tomorrow after soldering of course.

• Like 1

That's great news Terry, and well done for sticking with it! A great learning experience too I'm sure but also sure you're glad to see the back of this one

• Like 1

Glad you got it sorted, at least you didn't resort to firing the parts cannon at it

sorry, i don't drink, it will have to go into the cake fund instead

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, corradovr6 said:

That's great news Terry, and well done for sticking with it! A great learning experience too I'm sure but also sure you're glad to see the back of this one

Hi Hasan, I think you really summed it up, STICKING WITH IT and GREAT LEARNING EXPERIENCE.

I thought I was pretty good at fault finding on cars, now I realise that I am QUITE good which is humbling and have to say this knocked my confidence, but with Bob helps (flash22) and your morale boost we got there but total kudos to Bob he got the car and I to the finish line. Really appreciate your input and everyone else on the site.

I do need a lesson in how to use Forums, I know I am speaking to you guys but that is because I was searching the internet for anything and anyone that could help solve my problem. This is the first forum I have ever used and I want to give back. How do you dip into the Forum and help others? How do I follow the likes of You, Flash22, BathTub Tom, etc.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Glad you got it sorted, at least you didn't resort to firing the parts cannon at it

sorry, i don't drink, it will have to go into the cake fund instead

Ha, ha, the cake fund, sounds awesome. How do I donate?

If we meet face to face one day, I will tell you about a dream, a bit like Martin Luther King but mine involved 300 doughnuts from Tesco.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Terry RD400 said:

Ha, ha, the cake fund, sounds awesome. How do I donate?

If we meet face to face one day, I will tell you about a dream, a bit like Martin Luther King but mine involved 300 doughnuts from Tesco.

Ha, ha, glad you got it sorted! I did enquire as to where Bob (flash22) was as this was just 'right up his street', in my second post to you. If he can't sort it then nobody can! Well done Bob!

21 hours ago, stantheman1 said:

Ha, ha, glad you got it sorted! I did enquire as to where Bob (flash22) was as this was just 'right up his street', in my second post to you. If he can't sort it then nobody can! Well done Bob!

So true, but how do I get the Toyota Yaris full of cakes to him 🙂 I have gotta say thanks 🙂

• Haha 1

I think he'll be more than happy with just a simple 'like' or 'thanks' by clicking the button at the bottom of his reply box. 🙂 

• Like 2

On 5/17/2022 at 5:53 PM, stantheman1 said:

I think he'll be more than happy with just a simple 'like' or 'thanks' by clicking the button at the bottom of his reply box. 🙂 

I didn't know how to do that until now, thanks Steven. Car still running like a dream and average mpg up from 42.5 to 44 🙂

• Like 2

i was wondering how it was going, I was going to post over the weekend

• Like 1

18 hours ago, flash22 said:

i was wondering how it was going, I was going to post over the weekend

Hi Bob, its been running perfect, I can't thank you enough. Let me buy you the damn cake, lol 🙂 It would be good to meet the man behind the name.

I have a question which may upset you 🙂  Do you trouble shoot other car problem or 100% Toyota. The reason I am asking is both my cars broke (so to speak) at the same time, but the other one starts with an "F" Funny Old Rubber Duck. Just asking no offence intended to anyone within this fine Forum.

• Haha 1

Well, at least they circled the problem - a car is a car, mainly GM, Nissan and Toyota (not in that order) but anything really i have played with all sorts from little 2 smokes to a v12

you can always drop me a PM (hover over my username on the left a box will pop up and click message)

• Like 1