Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Map update

Cbatoday

On the my toyota section there is a download for 2019 v1 map updates

My corolla has arrived in the last week. Will it need this update, is there a way to check what version my current map is

Press "setup" button

Scroll down to "software update" and select

• 4 weeks later...

I got my car on the 20th and the update was required.

Ive just literally finished doing it and it took an hour!!

11.2GB. Looks like it'll take about 25 minutes for me. Maximum for my connection give or take Netflix also in use.

Bit of a tortuous process going through their website though. In a better implemented world the car would just detect that updates were available then download them itself over wifi. Having to go to an eStore, then 'purchase' the update, then enter my billing details to calculate tax (zero 'cos there's no cost to the update) is pretty silly.

Just now, AndrueC said:

11.2GB. Looks like it'll take about 25 minutes for me. Maximum for my connection give or take Netflix also in use.

The download time was trivial, then 10mins to copy to USB, the actual installation (in the car) took an hour though.

1 minute ago, bewA said:

The download time was trivial, then 10mins to copy to USB, the actual installation (in the car) took an hour though.

The car took that long to copy and install? Good grief!

On 6/30/2019 at 4:29 PM, Devon Aygo said:

Press "setup" button

Scroll down to "software update" and select

That didn't do anything for me other than tell me which versions everything was at. The main web site directed me to go to the .eu site which listed the map update as an active purchase. What a pallaver.

• Like 1

I'll admit there are a few steps...

• register satnav
  • "purchase" map update
  • make note of activation key
  • download zip
  • extract zip
  • copy FMU folder to the USB (requires 11.2GB)
  • start car
  • put in usb
  • nav system will verify the update
  • acknowledge the update
  • put in the activation key
  • wait an hour
  • at the end take out usb when directed
  • the nav system will reboot

I'm not sure if it's supposed to work on wifi but it would be good if there were notifications in the car if there was a new map update available and either it's done via wifi or via USB 🙂

• Like 1

Here's a couple of pics of the process (apologies for the size, tapatalk doesn't seem to believe in reducing the size) 😄

1dc74fe81e54ef2330c5c4879eb4b356.jpge18cfb5f737b2ef3bcd1d65357693886.jpg

Edited by bewA
formatting

Nope failure. I put the USB in and after a while an error message appeared saying that it couldn't authenticate. What an utterly pointless waste of time.

Ah ha! Tried it again and this time it says it's validating the input files. I'm not going to sit in the car for an hour though so I've left it doing that in accessory mode. I'll pop in and check on it occasionally.

42 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

... I've left it doing that in accessory mode. I'll pop in and check on it occasionally.

argghh - don't do that (but probably too late when you see this).

After 20 mins a message pops up saying it's saving the Battery and it unceremoniously shuts down - I've never seen a way of preventing that even while sitting in the car - if anyone knows different, please say what the secret is!

At best you'll have to start again - on earlier cars, I've heard of people whose infotainment hasn't worked again until their dealer spent best part of a day fixing it.  🥺

• Thanks 1

Yeah. After a while it showed a message showing that the engine needed to be running. I went for a drive.

I have to say that I'm really impressed. After over 30 years as a software developer I have to admit that I don't think I've ever come across a company that has made it so painful, irritating and annoying to update their software. It truly is an awesomely bad experience and Toyota should be proud of their achievement.

Oh and the update seems to have broken automatic zoom. When I arrived back home all it would show me was a bird's eye view of the town. Thoroughly well done, Toyota.

NB: This post might contain some elements of sarcasm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Remember that you can manage which maps get installed so that if you e.g. don't take the car out of the UK you don't need to install the rest - this will speed it up considerably.

Toyota don't develop their infotainment hardware/software - it's done by their oem who in this case is Harman (now owned by Samsung).

Yea I'm also impressed 😂

I'm slightly confused by the zoom settings (regardless of whether the map update broke it). I would like 3d with auto zoom as you approach the next action point but that seems hit or miss 😂. Then home screen does something completely different!!

Just now, Heidfirst said:

Remember that you can manage which maps get installed so that if you e.g. don't take the car out of the UK you don't need to install the rest - this will speed it up considerably.

I actually didn't get that option.

don't know if MM17 is different but it is possibly a setting that you need to initiate in MyToyota first.

Just now, Heidfirst said:

don't know if MM17 is different but it is possibly a setting that you need to initiate in MyToyota first.

I'll look again but it's not something I've seen, and I've been ocd'ing over the manuals for weeks and must have pressed all the buttons! 

it's certainly available on the previous generation of Touch 2 with Go & would seem odd to remove it for MM17 (it was originally brought in by customer request...).

1 minute ago, Heidfirst said:

it's certainly available on the previous generation of Touch 2 with Go & would seem odd to remove it for MM17 (it was originally brought in by customer request...).

I think I'd rather all was updated regardless if I need it, otherwise I've got to go back and update the map for the location I'm going to.

I did look at the extracted files on the usb and they do seem to be split into regions, not that the file names yield any clues.

11 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

Toyota don't develop their infotainment hardware/software - it's done by their oem who in this case is Harman (now owned by Samsung).

Ah! I suspected that was probably the case but in the absence of specific information I assumed it was Toyota. Hmmm. I don't know Harman but Samsung know how to develop and release software. Meh. I'll have to play with the zoom at some point. I noticed they've fixed the default view (so you can leave the map in 3D now) but maybe automatic zoom is based off a default zoom and the default zoom got reset.

I hope that's the case because navigating streets is exactly when you want maximum zoom, not just at junctions.

3 minutes ago, bewA said:

I did look at the extracted files on the usb and they do seem to be split into regions, not that the file names yield any clues.

Yeah, it's 4 .iso images so it should be possible to mount them and look at the files inside. Frankly I lack the energy 🙂

if you know the countries/regions that you are likely to visit though then you can just do those e.g. in my case I just do UK & Ireland as if I am going further I just fly & hire a car.

As the updates are nominally 6 monthly as long as you have an idea 6 months ahead e.g. holidays of where you are likely to be visiting you should be good.

8 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Yeah, it's 4 .iso images so it should be possible to mount them and look at the files inside. Frankly I lack the energy 🙂

Exactly it's done now and I don't really want to brick the car 😂 #firstworldproblems

Did mine tonight, took 61 mins to complete.  At least the 3D view setting is now fixed!

8 hours ago, Sidrat said:

Did mine tonight, took 61 mins to complete.  At least the 3D view setting is now fixed!

I've gone back to 2D as the zooming seems to be borked on 3D. I'm not convinced it's working properly for 2D either but as I'm only commuting I haven't looked it much so can't be sure (I prefer to drive with the Audio screen showing when not navigating).