Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Map update

Cbatoday

8 hours ago, AndrueC said:

I've gone back to 2D as the zooming seems to be borked on 3D. I'm not convinced it's working properly for 2D either but as I'm only commuting I haven't looked it much so can't be sure (I prefer to drive with the Audio screen showing when not navigating).

Spoke too soon about the 3D view setting, checked it on the way to work this morning, defaulted back to 2D view.  Tonight checked again and now back to 3D view, system seems to make it up as it wants!

Yea it is weird how sometimes it saves the setting and sometimes it doesn't.  One thing I do know if you have the home screen with the map on , it just top down

I’ve been trying to update my satnav. What a rewarding experience. 🙄First the download from the estore to my MacBook timed out. So I started again, finally finished this morning, I unzipped the file. This took another hour. Plugged the usb into the car, and.......nothing. So I am trying another usb, which I have emptied and reformatted, so I know it’s empty. Copied the files to this one, another hour of my life I’ll not see again. Plugged it into the car, usb light flickered and.........nothing. I give up. I’ll stick to using my TomTom from now on, at least that is simple to update. Why oh why can’t the car connect to my home WiFi and do this update that way I’ll never know. I’m just glad I don’t have to pay for the update.

1 hour ago, Jonmartin said:

I’ve been trying to update my satnav. What a rewarding experience. 🙄First the download from the estore to my MacBook timed out. So I started again, finally finished this morning, I unzipped the file. This took another hour. Plugged the usb into the car, and.......nothing. So I am trying another usb, which I have emptied and reformatted, so I know it’s empty. Copied the files to this one, another hour of my life I’ll not see again. Plugged it into the car, usb light flickered and.........nothing. I give up. I’ll stick to using my TomTom from now on, at least that is simple to update. Why oh why can’t the car connect to my home WiFi and do this update that way I’ll never know. I’m just glad I don’t have to pay for the update.

Make sure you are on the navigation screen, not just the home screen. I eventually worked out that's what I did wrong as I foolishly went to general settings and selected software update. Also, the USB must be formatted as FAT 32. And then you will need to run the engine for an hour while the update runs. Oh and during that time the onboard clock will be frozen.

19 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Make sure you are on the navigation screen, not just the home screen. I eventually worked out that's what I did wrong as I foolishly went to general settings and selected software update. Also, the USB must be formatted as FAT 32. And then you will need to run the engine for an hour while the update runs. Oh and during that time the onboard clock will be frozen.

I have tried that, still no response. I know when I’m beaten, life’s too short to spend anymore time on this. Thanks for your help, 

On 7/30/2019 at 5:02 PM, Sidrat said:

Spoke too soon about the 3D view setting, checked it on the way to work this morning, defaulted back to 2D view.  Tonight checked again and now back to 3D view, system seems to make it up as it wants!

Since this post I have been checking each time I use the car and now seems to have settled down to the 3D view each time I select the Navigation system, maybe the 2D glitch post update was a one-off!

9 hours ago, Jonmartin said:

it's all your fault for being a Mac user 😛 

(Seriously, it's a lot easier on Windows than Mac)

6 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

I am coming to that conclusion. Time to start up the old old old laptop, do all the windows updates, and start the download again.

17 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

You were right, I fired up the old windows laptop. 5 updates and two hours later, I was able to download the map update, unzip and copy onto a usb stick. Stuck it in the car and IT WORKED. Can’t understand why the computer should make a difference, but computers work in mysterious ways. 

I have read right through this thread but cannot quite understand whether this update is required on my brand new Corolla Design HSD. The navdb version displayed in the Software Update screen is A36.4 and not in the 201XvX format. My Toyota is offering the 2019v1 update but I don't want to break it! Does anyone know what version A36.4 is please?

1 hour ago, eyemdee said:

I have read right through this thread but cannot quite understand whether this update is required on my brand new Corolla Design HSD. The navdb version displayed in the Software Update screen is A36.4 and not in the 201XvX format. My Toyota is offering the 2019v1 update but I don't want to break it! Does anyone know what version A36.4 is please?

On mine which is post-update under Setup, General, Software update, it lists the version against - navdb_version as 2019v1.  I would have thought that the system would not install an item that was not required (assuming Toyotas software engineers got it right of course).

3 hours ago, eyemdee said:

2017v1

2017v2

2018v1

A36

2018v2

The numbers on the left are factory map versions, on the right are the customer versions it allows a level of traceability  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

2017v1

2017v2

2018v1

A36

2018v2

The numbers on the left are factory map versions, on the right are the customer versions it allows a level of traceability  

Thanks Lee, that is exactly what I wanted to know. I have ordered a 16GB USB memory stick for the upgrade as all mine are too small. (Shows my age!)

On 7/27/2019 at 1:57 PM, bewA said:

The download time was trivial, then 10mins to copy to USB, the actual installation (in the car) took an hour though.

I wish mine was. After getting a "There is an error, please try later" message on the website I eventually managed to "purchase" and download the update at around 4Mbps so it took the best part of an hour to download on my 100Mbps Virgin fibre connecion. The extract to USB took around 1 hr 50 minutes (11.2Gb) to a new formatted16Gb Kingston Data Traveller 3 USB flash drive so who knows how long it will take to update the car!!

8 hours ago, eyemdee said:

I wish mine was. After getting a "There is an error, please try later" message on the website I eventually managed to "purchase" and download the update at around 4Mbps so it took the best part of an hour to download on my 100Mbps Virgin fibre connecion. The extract to USB took around 1 hr 50 minutes (11.2Gb) to a new formatted16Gb Kingston Data Traveller 3 USB flash drive so who knows how long it will take to update the car!!

Ian, if you do this in the future, extract the file to a folder on your PC or MAC then copy it to the USB!  Extracting a large file like this on a USB will take a long time as compared to the hard drive on your computer they are really slooooooow.

2 hours ago, Sidrat said:

Ian, if you do this in the future, extract the file to a folder on your PC or MAC then copy it to the USB!  Extracting a large file like this on a USB will take a long time as compared to the hard drive on your computer they are really slooooooow.

Thank you - I suppose I should have thought of that really but I am sure I followed Toyota's instructions! Good job I wasn't in a hurry.

EDIT: Yes, just checked the instructions:- Step 3: "Extract this content of the downloaded ZIP file to the main folder root of your USB stick and safely remove the USB stick from your PC when the extraction is complete"

Map update to 2019v1 completed in 63 minutes. Just out of interest, while sitting in the car watching it I found a Pre Delivery Inspection Checksheet in the glove compartment. One of the items reads "Check for latest map version and update if necessary". It wasn't ticked, neither was anything else on the sheet so you have to wonder whether anything else was missed during the PDI...

2 hours ago, eyemdee said:

Map update to 2019v1 completed in 63 minutes. Just out of interest, while sitting in the car watching it I found a Pre Delivery Inspection Checksheet in the glove compartment. One of the items reads "Check for latest map version and update if necessary". It wasn't ticked, neither was anything else on the sheet so you have to wonder whether anything else was missed during the PDI...

My dealer managed to miss some of the protective films over the chrome. Probably the usual story, lack of care and attention.

• 4 weeks later...

My map db was A36_4 (registered sept 2019). Didn't know if this was current so updated it and it's now saying 2019_v1.

I'm still looking for a solution to mount my phone so I can continue to use Waze though.

I'm having issues just trying to download the thing. I "believe" i've registered my sat nav (setup a MyT account, entered the device ID, setup the account with the online section and tested by sending the settings to the account). All this works however when I go to download the map update it asks me to enter the request code which it refuses. The 'in-car' option shows menus that are not available in the car menu system so I'm really stuck. I'm hoping I just have to wait for the FUD to register itself as the car only have ~80miles on it

tbh, I wouldn't trouble yourself too much. It's a 1+ hour update for no real gain....If any...

11 hours ago, eskemoiain said:

I "believe" i've registered my sat nav (setup a MyT account, entered the device ID, setup the account with the online section and tested by sending the settings to the account). All this works however when I go to download the map update it asks me to enter the request code which it refuses. The 'in-car' option shows menus that are not available in the car menu system so I'm really stuck.

Are you trying to do this from the car? I don't believe that MM17 supports OTA (supposedly MM19 will)? You shouldn't need a request code just to download the map update from Toyota to a PC (you will need an activation code to install it though).

10 hours ago, chicken_george said:

tbh, I wouldn't trouble yourself too much. It's a 1+ hour update for no real gain....If any...

If you don't need to install the maps for all of Europe restrict it to only what you need & it will take less time to install ...

Having said that the next update is probably due in October.

Oh the positivity is too much [emoji23]

• 4 months later...

I can't register my sat nav on the my toyota site because I can't find the device id anywhere for my sat nav. It's not shown in the system info.Been through the whole menu and it's not showing the device id. I know how to do map updates as I had an Auris previously, but I need to register this new Corolla  satnav first. Any advice please.