Sign in to follow this  
FROSTYBALLS

Acoustic Vehicle Alert Systems (AVAS) legislation in effect from 1st July 2019

From 1st July 2019 electric and hybrid vehicles with four wheels and new Type Approvals will be required to have an acoustic vehicle alert system (AVAS) fitted.

All new electric and hybrid vehicles built from 1st July 2021 will be required to have AVAS fitted

The system will need to produce external sound via a sound generator ranging between 56 and 75 dcb when running on electric power at speeds up to 20kph, and will need to show whether the vehicle is accelerating or decelerating. 

There is no requirement for the sound to be heard inside the vehicle.

The new Corolla and Rav 4 hybrid Type Approvals will pre-date this legislation, so will only legally require AVAS from 1st July 2021.

I would have thought the most important thing is to have a "universal" approved sound for everyone's benefit, not just visually impaired, not to mention hard of hearing folk.

But no doubt there'll soon be umpteen different ones in the aftermarket - but legislation could easily be used to tackle this (as per horns).

Will we have to retro fit an AVAS, will it become part of an MOT ?

It's probably a good idea, people in car parks tend to not be aware of their surroundings, and I've made many jump when they have realised I'm behind them. Sounding the horn seems a bit much, and who knows what harm it could do to an elderly person with a dicky ticker. I have found that loud music and the windows down helps.

I considered fitting a cycle bell, but I have no handle bars.

5 minutes ago, Jonmartin said:

Will we have to retro fit an AVAS

No - retro fitting isn't required. Still three years away from when the first cars with AVAS will be due an MOT, and if included within the MOT at a later date, presumably it will only be for those vehicles that were required to have AVAS as a standard fitment.

33 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

No - retro fitting isn't required. Still three years away from when the first cars with AVAS will be due an MOT, and if included within the MOT at a later date, presumably it will only be for those vehicles that were required to have AVAS as a standard fitment.

That’s good, but I expect there will be many aftermarket units coming onto the market. And I do think they are not a bad idea.