Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gearbox

Patrick1234

I had put in a new clutch kit and have changed the gear box oil in my Toyota auris 2l d4d 6 speed and she is sticky (when forced but it's ok when u don't force it) from 1st to 2nd gear when cold... when warm it is ok.. what would this be and could this turn into a big problem in the future?? Thanks 

What oil was used?

75w 85 coma oil fully synthetic I think I threw the bottle out 

Did you have the problem before you changed the clutch?

I had a problem going into reverse when cold but that was beecause of the pressure plate.. it goes into reverse easy when cold.. just sticky when cold in 1st and 2nd

I am suspicious of the new oil, although I think the one you put in is the correct type, but it is not a Toyota brand. It maybe different viscosity for a comma brand.

I had the same problem when I had the cluch replaced on my Yaris 6 speed gear box. I suspected the garage  used a thicker oil. It was lots of friction to get the gear from 1st to 2nd when cold. But after about a few miles of driving it's then very easy to engage.

I replaced the oil with Toyota brand and then everything was fine as it should be.

I think it's worth trying using Toyota 75w-85, I know it's going to cost you another £50 but worth a try.

7 minutes ago, Perfection said:

I am suspicious of the new oil, although I think the one you put in is the correct type, but it is not a Toyota brand. It maybe different viscosity for a comma brand.

I had the same problem when I had the cluch replaced on my Yaris 6 speed gear box. I suspected the garage  used a thicker oil. It was lots of friction to get the gear from 1st to 2nd when cold. But after about a few miles of driving it's then very easy to engage.

I replaced the oil with Toyota brand and then everything was fine as it should be.

I think it's worth trying using Toyota 75w-85, I know it's going to cost you another £50 but worth a try.

Ok I'll research the difference in the two oils and I'll maybe change it if I think its worth it thanks for the advice.. much appreciated 👍👍👍

Had problems going into 1st while still, on cold, maybe 3 out of 10 times on my old mazda 3.

Replaced oil once using some recommended oil, i think it was Shell.  Was actually worse, it would not go into gear maybe 7 out of 10 times.

Replaced the oil again, had the shop mechanic get it, and they charged me much more, but hey, at least it will be fixed.

When moving, it was great, stop at a light or something, car wont go into gear any gear (wont grind) but it was hard, and felt like there's a lot of sand if you push it.

Couple of times i had to shut down the car just to get it into 1st.

To me it constantly felt like the clutch is dragging a bit, but the oil was replaced, no clutch work done, anyway i dont have the car anymore.

My advice, either get OEM oil, or do plenty of research, not worth the headache.

It’s a good idea to check for air locked in the clutch hydraulics very common error by mechanics when changing the clutch or any work on gearbox when hydraulics needs to be dismantled than after new break fluid is filled in it’s a tricky to get the air out and causing a similar to your problems, if the gear oil is the same type and viscosity no need to be exactly Toyota own brand except in automatic transmission where specific friction modifiers are used for torque converters and wet clutches. I personally use Toyota ws oil for my hybrid gears but it’s easy available and on a good price too. In manual transmission my favourite oil was Castrol syntrans  Multi vehicle, but that for completely different car. 

Regards 

On 6/30/2019 at 6:08 PM, Patrick1234 said:

75w 85 coma oil fully synthetic I think I threw the bottle out 

a 75w85 will be too thick when warm/hot Toyota specify a mono grade LV 75 Gear oil

Capture.PNG

That's the right gear oil tho

5 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

a 75w85 will be too thick when warm/hot Toyota specify a mono grade LV 75 Gear oil

Capture.PNG

That's the correct gear oil according to the hand book 

Sorry all I have used 75w 90 comma oil semi synthetic

Not sure why Toyota Ireland would specify anything different, Toyota have used a mono grade 75w since around 2005/2006 and the attachment was snipped from Toyota's service data sheet 5 minutes ago.

1 minute ago, Devon Aygo said:

Not sure why Toyota Ireland would specify anything different, Toyota have used a mono grade 75w since around 2005/2006 and the attachment was snipped from Toyota's service data sheet 5 minutes ago.

I have used 75w 90 grade oil.. If found the bottle.. sorry about that I was guessing what I used 

Now knowing  the oil is too that thick, I assume you will be getting it replaced with the correct oil. You got a choice of Toyota or the comma 75w-80?

I think it's best to go for a fully synthetic.

Please report back for the results. 

I have done a bit of research and I found that poeople had problems engaging low gears (or first, second and third) with 75w90 gear oil.. the same people have changed their oil to 75w80 ( witha a range of different cars including Toyotas) oil and they said that it has made a difference, so I'm going to change the oil and see if this resolves the issue.. 

On 7/1/2019 at 7:24 PM, Devon Aygo said:

On 6/30/2019 at 10:44 PM, Perfection said:

I'm going to try the Toyota own brand.. what do yous think?? Lv75w??

Screenshot_20190703-105122.png

Yes I would go for that and try it better than the comma. 

So on my phone 2011 Auris I was due for gearbox oil change since the gears started to be sticky especially when cold and from price point of view.

The Toyota Gearbox oil was cheaper as I got 5L @R536 where as Castrol same spec oil as Toyota it would have cost me 3L @570.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

On 7/3/2019 at 7:42 PM, Perfection said:

Yes I would go for that and try it better than the comma. 

On 7/1/2019 at 9:52 AM, furtula said:

Had problems going into 1st while still, on cold, maybe 3 out of 10 times on my old mazda 3.

Replaced oil once using some recommended oil, i think it was shell.  Was actually worse, it would not go into gear maybe 7 out of 10 times.

Replaced the oil again, had the shop mechanic get it, and they charged me much more, but hey, at least it will be fixed.

When moving, it was great, stop at a light or something, car wont go into gear any gear (wont grind) but it was hard, and felt like there's a lot of sand if you push it.

Couple of times i had to shut down the car just to get it into 1st.

To me it constantly felt like the clutch is dragging a bit, but the oil was replaced, no clutch work done, anyway i dont have the car anymore.

My advice, either get OEM oil, or do plenty of research, not worth the headache.

On 7/1/2019 at 7:24 PM, Devon Aygo said:

If the oil doesn't help the matter what would else could cause this problem??

Had you tried the new oil? 

On my Verso 6 speed gearbox, when I replaced oil last year with Toyota LV-75w. I noticed a slight resistance when I engaged the gear from 1st to 2nd at cold. But not an issue really. But I decided to try the more lower viscosity oil, RedLine MT-LV70/75w. This totally cured the slight resistance.

When I looked at the viscosity value for the RedLine, it has a very low cst rated at 40degc and 100degc. However i can't find the details for Toyota make so can't really compare it. But the Redline oil must be thinner than the Toyota oil as it has cured my slight issue.

As I still got some both oil left and as a matter of interest, I might do a drip test and see the results and will report back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Perfection said:

Had you tried the new oil? 

On my Verso 6 speed gearbox, when I replaced oil last year with Toyota LV-75w. I noticed a slight resistance when I engaged the gear from 1st to 2nd at cold. But not an issue really. But I decided to try the more lower viscosity oil, RedLine MT-LV70/75w. This totally cured the slight resistance.

When I looked at the viscosity value for the RedLine, it has a very low cst rated at 40degc and 100degc. However i can't find the details for Toyota make so can't really compare it. But the Redline oil must be thinner than the Toyota oil as it has cured my slight issue.

As I still got some both oil left and as a matter of interest, I might do a drip test and see the results and will report back.

I'm still waiting on the oil to come.. so if the oil change dosnt help the issue could there be a mechanical problem ie synchromesh wear?? See my logic is that as the gears warm they will slightly expand (a value of like 0.001mm).. don't no if that is correct.. just an example.. this means that the gears should be harder to engage.. that's were the oil comes in.. now if there is tick oil that is warm it will be slightly thinner compared when cold thus easier to engage as the oil is getting in between the gears.. is this logic right?? I'm just weighing my options here for I don't want problems down the line ie gearbox failure due to synchromesh wear!!? 

Don't worry too much. I just read your problem description again. Your problem is wrong oil. It is the same as on my Yaris  problem. When you put in the new correct oil, it will be cured.

1 minute ago, Perfection said:

Don't worry too much. I just read your problem description again. Your problem is wrong oil. It is the same as on my Yaris  problem. When you put in the new correct oil, it will be cured.

Lol thanks.. I am a worrier so I am and I spent alot of money on this car so far and I don't want to do it anymore.. two people told me that Toyota auris have a fault in gearbox that's what is worrying.. I love the car.. suits me to the ground but this gear issue is annoying me.. and I'm reminded off it nearly Everytime I drive her.. 

My Diesel Yaris 6 speed gear box was the best gear box. When I sold the car, it covered more than 125k miles. The gearbox is like new (with the correct oil!).

There was nothing around with the car when I sold it, just wanted a change. The car was sold to a friend and it is now 146k miles. 

So I expect your Auris should give you similar reliability and durability to the Yaris.