Do Not Sell My Personal Information

True mpg 1.8 Corolla hybrid 16 inch wheels

Cbatoday

To be honest the main reason I wanted a hybrid was curiosity about the impact it would have. I've always assumed the hybrid tech was about reclaiming lost energy and with me losing relatively little I couldn't quite see how it would help. However more recently I've learnt that it's also about giving the ICE the freedom to run as best suits it as well as supporting an 'under powered but efficient' engine and of course some energy is being reclaimed from downhill coasting.

One thing I'm still not sure about though is whether encouraging electric running is a good thing for me. I would imagine that most of my electric power is coming directly from the ICE. The engine seems to spend most of its time on my commute running at higher RPMs than it can implying that it's nearly always doing two things (motion and charge). It doesn't sound sensible to burn fuel in order to charge the Battery in order to use the Battery later on to reduce fuel consumption. The losses involved in that process seem like it would be better to just have the ICE doing less work and leaving the Battery to recharge as best it can from regen.

On this tank I was going to try and just drive the car and leave the HSD to decide for itself which will reduce the amount of electric running I do. Unfortunately learning how to maximise electric running is fun and that plan went out of the window. Maybe I'll do that with the next tank but that will be end of month into August and for a decent comparison the weather needs to be similar.

39 minutes ago, NathK said:

Hi all, I took delivery of my 2.0L excel last Friday and travelled from the Wirral to Bath and then onto Pembrokeshire with 55 MPG. Its not on par with the MPG that some of you are having with your 1.8 but for a 2.0 its very impressive. 

Is that 55 mpg measured or displayed? Most of the time my Corolla seems to over state mpg by 5% but on long journeys it seems to overstate by as much as 30%

I can only imagine the extra power you can get. I sometimes teach a tailgater a lesson come out of a 30 zone by waking the ICE back up before accelerating hard and there's a lot of power just on the 1.8. The 2.0 must be pretty damn' decent. But I was more interested in economy than power so am happy with what I have 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bewA said:

Either way i'm quite surprised how much the difference EV mode actually makes from what is being said here given the range on pure EV mode is between 1-2 miles? although i appreciate it doesn't quite work like that.

I NEVER use pure EV mode, ever. With this new Corolla, coasting using the kind of pulse and glide technique, the car can be in EV still doing 60 MPH plus, especially if you on on even the slightest downhill. I am very impressed, it is a vast improvement on the last half a dozen or so Auris Hybrids I have had. By the time I got to work today I am still on 70.5 MPG and that includes a dual carriageway burst of 12 miles at 70 herr hum, ish MPH 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

I NEVER use pure EV mode, ever. With this new Corolla, coasting using the kind of pulse and glide technique, the car can be in EV still doing 60 MPH plus, especially if you on on even the slightest downhill. I am very impressed, it is a vast improvement on the last half a dozen or so Auris Hybrids I have had. By the time I got to work today I am still on 70.5 MPG and that includes a dual carriageway burst of 12 miles at 70 herr hum, ish MPH 

yea i probably have a combined (home/work & back) dual carriageway stint of which takes me about 10mins at 70mph 🙂

I've noticed on mine they the mpg is mid 50 mpg first thing in the morning upto about 5 or 6 miles but this steadily creeps upward during the day as the engine stays hot.

I think if I was using it for 6 or 7 miles to work it would stick in the mid 65mpg range

I do find myself using the pulse and glide method more and more and this seems to help the mpg but also reading the road ahead so not breaking constantly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bewA said:

yea i probably have a combined (home/work & back) dual carriageway stint of which takes me about 10mins at 70mph 🙂

I have almost two miles of DC and it's quite an incline. In the morning I can accelerate to 60 mph at the top, lift off and the car will still be doing 50 at the bottom, so a nice bit of regen to be had there and even a traditional ICE vehicle needen't expend any fuel(*). But in evenings after negotiating Banbury rush hour traffic it's not so good. Typically I have the choice of bimbling slowly up the hill behind a small queue then hoping to have room to move to the outside lane at the top or accelerating to at least 70 fairly smartish to avoid annoying the fastards who also want the outside lane.

Interestingly my Honda Jazz could hit 100 mph half way up that hill but for all that it has more get-up-and-go the Corolla seems to run out of wind and I've never got it above 90 mph by the time I have to think about backing off for the next roundabout.

(*) But some motorists haven't learned that or don't care. There are a fair few people who like to drive down it as fast as possible then brake (and most likely stop) at the M40 J9 roundabout at the bottom. I even get flashed sometimes and then have the flasher sit behind me in a queue with several cars in front of me. I wonder if they think 'Oops, that was pointless trying to get past' or (sadly more likely) 'If he'd let me past I'd already be on the M40'.

Lot of selfish drivers on the road but I think as hybrids and ev vehicles become more mainstream people driving habits may change

I have 2 dash cams in my car and after people crashing into my last cabs and writting them off they have been priceless in proving the other people were at fault

Yes I have one in mine, I stopped at some lights yesterday and a white van shot on the inside of me and jumped the lights. I reviewed the footage, I stopped just as they went on red, first in the queue, I timed it, he was TWO seconds later, didnt even slow down, just shot through as the other traffic was moving away (on a roundabout) One thing about driving a Hybrid and wanting to eek out your fuel, it does make you think ahead far more, less breaking and more coasting, without being a pain in the RRR's to other drivers too

• Like 1

Starting to doubt myself now.

Have drove 200 miles over 2 days and filled up again to the 2nd click 10.68 litres used at a cost of £13.55 

85.15 mpg this can't be right can it

Had 87.5mpg on the display

20190704_163531.jpg

• Like 1

Impressive!

I have done about 300 miles now, MPG showing average 70.5, needle is about 3/4 on the gauge, if it's anything like the old model it drops with a great rate of knots past halfway. I will report back on miles when I next fill up. I only ever fill it when the needle is low, and usually put £45 ish in the old car, not sure how much this one holds as it had some fuel put in before I had it (unknown qty) and I filled it with £31 when I brimmed it as soon as I got it

22 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Is that 55 mpg measured or displayed? Most of the time my Corolla seems to over state mpg by 5% but on long journeys it seems to overstate by as much as 30%

I can only imagine the extra power you can get. I sometimes teach a tailgater a lesson come out of a 30 zone by waking the ICE back up before accelerating hard and there's a lot of power just on the 1.8. The 2.0 must be pretty damn' decent. But I was more interested in economy than power so am happy with what I have 🙂

Displayed, once I start driving it to work (Bath) I will be able to get a more accurate figure.  I test drove both, the 1.8 was impressive but the 2.0 blew my socks off! I couldn't believe the power, I've owned an Evo 10 years back and its nearly on par with that for initial power delivery. I love the fact that you can have economy and power in a car or maybe I've just been driving a 1.6 diesel for too long!!!!  

• Like 1

I drive a Corolla Hybrid 1.8 (17” wheels) in Sweden and I’ve been averaging 56-64 mpg over 2000 miles (measured). I used to drive an Auris Hybrid before this Corolla and the new car is definitely more economical. 

Some things I don’t like about the Corolla: road noise when doing over 50 mph and I feel like the car is unstable at times when driving on the motorway. The car tends to sway and every time I hit a pothole everything shakes like crazy 😅. Car feels somewhat better in sport mode since the steering becomes heavier. Has anyone else experienced this? 

B53FD88B-34A8-45D0-A39E-49B57EDCFFA9.jpeg

32 minutes ago, vonkhaled said:

Some things I don’t like about the Corolla: road noise when doing over 50 mph and I feel like the car is unstable at times when driving on the motorway. The car tends to sway and every time I hit a pothole everything shakes like crazy 😅. Car feels somewhat better in sport mode since the steering becomes heavier. Has anyone else experienced this? 

Definitely not. My 1.8 is quiet at high speed, handles bumps just fine and never rattles. I don't know where Sweden gets its Corollas from but they don't sound like it's the same place I got mine. My Corolla feels like a quality vehicle at all times - and so it should. After paying £30k for it I'd expect nothing less.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vonkhaled said:

I drive a Corolla Hybrid 1.8 (17” wheels) in Sweden and I’ve been averaging 56-64 mpg over 2000 miles (measured). I used to drive an Auris Hybrid before this Corolla and the new car is definitely more economical. 

B53FD88B-34A8-45D0-A39E-49B57EDCFFA9.jpeg

The hatchback for European markets is built in the UK. The 2.0 Excel with 18 inch wheels is very stable at speed so maybe have a look at the tyre pressures as a lot of dealers like to over inflate. I do find hitting potholes seem to be harsher though (maybe tyre pressure again)? 

As for road noise I think it is generally alright. In fact I find it about the same as a 2018 1.8 Prius with smaller wheels but there is less suspension noise. I find it more unacceptable in the Prius though as it’s meant to be a comfort cruiser rather than a sport-ish hatchback. The 2.0 engine is definitely more refined too.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Definitely not. My 1.8 is quiet at high speed, handles bumps just fine and never rattles. I don't know where Sweden gets its Corollas from but they don't sound like it's the same place I got mine. My Corolla feels like a quality vehicle at all times - and so it should. After paying £30k for it I'd expect nothing less.

Well, mine is not quiet! Not sure what's making all the noise, I can also hear a lot of the side noise... like cars passing by etc  

The car is made in the UK like all other european Corolla hatchback models :)

7 hours ago, Cjohnston1982 said:

The hatchback for European markets is built in the UK. The 2.0 Excel with 18 inch wheels is very stable at speed so maybe have a look at the tyre pressures as a lot of dealers like to over inflate. I do find hitting potholes seem to be harsher though (maybe tyre pressure again)? 

As for road noise I think it is generally alright. In fact I find it about the same as a 2018 1.8 Prius with smaller wheels but there is less suspension noise. I find it more unacceptable in the Prius though as it’s meant to be a comfort cruiser rather than a sport-ish hatchback. The 2.0 engine is definitely more refined too.  

I was at the dealer two weeks ago and they made sure all the tyres had the right amount of pressure...2.8 bar (since it has 17" low profile tyres) according to the service center. 

3 hours ago, vonkhaled said:

2.8 bar

Perhaps that was a typo, but that pressure sounds a bit high.  (I should add that I don't own one of these.)  The Auris hybrid ran 2.3 bar, if I remember correctly.

It might be useful to know if you are all running the same brand of tyres when you are making noise comparison, I would expect they are the same, but who knows?

3 hours ago, vonkhaled said:

I can also hear a lot of the side noise... like cars passing by etc  

I'm sure you have already experienced this effect, but, when certain types of noise (e.g. engine, transmission) are reduced in comparison to a regular car, then the remaining, lesser, noises become more obvious, annoying and subjectively louder.  I have experienced this as a before/after situation when attempting to soundproof other cars.  Could the car's general quietness be making your 'side' noises more obvious? 

Although the Corolla doors close with a good 'clunk', I doubt that there is any more soundproofing on the metal part of the doors than on the Auris before it, which was two tiny squares (8 x 8 cm) of butyl on the sheet metal, so not very much.  Apart from the door card there isn't a lot to stop external noises getting in.  No doubt this is due to weight reduction, it will be said.  I'd rather have the sound proofing.

I notice that the 1.8 engine has no bonnet-attached sound proofing at all, where as the 2 litre has the regular fibre sheet attached via plastic clips.  Perhaps this is due to the extra noise from the direct fuel injection on the 2.0?  Or, as some suggest, the 'sound proofing' is actually for heat insulation to stop the bonnet getting too hot (?).  Either way, some fine tuning has been going on here, it seems.  

I picked up a new-at-the-dealer Corolla brochure yesterday (actually printed April 19) to see what the factory fuel figures are.  Despite the usual fuel consumption/CO2 disclaimers on the back cover, there was no reference to fuel consumption, or indeed anything remotely technical, contained in it.  Just pictures of the usual 'beautiful people' visiting bars etc. etc.  And pages of accessories and 'packs', without much detail on those either.  Perhaps there's a more comprehensive one on the way?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vonkhaled said:

Well, mine is not quiet! Not sure what's making all the noise, I can also hear a lot of the side noise... like cars passing by etc  

The car is made in the UK like all other european Corolla hatchback models 🙂

I was at the dealer two weeks ago and they made sure all the tyres had the right amount of pressure...2.8 bar (since it has 17" low profile tyres) according to the service center. 

Greg is right, 2.8 bar is far too high. That would certainly make the car feel unstable at speed and make the steering feel super light

E3DF5CEE-1B42-41D1-9F22-F74014A0F89F.jpeg

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Gerg said:

Perhaps that was a typo, but that pressure sounds a bit high.  (I should add that I don't own one of these.)  The Auris hybrid ran 2.3 bar, if I remember correctly.

It might be useful to know if you are all running the same brand of tyres when you are making noise comparison, I would expect they are the same, but who knows?

I'm sure you have already experienced this effect, but, when certain types of noise (e.g. engine, transmission) are reduced in comparison to a regular car, then the remaining, lesser, noises become more obvious, annoying and subjectively louder.  I have experienced this as a before/after situation when attempting to soundproof other cars.  Could the car's general quietness be making your 'side' noises more obvious? 

Although the Corolla doors close with a good 'clunk', I doubt that there is any more soundproofing on the metal part of the doors than on the Auris before it, which was two tiny squares (8 x 8 cm) of butyl on the sheet metal, so not very much.  Apart from the door card there isn't a lot to stop external noises getting in.  No doubt this is due to weight reduction, it will be said.  I'd rather have the sound proofing.

I notice that the 1.8 engine has no bonnet-attached sound proofing at all, where as the 2 litre has the regular fibre sheet attached via plastic clips.  Perhaps this is due to the extra noise from the direct fuel injection on the 2.0?  Or, as some suggest, the 'sound proofing' is actually for heat insulation to stop the bonnet getting too hot (?).  Either way, some fine tuning has been going on here, it seems.  

I picked up a new-at-the-dealer Corolla brochure yesterday (actually printed April 19) to see what the factory fuel figures are.  Despite the usual fuel consumption/CO2 disclaimers on the back cover, there was no reference to fuel consumption, or indeed anything remotely technical, contained in it.  Just pictures of the usual 'beautiful people' visiting bars etc. etc.  And pages of accessories and 'packs', without much detail on those either.  Perhaps there's a more comprehensive one on the way?

20 minutes ago, Cjohnston1982 said:

Greg is right, 2.8 bar is far too high. That would certainly make the car feel unstable at speed and make the steering feel super light

E3DF5CEE-1B42-41D1-9F22-F74014A0F89F.jpeg

Not 100% if it really was 2.8...but whatever he put in, it does seem to be too high. Checking the tyres after work today, thanks! 

33 minutes ago, vonkhaled said:

Not 100% if it really was 2.8...but whatever he put in, it does seem to be too high. Checking the tyres after work today, thanks! 

My dealer delivered the car with 38 psi on front and back, so I reduced the back. Thinking about it I might be more aware of passing cars than I used to be and also my previous cars have been Honda Jazzes and they have a harsh ride (albeit getting better with each iteration) so that might colour my impressions.

• Thanks 1

Good evening! 

So I deflated the tyres to 2.4 bar (they were at 2.6 bar) and the car feels fetter on the road now. Funny thing, on the sticker that is on the door sill (driver side) they recommend 2.3 bar 0-160 km/h. I tried 2.3 as well, car didn’t feel good at all. 

I’m going on a trip thru Latvia, Lithuania and Poland in two weeks, and it will be interesting to see the fuel consumption during this trip. I’ll get back with updates. 

Thank you everyone for your help and sorry for hijacking this thread a little bit :). 

• Like 1

1.8 Icon total score 69.3 mpg here with lots of short runs 3 miles or less, 73 mpg on longer runs, compares well with my previous Honda Insight at 57 mpg, the key to good mpg is keeping the Battery as full as possible what we lose on the school runs are made up for at weekends with 30 mile journeys. As Nathan said some people do get a shock when you put the welly in as I am convinced they read hybrid and think of electric kids go-karts

• Like 1

The ride quality & road noise between models was a big part of my decision to go with 16" wheels after test driving different spec levels multiple times I found the difference in handling and road (noise) to be considerable

My car is currently reporting 64 mpg. Not seen it that high while only commuting previously. I might actually get a calculated mpg above 60 mpg when I fill up in a couple of weeks.

And my mpg continues to climb. The car is now showing 64.7 at journey's end despite me not doing anything any different, and despite me now having used a third of a tank (normally the mpg has settled down by then). I'm beginning to wonder if it's because the car has passed 3,000 miles. If I remember correctly my Jazz had a drop in fuel consumption at around the same time.

I might actually achieve my hope of a measured 60 mpg or better on my daily commute. If that's the case I'll have to retract my implied criticism because a jump from ~54 mpg with a Jazz to ~60 mpg with a Corolla is not an insignificant improvement.

I'm now on 72.1 and covered 550 miles, the tank is on about 1/4 and range is showing 163, thats a whopping 713 mile range. My 2018 Auris Hybrid just did about 520 mile range when brimmed. I will be filling the tank tomorrow, will advise fuel put in and new range 👍

• Like 2