Do Not Sell My Personal Information

True mpg 1.8 Corolla hybrid 16 inch wheels

Cbatoday

On a full tank to full tank calculation, with just over 1000 miles on the clock, my Icon Tech 1.8 Hybrid has achieved 66.7 true mpg.

Well, my car had 20 miles on it when I picked it up (it had been to valeting bay and for fuel etc) so has covered 570 miles in total and 550 miles since I last brimmed it. I put in 31.28 litres, which cost £40.01. Now the average MPG on the gauge is 71.9 currently, but when you do the calculation it's a staggering 79.93 MPG :eek: I can't quite believe it 

Getting up to 1000 miles now and seem to be getting the best out of the cars optimum mpg.

I have to go to the petrol station later so will give my true mpg over the last 300 miles since I last filled it

Hopefully if my dash readout is anything to go by it should be ok as my eco screen seems high

20190710_084252.jpg

20190710_085834.jpg

wow some great mpg there, I wonder what message it gives once the eco score reaches 100 🤣

1 hour ago, Chattacks said:

wow some great mpg there, I wonder what message it gives once the eco score reaches 100 🤣

I'd accept nothing less than animated fireworks! 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok filled her up to 2nd click after 340 miles

Cost me £26.15 to fill 

Averaged 75.01 mpg

Great savings

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cbatoday said:

Ok filled her up to 2nd click after 340 miles

Cost me £26.15 to fill

Averaged 75.01 mpg

Great savings

just out of interest, what's the range on your tank now that it's filled up?

(I know this varies based on driving style)

it was 646 miles

• Like 1

Think mine was about 690 miles (I think) 

• Like 1

Just a general enquiry for the hypermilers and please do not take this as a criticism, what type of driving style and speed are you driving.  Do you keep up with the traffic flow or stay at an economical slower speed?  I try to drive at the most economical I can but also not want to slow the traffic flow too much and p*** off following drivers.  The best I have achieved so far is a real 62 MPG for a tank of fuel, and on an 180 mile journey including M25/A1 was an Eco score of 91 (best on a short journey was 98).

Just interested to know best tips people have to achieve some of the MPGs users are getting apart from all the obvious of smooth acceleration/breaking, planning ahead to minimise breaking, not carrying excess weight etc.  

I think those getting significantly in excess of 60 mpg are doing a lot of urban driving. As long as you aren't allowing the engine to cool down between trips a hybrid can be much more efficient around town. Out on the open road the system doesn't offer anywhere near the same advantages. But another factor that seems to be at play is wheel size. The Excel with it's larger wheels appears to be at a nearly 10% disadvantage and I assume that your sport also has large wheels.

Most of my driving is on free flowing A-roads and I prefer to drive as close to the posted limit as road conditions allow - apart from motorways where I typically sit in lane one with cruise control set at 60 mph. I also don't hang around when it's time to go. Most of the time I accelerate at between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm. My commute is 12 miles each way, 10 of which are free flowing A road but with a 50 mph limit, then two miles of urban driving to get to my office. I only encounter moderate congestion in the evenings.

But my Corolla Excel is definitely returning better fuel consumption on this tank and I fully expect to be over 60 mpg on a 'commuting' tank for the first time ever at the end of the month.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

I think those getting significantly in excess of 60 mpg are doing a lot of urban driving. As long as you aren't allowing the engine to cool down between trips a hybrid can be much more efficient around town. Out on the open road the system doesn't offer anywhere near the same advantages. But another factor that seems to be at play is wheel size. The Excel with it's larger wheels appears to be at a nearly 10% disadvantage and I assume that your sport also has large wheels.

Most of my driving is on free flowing A-roads and I prefer to drive as close to the posted limit as road conditions allow - apart from motorways where I typically sit in lane one with cruise control set at 60 mph. I also don't hang around when it's time to go. Most of the time I accelerate at between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm. My commute is 12 miles each way, 10 of which are free flowing A road but with a 50 mph limit, then two miles of urban driving to get to my office. I only encounter moderate congestion in the evenings.

But my Corolla Excel is definitely returning better fuel consumption on this tank and I fully expect to be over 60 mpg on a 'commuting' tank for the first time ever at the end of the month.

Thanks for that Andrue, you commute sounds similar to mine, small market town to drive out of, then free flowing A roads until I get to work, 10 miles each way.

• Like 1

I start by using decent fuel, usually Shell but not the expensive one. Over the years I have always found that cheaper fuels equals lower miles.

My car is used as a taxi and apart from being cold in the the morning the engine never becomes cold again for the rest of the day due to picking up fares and driving in stop start traffic 

When accelerating I back off the pedal when the engine cuts in then apply again after coasting for a few feet

My fuel drops by around 10% if I use on faster A roads but I do use the pulse and glide technique on these types of roads and tend to read the road conditions so never usually end up using the brakes

If people want to go faster than me they can burn their fuel and go round me but usually ending up at the red traffic lights not long after them

I just find driving this car is so relaxing and quiet  that it makes you alter your driving style 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cbatoday said:

My fuel drops by around 10% if I use on faster A roads but I do use the pulse and glide technique on these types of roads and tend to read the road conditions so never usually end up using the brakes

If people want to go faster than me they can burn their fuel and go round me but usually ending up at the red traffic lights not long after them

I don't usually bother with the P&G. The road I commute on - the A422 in South Northants - can be a bit aggressive during rush hour so I don't feel that it's advisable. But I definitely avoid using the brakes and usually only need them when driving out of Banbury in the evening. And you're completely right about people who overtake. I nearly always catch up with either at the half-way point of Farthinghoe or the final approach to Brackley.

Mind you the next few days are going to be worse than normal because with the British Grand Prix on this weekend there are going to be a lot of tourists pratting around. Saturday lunch time could be particularly annoying as I have a golf competition in the morning and will be driving back around midday. One of the Silverstone park and ride bases is just outside Farthinghoe and I drive past the entrance. Luckily Sunday I'm at a different course so will be going in the opposite direction to visitors. I'll get to laugh on the way back home looking at the stationary traffic on the opposite carriageway of the A43 🙂

I've had my 1.8 Design Estate with 17" wheels for 2 weeks. Dash showing 70 mpg. Using "fill to brim" method about 63. I'm happy with that though not sure why there should be a discrepancy. I don't know if that will continue - wife has a heavier foot than me :)

Oh not like this fast A roads and motorway driving. Even with a light food I am getting around 63 to 68 mpg on the gauge

Guessing this will be a true reading of around high 55 mpg

Will stick to town I think

• Like 1

Fuelled up after a 205 miles mix of motorway, A roads and town work

15.80 litres so 75mpg which is better than I thought it would be

33 minutes ago, Cbatoday said:

Fuelled up after a 205 miles mix of motorway, A roads and town work

15.80 litres so 75mpg which is better than I thought it would be

There might be a typo in those figures - I think the above gives 58.9 mpg, or am I missing something?

33 minutes ago, Gerg said:

There might be a typo in those figures - I think the above gives 58.9 mpg, or am I missing something?

I concur. 205/15.8*4.54 = ~58.9.

Used this online calculator

Screenshot_20190716-145054_Chrome.jpg

And this online one give me this

Screenshot_20190716-145640_Chrome.jpg

Looks like the first calculator is using US gallons, which odd for a .co.uk calculator. But British gallons are 1.2 times bigger than US gallons and 75 is 1.2 times 59. "..One imperial gallon is equivalent to approximately 1.2 U.S. liquid gallons." Actually that can't be correct since US mpg would be lower. So..it's as if it thinks you've entered the fuel in US gallons but then it's converted it to UK gallons for the answer.

If only there was a measuring system where the units were internationally agreed and standardised. Wouldn't that be nice?

:)

Personally I only use imperial for driving and golf. And frankly at the level at which I play golf the difference between a yard and a metre is fairly academic anyway :-/

423 miles, 32 litres. Almost exactly 60 mpg. So I think that's pretty official - a 1.8 Corolla Excel HB is better than 10% more efficient (in my hands at least) than a Honda Jazz. Nice one, Toyota 🙂

I filled the tank for the third time on Friday, my average on the gauge is still showing 72.1, but the actual calculation over the 1000 odd miles ive done is 69.76 MPG, still very happy with that 

• 2 weeks later...

Just drove 10 miles today from cold. Wish it would stay that way, though! 

IMG_1491.jpeg