Do Not Sell My Personal Information

True mpg 1.8 Corolla hybrid 16 inch wheels

Cbatoday

1 hour ago, bewA said:

I'm assuming when you say forcing you mean by using the EV mode button?

No, I'm talking about deliberately lifting off the accelerator pedal to get the car running off the Battery when it otherwise wouldn't do it itself. EV Mode is known to be bad for fuel consumption and I suspect it's the same regardless of how you force the car to run on electric. I think pre-empting it is fine rather than waiting for it to realise that electric mode makes sense. But I think making it go electric when it otherwise wouldn't have done so isn't a good idea.

Toyota have put a lot of thought into the control system and they will have picked appropriate thresholds for switching to/from electric mode. Trying to override those is basically driving the car in a way that Toyota don't think is best. Of course the car doesn't know about the dip in the road a hundred yards in front and by the time it detects it might be too late to do anything so it makes sense for us to help out. But on a flat section of road if the car doesn't see the need to go electric then I think leaving it alone is best,

I've been trying to follow the accelerator guidance and mostly it makes sense. The closer you follow it the better your score for whatever that's worth. Last night after driving home from golf (about 8 miles, mostly open road) I actually got 97 when I parked the car in the garage. Highest score I've ever seen.

But sometimes the guidance makes no sense or else is impractical. Most mornings when I pull away from my roundabout onto the main road the guidance bar only extends to the end of the EV range. Well no way am I going to accelerate away from a roundabout on a main road using just EV. A couple of days ago though it suggested full ICE so I don't know what was different that time. In both cases I'm accelerating away from 20 mph so..?

Other times it seems to follow what I'm doing. It'll suggest 'a bit of ICE' and you give it a bit of ice then it suggests 'a bit more'. The more you press the accelerator the more it suggests.

Ah ha! Sorry to spam the forum with messages but I found that thread. For some reason Chrome isn't showing it in my history on my work machine. Odd that. I thought all your browsing history was shared across all devices.

Anyway here it is. Enjoy.

If you can follow it for long enough there's some very in-depth technical information and calculations there.

Hey guys, I'm thinking about switching from a Focus 1.5 diesel estate to a Corolla 1.8 hybrid sports tourer.

Being a field engineer we are on the motorways quite a lot. Has anyone got any real world mpg figures for mostly motorway driving?

Thanks in advance 🙂

• Like 1

400 miles, 30 litres. 60.6 mpg. Car claimed 63.7. Pretty good. I've got a long trip next weekend so I'll finally get to see what it's self-claimed 70 mpg really means.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

411 miles, 30 litres. 62.2 mpg. Car claimed 64.3. The long trip never happened but that's very nice for a tank of commuting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Koush said:

Hi,

Anyone do a long motorway trip to see what the mpg is?

Thanks

Koush

I've only done one in my 1.8 Excel(*) HSD so far. At the end of the long run I think it claimed over 70mpg but after spending the week driving to/from golf courses in the area it was claiming mid 60s and when I filled up it was high 50s.

However I'm due to repeat the long journey and back this Friday so we'll finally know what a 1.8 Hybird HSD can do when driven for 360 miles at 60 mph (I usually drive motorways in lane one with CC set at 60 mph) as I'm not intending making any local trips with it while I'm there.

Interestingly it does seem to be more economical at 60 than at 50. It's only an observation but at 50 it seems to struggle to ever get the Battery charged to where it wants it. My daily commute (12 miles each way) is at 50 mph and when it's not the sole source of motive power the Battery is always being charged. The only time I've ever seen it 'help out' the ICE is on a couple of steep hills where the alternative is to lose speed.

But if I drive to one of a couple of local golf courses where I can drive about the same distance mostly at 60 mph after fifteen minutes the Battery starts to enjoy periods where it's not being charged. At that point it will start to help out the ICE on gentle slopes or when toddling along on flat stretches of road. It basically acts like everything is 'tickety boo' rather than the somewhat 'strained' behaviour at 50 mph.

The impression I get is that 20 minutes at 50 mph is not enough to get the battery to where the car likes to have it. But 15 minutes at 60 will do that. The only time I've ever seen the battery with only one (or indeed no) uncharged bars is when I've been travelling at 60. Travelling at 50 the best I've ever seen is two uncharged bars and then only for a short time.

(*)So larger wheels.

ok, thanks, I look forward to see your results.

I do a lot of motorway driving for work and did not know if I would see any benefit from hybrid since they work best in town/traffic situations.

Koush

1 hour ago, Koush said:

ok, thanks, I look forward to see your results.

I do a lot of motorway driving for work and did not know if I would see any benefit from hybrid since they work best in town/traffic situations.

Koush

I drove from Gothenburg, Sweden to Copenhagen, Denmark and back: 629 km (390 miles), 95 % highway, 110-130 km/h (68-80 mph) = 5,25 l/100 km (53.8 mpg UK). 3 adults + one toddler and some luggage. Dry condition and with AC on full time. 17” wheels. 

36AA2FD2-9B67-4096-83BE-524D373BAE69.jpeg

• Like 1

I have a 1.8 Hybrid Design hatchback (17" wheels). Just had a longish trip away with quite a lot of motorway driving. The mpg was not any better than my more usual town driving use. All my calculations so far have been between 60-63 mpg regardless of journey type. I'm pretty happy with those sorts of figures, though.

• Like 1

Well that didn't go to plan. Roadworks in various places (don't anyone go anywhere near Abergele!(*)) meant my usual route wasn't available. But nonetheless despite diversions and inclement weather the car has done well. I rarely exceeded 60 mph and used CC on the motorways but 370 miles, 26 litres is 64 mpg. Car claimed 68.

Although very irritating the Abergele experience was interesting. An hour spent dribbling along at 3mph (when we were actually moving) would normally kill mpg. But amazingly the Corolla managed to maintain a displayed 68 mpg. It'd drop to 66 when when ICE kicked in to recharge but then the subsequent electric running returned to 68.

Oh and I once again saw the weird behaviour of ICE running, Battery charging and electric motor providing power to the wheels. I assume there's a good reason for it but it seems rather odd.

(*)This is, of course, generally good advice anyway but in this case STAY AWAY FROM ABERGELE EVEN ON THE A55. Oh the humanity!

• 2 months later...

updated fuel consumption winter use has knocked it down to 61mpg from 69mpg, not impressed by the time the engine & heater take to warm up far worse heater performance than previous Honda Insight, on the bright side loving the car in general

I find my Gen4 Prius always returns better mpg when off MWays. 
Dome 5 journeys today totalling about 45 miles and the dash mpg shows just over 70mpg. No MWay miles. Outside temperature on outward journeys 4-5 degC, coming back 7-8 degC.   MWays and cruise control are a killer IMO

• Like 1

With 1.8 hybrid you can get pretty good figures doing motorway journeys all you need is relaxed driving, if you push it too hard may loose some mpg but not that bad, even diesels are behaving same. Fast and efficient are two different worlds that doesn’t work together. Electric motors are helping the ice even at higher speeds so there is a benefit from the system in general. 
Regards 

• Like 1

334 miles, 28 litres for a respectable (considering the weather) 54 mpg.

• Like 1

Have had a few tests in both engine versions, initially was going to go for the 2.0 because I thought the difference would be less than moving from my 342bhp gs450h but tbh the power difference isnt as noticeable as I was expecting so was swaying towards the 1.8. To make my final decision I got the 1.8 for my commute.

it showed just over 60mpg and was adequate on the motorway where I spend about half my commute. My current car is showing just over 32mpg so I’m hoping to save around €170 a month in fuel which would be great. I see a lot of people saying not to use acc but for me it is one of the reasons I’m getting a new car so if it costs a little more in fuel I’m not going to complain.

One of my big problems with it was no android auto (Spotify wouldn’t change track info and it would also freeze. Deal breaker for me) but I was assured I will get it in my car as standard so I’ve made the order.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

(1.8 Hybrid)

Drove up to my Dad's on Friday evening (180 miles). Atrocious weather and I'd done a week's commuting beforehand. Car claimed 60 mpg and when I filled up it came to 55 mpg. Drove back down yesterday and the weather was fine - the car is claiming 62 mpg.

On both occasions I pretty much sat in lane one with Cruise Control set at 60 mph although going up I drove about 60 miles on A roads.

Not bad figures all things considered.

• Like 1

Re using AC, unlike a normal car I don't find AC makes a noticeable difference in mpg, electric variable speed compressor uses minimal power. My Auris does a lot of M ways and it's fine as long as you don't drive it like the BMW lunatics.  60 to 70 mph and gentle acceleration.  I had 4 up in a hurry coming back at night in the good weather and doing 85 ish display still managed 58, 66 driven gently, but as others have said,  cold weather seems to knock 10mpg off roughly 

Hi, AC will knock a good 5mpg or more in hot days when needs to work harder to cool down the interior especially noticeable in town. AC will drain faster the main Battery and ice will kick in a lot sooner than usual to help propel the car. Driving on motorways at speeds will not make a big change though. 
Regards 

Well, 6 months into owning a TS Design 1.8, indicated mpg has fallen to 55 from 65+ in the summer. My commute of 10 miles each way is mainly on country roads with hills, bad bends and quarry/farming traffic, limiting speeds to between 45 and 50 mph on average. The colder weather has obviously had a big impact as well, I think, because the ICE has had to run for longer to keep the engine warm, and then there are the headlamps (dark both ways) and seat heaters. But 55 mpg still respectable I think.

• Like 1

One aspect of the ICE running more of the time (especially from cold) is that it might be putting more charge into the Battery than in summer. There's a stretch of road on my way home where I'm now regularly dropping into electric mode for a mile or so. If I did that in summer I'd run out of electric power in the 30 zone a couple of miles further on. But then as I mentioned in another post in summer I could easily do that 30 zone on electric power, inclines and all whereas in winter it's a struggle to even maintain 30 and I often can't.

I've lost about 10% it seems dropping from around 60 mpg in summer to around 54 in winter. Mine is the Excel so I'm pretty happy with that.

Thanks to everyone contributing to this post, especially Andrue for the balanced informative views expressed.

Wondering if anyone has experience / comparative figures between Sport and Normal modes,  for both consumption and performance. I was particularly intrigued by this comment re Sport mode  “........changes the steering feel, making it suitable for when agile driving response ........” we,ve certainly come a long way from the humble Morris 1100. LOL

Just filled up. 400 miles, 33 litres = 55 mpg. That does include 180 miles motorway though. I'm going to try and drive this tank in ECO mode and see if it makes any difference. Right now the biggest difference is how dead the accelerator pedal feels 😕

I have a feeling it won't make all that much difference as I'm already using the eco screen to control my use of Battery power but it'll be an interesting experiment.