Do Not Sell My Personal Information

True mpg 1.8 Corolla hybrid 16 inch wheels

Cbatoday

On 1/3/2020 at 7:27 PM, AndrueC said:

Just filled up. 400 miles, 33 litres = 55 mpg. That does include 180 miles motorway though. I'm going to try and drive this tank in ECO mode and see if it makes any difference. Right now the biggest difference is how dead the accelerator pedal feels 😕

I have a feeling it won't make all that much difference as I'm already using the eco screen to control my use of battery power but it'll be an interesting experiment.

As I said few times, I found Eco mode reduces mpg in my 2 ltr, so I only use normal and get 6 to 8 mpg improvement. Assumption is that Eco is for town travelling. I'd be interested if you find the same in the 1.8, as I dare say the set up is different on the 2 systems. Good luck.

3 hours ago, Timmon said:

As I said few times, I found Eco mode reduces mpg in my 2 ltr, so I only use normal and get 6 to 8 mpg improvement. Assumption is that Eco is for town travelling. I'd be interested if you find the same in the 1.8, as I dare say the set up is different on the 2 systems. Good luck.

Sorry, I've given up already. I'm a relaxed driver but ECO mode is horrible. It might save fuel if you can persuade yourself not to compensate by pressing the accelerator more but even I don't have that much patience. I wonder if the reduction you experienced is because you pushed the car harder to compensate because I kept finding myself accelerating harder to make up for the lack lustre acceleration it initially gave me.

Anyway I'm going to have to leave it to someone else to run a tank in ECO mode. I refuse 😕

20 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Sorry, I've given up already. I'm a relaxed driver but ECO mode is horrible. It might save fuel if you can persuade yourself not to compensate by pressing the accelerator more but even I don't have that much patience. I wonder if the reduction you experienced is because you pushed the car harder to compensate because I kept finding myself accelerating harder to make up for the lack lustre acceleration it initially gave me.

Anyway I'm going to have to leave it to someone else to run a tank in ECO mode. I refuse 😕

You could be right about me pushing the car harder, which sort of adds up, because in heavy town traffic, you would not do that, except maybe when pulling into a gap on a roundabout, or away from lights. I don't blame you for giving up, around these rural roads for the commute, normal mode is my default. Maybe if I go down to Oxford in rush hour, that would be a better test for Eco mode, or on the horrendous A34 on a Monday morning or Friday night! 

Huh, a slight rise in temperatures (commuting in double digits) and I get a 2 mpg economy improvement. Another couple of months and I'll be back to 60 mpg.

From my observations, if seat and wheel heaters are used and hvac is off, engine will run less and the consumption is much better.

The question is if we value more the comfort or the mpg...

10 hours ago, OXYGEN said:

From my observations, if seat and wheel heaters are used and hvac is off, engine will run less and the consumption is much better.

The question is if we value more the comfort or the mpg...

Yes, I have turned the ICE on and off by twiddling the air con control between 20 and 19 degrees! It has been a mild Winter so far in the UK, so I have never used the seat heaters, but normally never use them even with all leather seats as I had in my previous car. Even the air con I rarely used last summer, but I have a sun roof, so tended to open that. Maybe I will try using the heater and seat warmers to see what that does to the MPG. The Corolla can become a bit obsessive on mpg, in the SAAB, I didn't much care, it was just about using the turbo carefully if I wanted better mpg!

My AC is never off, my seat heaters are used regularly (must be an age thing :crybaby: ) The MPG has dropped from 74 in summer to 67 in winter, but that is always the case with Hybrids 

• Like 1

I leave the climate control on all the time as well. A large part of why I was prepared to pay £30k for a car was for the automation. I'll use the seat heaters if my bum gets cold (probably never as the seats aren't leather) but climate control is set up the way i want and left to do its thing.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Does anyone use their 1.8 Corolla Tourer or hatch for motorway driving? I'm a very relaxed driver indeed (some would say slow), however, sometimes I would like a bit more ooomph for overtaking (i.e. in the 70-90 MPH span.

I know the 2.0 will deliver that, however, I don't fancy paying the premium and the 1.8 may be more frugal on A roads at 50 60 MPH?

In Denmark, the speed limits on A roads are 50 MPH and motorway 70-80 mph.

On 7/5/2019 at 9:45 AM, Gerg said:

Perhaps that was a typo, but that pressure sounds a bit high.  (I should add that I don't own one of these.)  The Auris hybrid ran 2.3 bar, if I remember correctly.

As an owner of a 2013 Auris TS: the label in the driver's door states: ECO: front - 2.6 bar, rear 2.5 bar. 😀

The 1.8 has plenty of power for anything a reasonable driver would want.

• Like 1

I find it a bit lacking when accelerating between 70 - 90 mph. Although to be fair, I usually stay steadily between 70 and 80 with CC. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

had my sport-back 1.8 for 1 month now and i cant believe the mpg (i have had hybrids for the last 10 years) in a good way 

so far on motorway the lowest i have got is 64 best is 81 i know these figures are high taken from the my t app but on a full tank i got 571 from 37 liters (all motorway) that click to click at petrol station 

to me this is cracking mpg 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, corolla 2020 said:

had my sport-back 1.8 for 1 month now and i cant believe the mpg (i have had hybrids for the last 10 years) in a good way 

so far on motorway the lowest i have got is 64 best is 81 i know these figures are high taken from the my t app but on a full tank i got 571 from 37 liters (all motorway) that click to click at petrol station 

Lol that’s amazing, 4l/100km or 69mpg, very good indeed. I think I know what my next car is going to be. 👍🚗🇬🇧

15 hours ago, corolla 2020 said:

What's your motorway speed(s)?

3 hours ago, Nicolai said:

What's your motorway speed(s)?

Around 65mph 100km/h I guess. I do that and get 10mpg less, which is still good for my car.