Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TNS 510 question

Shavestick

Is there any way on the TNS 510 head to switch off the map view and fix it on the radio stations?

If I need to use a sat nav I use the excellent Google maps and Waze on my phone so only really need the audio display all the time not the maps.

Sent from my KOB-W09 using Tapatalk

Thanks, do you mean the Mode button on the steering wheel?
This changes the source i.e from AM to FM etc'

I had a look at the manual before and on page 176 there is a function to get the audio to stay on the screen, problem is, it doesn't really work hence my query.

When setting the screen transition from on to off, the audio screen will stay on for the duration of the drive but once you turn the engine off, when you start again the dreaded map is taking over again (even though the transition option is still set to off in the info menu).

Sent from my KOB-W09 using Tapatalk

the only way i've found to do this is to take the map sd card out.

• Like 1

the only way i've found to do this is to take the map sd card out.
I'll give it a go, if it's that simple I'll leave the card permanently in the glove box.

Thanks

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

I was also going to suggest this but I still suspect that there should be a setting/way for it to start on the previous (non-map) screen with it in. Touch 2 certainly will & iirc so would Touch.

Yep, problem solved by taking the SD out, now what will be a good mobile phone holder for the Avensis?

4 hours ago, Shavestick said:

Yep, problem solved by taking the SD out, now what will be a good mobile phone holder for the Avensis?

Brodit has several good ones. Just pick which you like

I've had this one for 3 years now and still going strong. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Magnetic-Dashboard-Vehicles-Tablets-Black-Phone-Mount/dp/B00T0I54Q8?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2

Goes to the left of the steering wheel so its a good spot for charging and not in the eyeline.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My wife has a question about the TNS510.
We currently have revision 1.0 of the maps on the SD from 2010.

If we invest in a current 2019-2020 card will there be any improvement or changes to the Nav system itself or is it just new maps?

After a long time usage of Google maps it feels a bit retro to use the built-in Nav though it is very useful in non cellular reception areas.

On 8/17/2019 at 10:59 AM, Shavestick said:

My wife has a question about the TNS510.
We currently have revision 1.0 of the maps on the SD from 2010.

If we invest in a current 2019-2020 card will there be any improvement or changes to the Nav system itself or is it just new maps?

After a long time usage of Google maps it feels a bit retro to use the built-in Nav though it is very useful in non cellular reception areas.

I am aware of sellers of later SD cards than yours at cheap prices, but be careful!
I use mobile phone apps like Google and Here WeGo, and say that Here maps is better when being navigated. The direction prompts spot on with timely reminders. Google does not always do this. I have the complete map of England downloaded, so if in a dead reception area, no problems. Here WeGo is like TomTom in many ways, and also shows the speed limit of the road you are travelling on. The Toyota system does show the speed limit, but that could be out of date too!
The repeat direction prompt reminder and the speed limit are a couple of things that Google does not do. Yes you get the occasional reminder, but not much. Google can download maps, but only sections of areas at a time. If you go to an area not downloaded, you are back on data. Google needs some preparation before setting out so you have maps preloaded just in case. Google deletes maps after a time!
Google and Here We Go are both good with their own advantages. Both are better than the cars built in system, and are fairly upto date.
The TomTom is available but free only for a short distance of use, then you have to pay! 
I have Waze, but don't like the graphics and the fact it's based on data coverage only. 
There is Map.Me which downloads whole countries like Here WeGo, to use offline. 

Yes there are plenty of options available.   

Thanks Konard,

I'll check Here we go, I'll put the funds allocated for new SD towards a new set of tyres needed soon at the front (ProTyre is doing a couple of Vredestein Trac 5 for £106 fitted).