Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear discs and pads

2005TSpirit

Plan to replace during the summer. Just wondering if anyone has experience of this, any difficulties with piston rewind (is any special tool needed), state of seals, piston wear, etc? Not sure what was replaced before but mileage is now 74K.

I plan to flush the brake fluid too.

Hi M welcome to the club. I can't help I'm afraid local garage does my repairs, good luck with it though and hope you get some answers.

Don't see why it should be anything but a straight replacement...new for old...parts are easy enough to get.

74k is not a lot of miles.

• 3 weeks later...

I have purchased new discs and pads (Toyota brand) and just realised that the rear brake assembly includes brake shoes for the parking brake. At the moment, the parking brake works OK but there is quite a lot of travel on the handbrake lever. Has anyone got experience with the parking brake? I can't imagine there is much wear if the shoes are used for parking only? Just wondering if it simply needs adjustment. On the other hand, I don't want to start the job and strip the brakes to find it needs new shoes. 

• 1 month later...

Hi, when you have taken the wheel of you will se a rubber bundle, remove this and move hole to the bottom, release the handbrake(don't forget to choc the front wheels)and un-do the handbrake adjuster nuts. At the bottom of the handbrake assembly there is a screw with a big cog around the outside, you need to push this cog round with a screwdriver to adjust the brakes to the drum. I put two wheel nuts back on at opposite ends to pull disk into it's running position. You need to turn the cog till the drum is getting hard to turn, back it off a little till you can just about feel the drum rub the brakes. 

Adjust it at the hand brake end and and all should be good. 

I took the drum of one side to see were the adjuster gog was situated, it is the same on the other side. Or look it up on        u-tube to see what it looks like. 

Good luck 

Tony

Thanks for the info. I completed the job and only needed to replace discs and pads. The parking brake shoes were showing no wear. Fortunately, the discs came off easily. The overall braking of the vehicle now seems slightly better than before. The parking brake seems fine (about 6 clicks) and I'll check it again with the wheels off the ground in a few weeks.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links