Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Need new rear brakes

Andy Kay

Hi guys

my rear brake discs are in a bad way so it's time to get new rear brakes and pads. 

I looked on the internet and found these available from EBC for £72.53 (inc VAT) here:

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/automotive/toyota/iq/1.3-2009-/13221

Before I go ahead and purchase (and get my local mechanic to fit them) I wanted to get your opinion on this course of action (e.g. bad reports about EBC? Better price elsewhere?)

Thanks for any advice,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

I had not a good experience with EBC on my old Smart and my IQ, I would stick to Toyota genuine pads, these are excellent. The EBC standard pads in my IQ were noisy, wore the disc quicker. Price? yup, probably dearer, but cheaper in the long run. Pagid discs are good, but are they as good as the gen parts???

Sorry if that disappoints you, but your life depends on good reliable brakes.

Vox

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vox said:

Sorry if that disappoints you, but your life depends on good reliable brakes.

No need to apologise Vox -- this is precisely why I posted. Thanks for taking the trouble to let me know.

What mileage are you up to? My iQ3 has done 74,000 miles and is still on the original rear pads. The front were changed a while back though.

28 minutes ago, sparrow2 said:

What mileage are you up to? My iQ3 has done 74,000 miles and is still on the original rear pads. The front were changed a while back though.

I'm up to 60,000 miles but I've had problems with the rear brakes binding. The pads seem to get wedged somehow and wear on an angle.

On 7/3/2019 at 6:08 PM, Andy Kay said:

Hi guys

my rear brake discs are in a bad way so it's time to get new rear brakes and pads. 

I looked on the internet and found these available from EBC for £72.53 (inc VAT) here:

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/automotive/toyota/iq/1.3-2009-/13221

Before I go ahead and purchase (and get my local mechanic to fit them) I wanted to get your opinion on this course of action (e.g. bad reports about EBC? Better price elsewhere?)

Thanks for any advice,

Andy.

I would always get these coated discs, as they are new......or they just rust like mad.

On 7/5/2019 at 12:43 PM, Helisupp said:

I would always get these coated discs, as they are new......or they just rust like mad.

I'll bear that in mind, thanks Helisupp.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd definitely go with Pagid disks and pads.  My MR2 Roadster went through 3 sets of OEM disks in rapid succession before I fitted Pagid 5 years ago, and these are still going strong and look great too...the hubs are painted and don't rust!!

Not over impressed with the Brembo set I had fitted last year, used Pagid on my Saab fitted approx 5yrs ago and am

looking at replacing again, very reasonable for the price, have a look on eurocarparts voucher codes.

regards Chris

On 7/21/2019 at 5:51 PM, misterk said:

I'd definitely go with Pagid disks and pads.  My MR2 Roadster went through 3 sets of OEM disks in rapid succession before I fitted Pagid 5 years ago, and these are still going strong and look great too...the hubs are painted and don't rust!!

@misterk: Sorry for the delay... I replied to this post but it seems it didn't appear. Thanks for the vote of confidence in Pagid. The job has been done now and Pagid parts were used (or at least they were specified as a requirement... I wouldn't know by looking). 

@saab9002: Same again... good to know I made a good choice. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links