Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retrofit quiet cars by 2021

Chriss27

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere. Just reading about EU directive that all new hybrid/electric cars must be fitted with a fake engine noise at speeds under 12mph or when reversing. Also noted that this fake noise must be retrofitted to existing cars by 2021 which will affect me. Does anyone know whether the cost of this will be passed to the registered owner? 

Apologies found a thread from Sunday. Would still be interested as to who bears the cost.

Cars with new Type Approval must have the sound generators from 1st July 2019, and all new cars built from 1st July 2021.

No retrofitting of sound generators to cars which don't fit into these two categories (ie current EV's or hybrids). The same arrangement that was used for daytime running lights and tyre pressure monitoring systems. 

35 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Cars with new Type Approval must have the sound generators from 1st July 2019, and all new cars built from 1st July 2021.

No retrofitting of sound generators to cars which don't fit into these two categories (ie current EV's or hybrids). The same arrangement that was used for daytime running lights and tyre pressure monitoring systems. 

What is a type approval?

Is it a new model or a revision to a model?

E.g. previous rav4 Vs this current one or something like going from an auris to a Corolla (I don't mean this current Corolla I'm just using it as an example).

Type Approval is where a vehicle gets certified that it meets legal requirements for that country or state, and is needed before it can be sold within that country or state. In the case the EU, Type Approval is for the whole of the EU.

Type Approval is for substantially new models - so the 2019 Corolla and Rav4 would have undergone Type Approval before going on sale in the first quarter of 2019 (and the hybrid versions won't need to comply with the Acoustic Vehicle Alert System legislation until July 2021).

The second generation Auris (2012-2019) was a re-worked first generation, and carried forward the first generation's Type Approval from 2007.

Pure unadulterated scaremongering. I listened to piece on this yesterday, nothing will be retrofitted, no cost to any current owner - it’s just for cars produced after a certain date which haven’t been made yet, let alone purchased. Also having heard the BMW noise that’s going to be ‘played’ it’s all a little Bladerunner sounding.