Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fitting a Dashcam 2013 Yaris

Ray Bush

Please forgive me if this topic has been covered ,but I wanted confirmation before I fit my Dashcam.

I've bought a Garmin 55 Dashcam with the Parking mode wiring kit .I have a few questions that i'm sure owners will know from past experience .

Where is the fusebox within the car  ,the manual says it's under the passengers side glove box / instruments is that correct? ,only I've seen a video of a Dashcam being fitted to a Yaris and the fuseboard was in the footwell left hand side under the trim. .With the Garmin wiring kit I have three wires ,Ignition feed ,permanent live and earth .What i'm trying to ascertain is what fuse can I use for the permanent live and the Ignition feed ,hopefully , there will be an earth point somewhere local to the fuse box within the car

Thanks for your anticipated help.

The  relevant fusebox is indeed below the glovebox. You might find it convenient to remove the glovebox too. There is a cover beneath held in place by spring loaded plastic retainers. Your handbook will show that. If you are "piggybacking" supplies the fusebox cover will no longer fit.

My cameras are wired differently using a dedicated Battery which only needs a switched supply. However, the accessory fuse is ideal for the switched supply (fuse no. 15 in mine). You will need to go through the fuses with a meter/test light to find a permanent live. Try not to use anything safety related or critical for a supply. For an earth I have used a bolt (10mm socket) behind the footwell trim just in front and at the bottom of the door opening. This is scured by a plastic nut and one push in trim connector. Once the nut is removed it pulls off. It is necesary to remove the sill plastic first. That just pulls upwards. With those removed it makes a good place to hide some wiring.

Shout up if you need anything further. Not tomorrow though - no online access.

1st pic. sill trim - pull upwards. Careful, clips are fragile. 2nd pic. trim in front of sill trim, suitable bolt behind here. Plastic nut is top front, remove first, possibly only finger tight. The nut can just be seen in the pic..Then pull off to the right.

3rd pic. is cover to access fusebox. Clips can be seen. release clips, pulldown and then towards rear. Plastic locating pins into the firewall at the front.

When I hardwired mine I initially used a bolt securing the fusebox. That is not connected to car body. I wondered why the camera wouldn't power on!

IMG_20190704_140914_0.thumb.jpg.24cea3b235eacc5630f3793d1f9c6c81.jpgIMG_20190704_140941_4.thumb.jpg.de77f29ee71ed1166cf438b8b7266384.jpg

IMG_20190704_140949_9.thumb.jpg.ca46e8bf430f10eedabf4fef74717302.jpgIMG_20190704_140941_4.thumb.jpg.de77f29ee71ed1166cf438b8b7266384.jpg

• Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question ,the pics and advice should help me through. Does the switched Battery thing make it easier to install a Dashcam?,if so ,where can I get one.
  • Thanks

14 hours ago, Ray Bush said:
  • Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question ,the pics and advice should help me through. Does the switched battery thing make it easier to install a dashcam?,if so ,where can I get one.
  • Thanks

https://amzn.to/2YC3AUi

Here you go.

Alan

Ignore my dedicated Battery remark Ray. If that's what you are referring to? It is a separate lithium polymer Battery pack with the dedicated connections for my Dashcam (Cellink Neo). Not cheap unfortunately but avoids using the car's starting Battery in parking mode. It's not intended for that! The lithium battery charges from the CIG fuse when driving then powers the Dashcam, if required, when parked. Is this the wiring kit you have? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Parking-Mode-cable-Dash/dp/B06XTBPYS2/ref=sr_1_6?crid=24QZR3OJ7SWHT&keywords=garmin+dash+cams+for+cars&qid=1562406588&s=gateway&sprefix=garmin+dashcam%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-6

You already have a hardwire kit, according to your opening post. So you need to find a suitable constant power fuse to use for parking mode and an ignition switched supply, e.g. CIG fuse. I'm not familiar with a Garmin camera or how it's parking mode functions so I could be totally incorrect re the parking mode on your camera. Presumably you will be using "piggyback" fuse taps? Two fuse holders and the blade with a cable and crimp connector at it's end. Toyota look to use low profile fuses. 

I'll be using two piggy backs and an earth .The paring mode cable and box (I think) has a built in sensor that if the Battery gets low turns the dash cam off .Are the cars fuses called low profile fuses ?.

Regards   Ray

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Circuit-Piggy-Holder-Profile-Blade/dp/B074HMKH2K/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3DFSJ6R63VA8P&keywords=low+profile+mini+car+fuses&qid=1562418404&s=gateway&sprefix=low+profile+car+fuses%2Caps%2C139&sr=8-6

These are the same as fitted in my fusebox. Yes, low profile mini fuses.

That's quite possibly an inline protection fuse on the yellow "BATT", permanent 12v, cable.

I wondered whether that little black box has a preset low Battery voltage cut off. Seems like it does. Some have little dip switches to control the cut off and supply (!2/24) voltage and time on. e.g. Power Magic Pro. Lukas have similar but with "posh" pushbutton programming!

Good luck.👍

Thanks for all the info . Just removed the fuse box cover under the dash, apart from having to crawl in on your back I can get to all fuses in that box no need to remove the glove compartment  ,just got to get a meter on the fuses and find my switched and perm live , hopefully both should be in that box. I'm not to bothered that the box cover will no longer fit ,i'll just keep it in the glove compartment.

Once I get the trim off i'm hoping that the rubber door trim is joined under it and it pulls off nice and easy, I know that I've got to be careful with the trim re clips etc .

I've just fitted a next base Duo in the wife's Focus that  was quite an easy job ,fuse board easy access ,earth point about six ins from box and a built in parking mode .

I bought the Garmin 55 as it gets a very good write up and has a few handy toys on it...... like ,lane departure ,speed cameras and a few others that i cannot think of  .

Regards

Ray

The switched live most useful is CIG (15A fuse). Can't advise re a permanent live unfortunately. There has to be a suitable feed?

The rubber trim does pull off and refit quite easily.

I agree, removing the glovebox isn't essential but I found it easier for access and securing/hiding excess cables

Yes,that fusebox isn't the most accessible!😕

18 hours ago, Ray Bush said:

i'll just keep it in the glove compartment.

.Ditto.👍