Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Catalytic convertor lock

Eghtan

We had the catalytic converter stolen from our Toyota Auris hybrid. It has now been replaced but I would like to get a lock or cage to prevent this from happening again.

Toyota only have a lock that is compatible with the Prius. I have rung a few companies that manufacture catalytic converters but they are mainly for commercial vehicles. Has anyone ever had a catalytic converter lock fitted for an Auris? Where did you get this from?

Thank you!!

Edited by FROSTYBALLS
Topic title edited to reflect subject

Duplicate topic deleted.

I would have though that anyone with the equipment and knowledge to remove a catalytic converter is capable of removing a "lock" too.

How was it removed? Cordless angle grinder or otherwise?

mrph, I have no idea. Apparently catalytic converters are easy to steal from toyotas. It was done in under 10mins and all that was left was a flap of flimsy metal dangling from underneath my car.

was advised by our mechanic to contact Toyota for a cage but they only do them for the Prius.

They are made by Catlock https://www.catlocks.co.uk/

See if they have a local agent to you. They are fairly universal fit

MOST cars Cats are easy to steal, they get under the car and use a cordless angle grinder to cut it off, no finess, no unbolting, cut through the pipe either end and away in seconds on any car, and if it's like a Hilux, even easier, you don't have to jack it up, just crawl under the car. These are being cut off by gangs of people in broad daylight, ruthless gangs who don't care about the damage to your car. Watch fatboy hand over a cordless hacksaw, not a care in the world

From looking at news reports and police notifications, it isn't just Toyota vehicles which are prone to cat theft. As well as the second generation Prius, the Auris (from one notification only), the Honda Jazz, Honda Accord, BMWs, Audis and VWs are also common targets. This is in addition to vehicles with high ground clearance such as SUV's, pick ups and vans.

The issue is much more widespread than one manufacturer.

Toyota have said they are looking at developing Catlocs for other vehicles, so it may be worth checking with Toyota GB whether they intend producing one for the Auris. See

The purpose of devices like Catloc is to increase the time it takes to remove the protected item and also to identify by security marking where the item has come from.

Thank you all for your replies.

i have spoken to catlocks and they have vehicle-specific locks for Toyota hilux. They are mainly aimed at commercial vehicles so couldn’t advise me on whether one of their universal locks would be compatible with the Auris. 

Have also spoken to a couple of local garages and they are not familiar with fitting cat locks.

thank you also for the article. I have read it and contacted Toyota and they said that they may manufacture a lock for the Auris in the future but there isn’t one on the way as far as they know. 

As this is such a widespread issue, i suppose I am hoping that there is some sort of generic protection device that is available for small personal-use vehicles like mine. Unfortunately I have to park in the same car park everyday for work and I suppose this is why my car was targeted. It is also why I am so keen to get some sort of protection for my car. It may happen again tomorrow!

I had cat stolen from 2013 1.8l Plugin Hybrid. All sorted now, but I wouldn't like it to happen again !!

I want to get a cage or lock, never heard of the Toyota model, is there a link, it was certainly never mentioned when the local dealer replaced mine !

I dont have a ramp to look underneath the car to check dimensions, but I think this would fit ?

https://www.catlocks.co.uk/product-page/1002

Or would I need two of those !

It appears to be a reasonably straightforward job to fit, I would think my local garage would sort.....

See the link in my last post

My wife’s 63 reg Auris hybrid was targeted at train station park and ride 😞. Looks like Toyota needs to get a catloc made for the Auris too now

I raisec a query on Toyota UK blog, re Auris catalytic convertors being stolen. Toyota's reply was:

"Thanks for getting in touch today. The Catalytic converter in the Auris is not exposed and therefore cannot be stolen. This means that there is not a Catloc available because you will not need it to protect your vehicle. "

Perhaps members who own Auris' who have had their cats stolen would like to contact Toyota GB, raise the issue, and ask whether Toyota will be looking at methods for owners to use to protect the cats on the Auris.

Limshady, sorry to hear this. It’s becoming such a common crime. My car is not the first to have been targeted at the car park I was parked in, and probably won’t be the last. I have seen cctv footage of mine being stolen and it was very slick.

Frostyballs, thank you for raising this issue on our behalf. Do you know if there is an email address that I can contact? I have a phone number but they were not very helpful. Thank you again

A further response from Toyota:

"We are very sorry to hear about this situation. A Catloc for Generation 2 Auris is under development and will be available in the near future, however we have no further information to reveal at this time. If you would like to talk about this with someone in our Customer Relations team you can find their contact details via this link: https://www.toyota.co.uk/contact-us/"

On 7/4/2019 at 2:06 PM, Eghtan said:

mrph, I have no idea. Apparently catalytic converters are easy to steal from toyotas. It was done in under 10mins and all that was left was a flap of flimsy metal dangling from underneath my car.

was advised by our mechanic to contact Toyota for a cage but they only do them for the Prius.

Good luck with getting catloc sorted for your Auris. I am trying to sort out the same for my Prius. Maybe some dealers are more knowledgeable about this form of protection, certainly it was never mentioned when I had my cat replaced

On 7/4/2019 at 3:14 PM, altough63 said:

I want to get a cage or lock, never heard of the Toyota model

See https://blog.toyota.co.uk/catalytic-converter-theft-how-to-protect-your-car?utm_source=ToyotaOwnersClub&utm_medium=ForumLinks

28 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

"We are developing one for the third generation Prius" 

Contacted Toyota today, Toyota UK told me they can sort, I should contact my local dealer, which I have done, they didn't mention its only for 2nd gen. Will let you know how I get on........

8 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

A further response from Toyota:

"We are very sorry to hear about this situation. A Catloc for Generation 2 Auris is under development and will be available in the near future, however we have no further information to reveal at this time. If you would like to talk about this with someone in our Customer Relations team you can find their contact details via this link: https://www.toyota.co.uk/contact-us/"

Thankyou for this info. Near future sounds promising and am actually surprised that they say they are making a catloc for the Auris as the Auris is no longer in production.

I have contacted Toyota UK as you suggested (thank you) and they suggested getting a tilt alarm (will sound if the car is lifted or tilted) but couldn’t recommend where to get one.

Altough63, do you think you will get One of those universal cat locks?

im quite reluctant to do that as don’t know if it will fit and my local garage doesn’t know how to install it. May be difficult trying to find someone to install. 

Hi Eghtan, I am undecided to be honest. I have worries about the size too, although I believe it should be a straightforward job - instructions are supplied. I have not been able to contact catlocks.co.uk - I suspect they are defunct. There are some of the universal catlocks on eBay !

Toyota UK got back to me today, originally they said I could have their approved lock fitted at my local dealer. I pointed out that their own doc says that it is not yet available for the gen 3 Prius which is what I have ! They then say this will be available at the end of the month, but I don't have 100% confidence in that ! Its a worry !

If I find out any more I will let you know ! Also going to post new on here, you would think someone would have experience with this !

thanks, Alex

Thanks ! I will try that...

OBD told me that they plan to supply a bespoke system to Toyota in the coming months, I have gone back to ask if they have a more specific date. It might be worth enquiring about the Auris, they got back to me very quickly....

They also said that the universal fit is suitable for the gen2 Prius but they could not comment with regards the gen3.

thanks, Alex

Thank you for this info Alex. What is OBD?

i hope they come up with something soon!