Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Catalytic convertor lock

Eghtan

Just now, Eghtan said:

Thank you for this info Alex. What is OBD?

i hope they come up with something soon!

Sorry I’ve just seen frostyballs post- thank you. I will try contacting obd too. Cheers

1 hour ago, Eghtan said:

What is OBD

See my post of Wednesday - On Board Defence

This is the response I got from OBD:

"Thank you for your enquiry into Catloc. 

We currently have a Bespoke solution for the Gen 2 Auris, which we believe your vehicle is based on the year. We expect to deliver these to Toyota Central Stores at the end of this month and should be on sale from your local Toyota dealership early to mid-august. 

Unfortunately this is an exclusive Catloc designed for Toyota and such will only be available from your local dealership.

We expect the part number to be GBNGACATLOC9

I hope you find this information useful,"

This is very promising for me and hopefully it will be available when they say- mid August. 

Thank you everyone for your help and advice!

Good news ! The timescale is very similar to that for the Prius Gen 3 - maybe a coincidence ! Good point with regards the part number, I will check that I have.....

I just to find a secure lockup in the meantime !

Good luck, Alex

Gen 2 Prius – GBNGACATLOC7

Gen 3 Prius / Gen 2 Auris Hybrid – GBNGACATLOC9  

2nd should be available in August I am told.....

• 1 month later...

Asked my Toyota dealer for Gen 2 Auris Hybrid  and was told it is £250 installed (vat included) and availible in a week time

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SponsorUK said:

Asked my Toyota dealer for Gen 2 Auris Hybrid  and was told it is £250 installed (vat included) and availible in a week time

Thanks Andy, hopefully the gen3 Prius will also be available soon. I will ask.....

Will see if I can manage to take a picture before and after, when it is installed end of this week

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

posted update and pictures here

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I spoke to Toyota to get a catlock on my gen2 Auris. They booked me in but said they’ve had thefts despite the catloc.

whilst waiting for my appointment my catalytic converter has been stolen again!! 

Anyone had their cat converter stolen despite the catloc? Wondering if I should just get a new car!

• Sad 1

It isn't just Toyota that is affected by catalytic converter thefts - as well as the Auris and Prius models being targeted, Hondas, Audis, VW vans, Citroen Berlingos, etc, etc are also affected, plus SUV's and vehicles with high ground clearance. So changing make or model may not prevent the issue happening again.

As with any security device, theft cannot be guaranteed to be prevented. The same applies to vehicle alarms, trackers, steering wheel locks, etc.

• Like 1

Going to look at making a big plate to go over my CAT. Nice bit of alloy plate. 

The problems is the cat lock cables can be cut easy once they cut the CAT off, I’ve fitted loads on Merc sprinters I always fit them so you can’t get to the cables to cut them. 

The problem with Auris and loads of other cars for that matter is it’s easy to get to. 

If you had a alloy plate cover over it disc cutters take a bit longer to cut alloys and they would have to cut the plate out. Would take to long. That’s my plan 

• Like 1

They simply cut it off. Takes less than a couple of minutes. 

I've fitted around 50 plates to Aurisi's last week for a hire company. Only 850 to go! But yes, it's a big problem. They're losing a few cats every week to the thieves. 

On 9/11/2019 at 9:39 PM, Kineticsteve said:

Going to look at making a big plate to go over my CAT. Nice bit of alloy plate. 

The problems is the cat lock cables can be cut easy once they cut the CAT off, I’ve fitted loads on Merc sprinters I always fit them so you can’t get to the cables to cut them. 

The problem with Auris and loads of other cars for that matter is it’s easy to get to. 

If you had a alloy plate cover over it disc cutters take a bit longer to cut alloys and they would have to cut the plate out. Would take to long. That’s my plan 

2 or 3mm steel I'd suggest. Although just having it there will likely deter them. 

28 minutes ago, JoeyC said:

I'd happily fit one of our custom made ones.

Just be aware of the forum rules:

Advertising and Soliciting

We have very strict rules about advertising on our message-boards. Authorised Traders may advertise their products and / or services in their allocated section(s) of the message-boards. Authorised Traders must follow Trading terms and conditions (see below). All unauthorised advertising or soliciting will be removed without explanation and without notice. This includes, but is not limited to:

• Directing members to external websites.
  • Advertising in signatures.
  • Using a thread to indirectly advertise or praise a product (unless the post is a personal recommendation based on personal use).
  • Placing commercial hyperlinks over pictures.
  • Posting of referral, affiliate or any commission generating links.

Persistent unauthorised advertising or soliciting may result in a removal of your membership of the club, on either a permanent or temporary basis.

Just now, FROSTYBALLS said:

Just be aware of the forum rules:

Advertising and Soliciting

We have very strict rules about advertising on our message-boards. Authorised Traders may advertise their products and / or services in their allocated section(s) of the message-boards. Authorised Traders must follow Trading terms and conditions (see below). All unauthorised advertising or soliciting will be removed without explanation and without notice. This includes, but is not limited to:

• Directing members to external websites.
  • Advertising in signatures.
  • Using a thread to indirectly advertise or praise a product (unless the post is a personal recommendation based on personal use).
  • Placing commercial hyperlinks over pictures.
  • Posting of referral, affiliate or any commission generating links.

Persistent unauthorised advertising or soliciting may result in a removal of your membership of the club, on either a permanent or temporary DSbasis.

Sorry. I removed that from the post. Would have done it free since we have way more than we need and only takes 8 minutes once on the ramp. 

On 9/11/2019 at 8:48 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

It isn't just Toyota that is affected by catalytic converter thefts - as well as the Auris and Prius models being targeted, Hondas, Audis, VW vans, Citroen Berlingos, etc, etc are also affected, plus SUV's and vehicles with high ground clearance. So changing make or model may not prevent the issue happening again.

As with any security device, theft cannot be guaranteed to be prevented. The same applies to vehicle alarms, trackers, steering wheel locks, etc.

When I reported the crime to the police at 1pm, the officer said they had already dealt with 3 stolen cats in the morning, all of them from Toyotas. 😔

i will get a catlock as it’s better than nothing, but having had my cat stolen twice, I’m starting to think it’s not financially viable to keep my otherwise much loved Auris.

23 hours ago, JoeyC said:

2 or 3mm steel I'd suggest. Although just having it there will likely deter them. 

No not steel. Disc cutter we cut though that like butter. 

Is the theft of catalytic converters not covered by comprehensive insurance?  The theft of a car is covered, so should to my mind, the theft of a part of the car be covered

It's covered under insurance, but even if you have protected no claims your premium will go up & you will lose your no claims discount after they steal the replacement 😞

Looks like replacing the stolen one with a cheap aftermarket converter you pay for yourself & selling the car straight away is the way to go 😞

Very sad, as the cars are great but a theft magnet with the converter sticking out the bottom instead of under the bonnet.

4 hours ago, sportse said:

It's covered under insurance, but even if you have protected no claims your premium will go up & you will lose your no claims discount after they steal the replacement

Depends on your insurer and policy. Protected no claims discount only protects the level of discount you have - never has prevented a premium increasing. With my insurer (LV) and policy I can have three claims in the 12 months from renewal without losing any NCD.

Mad idea but would removing the 'hybrid' Badge reduce the risk. Obviously this wouldn't work with a prius

• Like 2

This is actually a good idea but thieves knows that hybrid Toyota’s has a blue in their main badges and will not stop them targeting our cars. We need to change those badges too. 

57 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

This is actually a good idea but thieves knows that hybrid Toyota’s has a blue in their main badges and will not stop them targeting our cars. We need to change those badges too. 

True but the hybrid gives them more indication at a distance when they drive past. I bet just removing the hybrid badges must reduce the risk. I'll also looking into adding a tilt/shock sensor.... Then possibly a 130db siren in the engine bay, that'll wake them up