Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 2.4 VVT-i T Spirit 4dr (2004) - is this a rarity??

A583_Blackpool

Please help - does anyone know about this Avensis variant?

I have agreed to buy this from a dealer in a nearby town, never knew there was such a thing as a 2.4 litre Avensis. An internet search produced these two items

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/avensis-2003 "161PS 2.4 litre engine was short lived. Lasted in production only from 2003 to 2005"

Did it have issues or not many sold?

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/car-reviews/toyota/avensis/avensis-2003-2009

So is this car a rarity? From my own inspection it seems fine, it's a beautiful car, very clean, hopefully my best one yet! Four previous owners, 118,000 miles, originally purchased in Hertfordshire and then moved up the country to Lancashire.  Automatic gears with manual selection option. Unusually it has (with one exception a few years ago) a full main dealer service history. I see no advantage to main dealer servicing, the local garage I use have never let me down and sometimes work on top of the range Lexus and BMW models.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has owned or worked on these, anything to watch out for?

Photographs from dealer's website (there are more but show registration)

Thank You

t_spitit2.thumb.jpg.95ed23404493bd1a5ef2ba684196ecb2.jpg

t_spirit3.jpg

t_spirit.jpg

From memory, it was just very rare, and engine was mainly made for other markets in the Camry and Rav4. Think this was the UK luxury equivalent of the 2.5 Lexus IS 250. Bear in mind the Avensis 2.0 VVTI manual had 145bhp. Gearbox oil worth a change maybe, the Toyota fixed price isn't much in my eyes. The engine went in the Previa at one point (found a Jap import with 243k miles on). Found this too.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=44447

Hope enjoy, should be fine. 😀

Looks a lovely car - are those 17" alloys? If not original spec insurers need to know. The only thing I do not like on my 08 Avensis (same model) is that the headlights are not so good.

Judging by this, T Spirit alloys look like this, so original. 

Thank you for all replies, I will mention the gearbox oil change issue when it goes to the local garage, and also ask them to stick to the Toyota service schedule as far as they can.

Interestingly someone has written LEXUS LS 250 on the documentation which seems to be complete. I will keep it that way but the car isn't going to the main dealer.

Just hope this version of the VVT-I engine isn't thirsty for oil. My orevious 1.8 Avensis GS certainly was.

Its the 2.4 AZ engine which was also used in the Camry (which they also stopped selling in UK in 2005). Popular engine in other markets though....   all aluminium and a chain driven cam.

There is nothing in common with the Lexus IS250.

I believe the earlier ones had an Aisin U241E 4-speed box whereas the last ones produced had a U250E 5-speed.

The 1.8 auto's had a U341E gearbox which is a different beast.

Theoretically the gearbox is lifetime fill.  I think Toyota base that on a car lifetime of 10 years!  It would no doubt benefit from a change.

If you drain the 'box about half the fluid will come out. Around 4 litres.  What I do on most auto's is drain, refill, drive 20 miles and drain and refill again. That changes 75% of the fluid, which is enough. You can do a full fluid change via the cooler lines but it can get messy. The ATF is Aisin Warner 3309, which Toyota sell as 'T-IV' at a ridiculous price. You can buy this fluid from other suppliers (try ebay). Don't use Dexron fluid and don't use 'multi-vehicle' fluids.