Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Service indication

Caterham Kid

On my Prius Gen 3 T-Spirit under maintenance on the Nav system screen menus you could see the date when the next service was due or the number of miles remaining until the next service or oil change service. When either of those were reached you got a service due reminder message on the dashboard at start up.

I now have a Prius Gen 4 Excel (as well as the Gen 3!). Due to the fact that when I got the car (approved used) they didn't put details of the service when I purchased it in the service book I don't know when the service is due. I am fairly certain it might be but I haven't seen any service due warning at all. I haven't had it a year yet but I do a fairly high mileage.

Can anyone tell me where the feature is on the Gen 4 that is equivalent to the one on the Gen 3? I can't find it! Where is the Service due indicator?

One can download the full owners manual, which should give the information you need - https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eManual

Service intervals are 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

I have already looked at that but can't find it. Where does it tell me on the car when the service is due and how many miles (or what date) until that is due?

So how many miles have you done since purchasing the car?

Have you registered with MyToyota? If so, the service history should be included online.

Good question. Not sure but I think about 12,000. Surely a service required indicator should have come on by now?

29 minutes ago, Caterham Kid said:

Good question. Not sure but I think about 12,000. Surely a service required indicator should have come on by now?

I don't think there is one, that reminder indicator was something you set yourself and it counted down, depending what you entered etc. If you have done 12,000 miles since last service you are overdue 

You're kidding!!!???

That's a backwards step isn't it. I just don't keep that much of an eye on the odometer. I always have trip A showing. I rely on the warning popping up. looks like I am always going to miss it!

Trouble is unless I can get it done in the next couple of weeks, and I doubt they will be able to fit it in, I probably wont be able to get it done until September and by at time I will have probably added another 2000 miles!

I really didn't expect a retrograde step!

Thanks for all the quick and helpful responses by the way.

When I bought my Gen4 it was almost 22 months old with 20500, so it had just had it 2nd service. The car came with no service book, I think Toyota (probably like most manufacturers) is trying to get rid of paperwork, relying on the internet. I wrote to the dealer manager (main Toyota) and got a retro stamped book sent to me. 

Cant you remember how many miles were on the clock when you bought it?

I dont enter any details into the computer system, I know it can calculate how much the car is costing in fuel costs if I enter in how much I pay for petrol, but cant be bothered with all that.

My car breakdown plan with Start Rescue always me, if I want to , to put in MOT dates, insurance renewal etc, but car servicing may not be triggered by a date, can be triggered by mileage. 

I am into all things computerised, but I dont trust them, so have a choice of way to remember certain things. Computers can go AWOL/ 

There is no diary on the Gen 4, on the early Gen 3s (pre 2012 facelift) it was one of the apps on the car that you filled in yourself, the Gen 4 has a totally different entertainment system.

As said above, if you register your car VIN number on MyToyota it will give you all the service history, recalls and other work done on the car.

If you have done 12000 miles in it yourself and not had it serviced then you are 2000 miles overdue and I think the tolerance to keep your warranty is 1000 miles or 1 month.

I would get it serviced ASAP and then fill your car details in on Honestjohn.co.uk together with all your due dates for service, MOT, VED, insurance and breakdown cover and they will send you an email when each one is due.

• Like 1

Definitely seems like a backwards step to me. Why do I have to rely on a separate website to track it? Seems ridiculous. The Gen 3 does it perfectly well. Every car I have had for the last 20 years told me when it was time to get a service.

I think the car had about 11000 on the clock when I got it. The service book I have and it says 9000 ish when last serviced but Toyota admitted to me they hadn't put the details in the book when they serviced it before I picked it up. Not sure what it is now. About 22000 to 24000. If they cant fit it in, in the next couple of weeks it may be 4000 over by they time it gets serviced.

Sounds like a complete mess to me. If it invalidates the warranty then I will just get it serviced by my mechanic who does all my other vehicles.

Have you registered the car on My Toyota as the service history should show on there? My Toyota can be accessed either via an app or the website. You don't have to rely on an external website. 

Why didn't you get the selling dealer to retrospectively complete the service book as regards the pre-sale service?

Both the above actions would have helped you manage the car's servicing.

OK the car hasn't got a service indicator, but really the responsibility for checking whether it has or not lay with you when you first had the car, as does getting the vehicle serviced within schedule. 

As far as I'm aware, the only effect on the warranty will be if a claim is made which is dependent on correct servicing, then the claim may be refused.

• Like 1

I agree it is my responsibility but I really wasn't expecting the car not to have a service indicator and to be backwards compared to the Gen 3!

But the Gen4 has moved forward in some many other ways - ultra smooth changeover from petrol to Battery, higher speed on EV only due to more powerful Battery, lot less roar when accelerating, potentially better mpg, better coefficient of friction, better quality display, depending on model and yours being an Excel you have lot more toys, and so on.

However I understand your frustration somewhat, though the feature you love has never bothered me, I didn’t know a service reminder was on my gen3.  But what I can’t understand is when buying it you never asked “how do I get to see when a service is due”, or why you didn’t notice there was no reference to the feature in the cars manual. 

I have had a car in the past that gave a dash indication which lit when the engine oil was low - did I just rely on that light for information - absolutely NO, didn’t trust it one bit. Checking engine oil is MY responsibility, some things are, you been bit on the bum in a big way.

• Like 1

If you bought from a Toyota dealer I am amazed they aren't contacting you proactively - Ours has always rung us about 2 months before they think it is due to confirm a booking and courtesy car or collection and delivery. This is our third hybrid and all have received this service. 

I do not doubt a quick phone call to the service department will sort out your service requirements, and if your warranty is at risk they should fit it in as a priority.

OOI we have also taken out the monthly service payment plan which also has a record of mileage and, when combined with the warranty, means we only have to worry about tyres, exhausts and brakes. It is managed by a third party company so when we sell the car any unused payments are refunded or transferred to the replacement - irrespective of make.

Cheers

Tony B

Hi be aware if you cancel the service contact some providers take a sizeable fee or doing so.

I always thought this was a daft feature on my old third gen Prius. Not surprised they ditched it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seamaster73 said:

I always thought this was a daft feature on my old third gen Prius. Not surprised they ditched it.

Really? I thought it was perfect!

I assumed it would be like the service indicator on my old Merc, where the car advises you when it’s due based not just on time, mileage etc but also factoring in the kind of driving that the car has been subjected to. The Toyota version requires you to just manually enter a reminder. You could put that in your diary!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seamaster73 said:

I assumed it would be like the service indicator on my old Merc, where the car advises you when it’s due based not just on time, mileage etc but also factoring in the kind of driving that the car has been subjected to. The Toyota version requires you to just manually enter a reminder. You could put that in your diary!

I do quite a lot of miles (150 miles round trip to work) so for me the date is rarely an issue. The mileage is the key and on the previous system it was just set to 10,000 miles following a service and you could see how many miles left until the service was due which allowed time to plan and book it. I rarely look at the vehicle total mileage as it is not on permanent display which in itself seems a bit strange.

Every time you turn the car off the odometer is displayed on the MFD screen. It's not difficult to work out when the next service is due, by just looking at the odometer each time you turn off the car, when it's a 10,000 mile interval is it. 🙄

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 9:32 PM, kithmo said:

Every time you turn the car off the odometer is displayed on the MFD screen. It's not difficult to work out when the next service is due, by just looking at the odometer each time you turn off the car, when it's a 10,000 mile interval is it. 🙄

What he said.

• Like 1