Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Range decreases while using EV

tfgc

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask why the range decreases while the car is using EV mode?

I know the range is just a estimation but should be calculated only based on gas and counting eletric kilometers. Am I right?

Best Regards,

Would have thought the range would be a combined estimation of the two modes.

As I understand, the estimated range is to indicate how far the CAR would go IF driven in a similar manner as recent, and that would take into account terrain as well as use of throttle ie if you going to start flooring it going up steep hills the estimated range would be lower then if you were on the flat being light footed. 

Range is a facility that should be used as advice and not gospel.

Range as a readout is pointless with our Yaris Hybrid.  Absolutely pointless and way usually too low.  It doesn't seem to use a recent fuel consumption at all, and consequently, I've not been interested in it in the slightest.

Last car we had was a Renault Clio.  You reset the average fuel consumption reading and it started again, and that reading was also transferred to the range reading. There seems to be no way to reset anything to do with range on our Yaris.  Trip yes, and that gives an average mpg, yes.  Range doesn't seem to correspond so I've given up.

Mick.

PS:

Found this from a while back, me asking this question, and finding that I should disconnect the 12v Battery to reset the range.

Mick.

PS:
Found this from a while back, me asking this question, and finding that I should disconnect the 12v battery to reset the range.
Mick.

I’ll throw in opinion now and say, like the average mpg, the range is more like an optimistic target. It also depends on the fuel level and it not a precise measurement, it can give a false reading and then show a more precise reading. I have seen the same effect with my hybrid.
The range starts off at 573 and when it shows about 40, moments later it shows - - - . When I fill up I still have 7 to 9 litres left if the owners manis correct and the pump is correct. So from that I would say it is possible to get the original estimate for the range, but I don’t want to put the theory to 5he test.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just this very moment been out to check.  Filled the tank to the brim this afternoon.

Range shows 373miles.

Full tank of 7.9 imp galls according to the handbook.  This means that the car thinks it does 47.2mpg.  😡

Rubbish!!!!

Mick.

Just this very moment been out to check.  Filled the tank to the brim this afternoon.
Range shows 373miles.
Full tank of 7.9 imp galls according to the handbook.  This means that the car thinks it does 47.2mpg.  [emoji35]
Rubbish!!!!
Mick.

When we had the 2013 Yaris hybrid we got about the same, but then I was lazy and used cruise control more often and the trips we did weren’t ideal. According to fuely website it did better than the Auris I had.

Now with my third hybrid I use the same amount of fuel but get 470 miles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 7/6/2019 at 9:15 PM, Mick F said:

Range shows 373miles.

Just driven 58miles to Camelford and back on Grandson Duties, and range now says 291miles.  Where did that come from?

At home, I reset all the trip information.  There's absolutely no way that you can reset the range or the average speed.  Why not?  First car we've ever owned with a trip computer that you can't.

Is the only way to do it, that you have to disconnect the 12v Battery?  Is that 35mph average speed since the car was new 40,000miles and four years ago?  Is this information for the life of the car?

Why on God's Earth can't you manually reset it?

Mick.

IMG_0308.jpg

My mistake a bit.  Sorry.

I can reset the average speed as well as the average fuel consumption ...................... but ...............

The handbook says that the Range is calculated from your average fuel consumption.  Why does it always show way too low?

Off out again this afternoon and as I've reset the Average Fuel Consumption, it should give me a reasonable range figure.  If I were to reset again on a very flat bit of road and drive very gently and in EV for as much as possible, the range should go sky high ............ but it won't.  It'll remain where it is until it becomes less than the figure shown.

•  Average fuel consumption

Displays the average rate of fuel consumption.

• The function can be reset by pressing the button for longer than 1 sec-

ond when the average fuel consumption is displayed.

• Use the displayed average fuel consumption as a reference.

•  Driving range

Displays the estimated maximum distance that can be driven with the quantity of fuel remaining.

• This distance is computed based on your average fuel consumption. As a result, the actual distance that can be driven may differ from that dis- played.

Range and average MPG vary wildly if you keep resetting it over short distances, it's not designed for that. On another forum an electronic engineer did explain how difficult a calculation it is with all sorts of algorithms being used, so at best it should be used as an estimate. I never use range as an indication, I always refuel when the gauge gets low. If you really run low on fuel the range will get to ZERO but you still wont be out of fuel 

44 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

Range and average MPG vary wildly if you keep resetting it over short distances, it's not designed for that. On another forum an electronic engineer did explain how difficult a calculation it is with all sorts of algorithms being used, so at best it should be used as an estimate. I never use range as an indication, I always refuel when the gauge gets low. If you really run low on fuel the range will get to ZERO but you still wont be out of fuel 

Utterly agree on all you say.

What I don't understand are two issues.

One, the Range and Average Fuel Consumption are at odds with each other.  Two, why can the other cars that I've owned with trip computers cope easily? viz Renault Clio and Fiat500.  Yes, Range was a bit pointless if you reset frequently, but at least they were equivalent to the average fuel consumption and tank contents.

I'll be out again later with it all reset.  60odd miles to drive out and back.  The fuel level indicator is just off the top mark and we've done less than 100miles since topping right up.  I reckon there could easily be 7gals in there and even at 55mpg should give a range of nearly 400miles.  I'd settle for 350miles indicated.

I'll report back this evening.

Mick.

Facts after today.

Since filling to the brim on Friday, we've done a total of 148miles.  This afternoon I reset the trip info, and drove to Camelford and back.  The car returned 58.1mpg for the 59.8miles.  Call it 60miles @ 58mpg.

This afternoon  Range was showing 289miles.  On return from Camelford, it showed 237miles = 52miles difference for the 60miles?

If we filled to the brim on Friday and the tank has a capacity of 7.9gals, we must/could at 58mpg have range of 458miles, but considering that the range was at 289miles when we left this afternoon, it should have been @58mpg 7.9gals minus 2.55gals = 5.35gals @ 58mpg = 310miles = difference of 73miles from displayed.

Complicated eh?  Why can other cars do it and our Yaris can't?

It doesn't matter really, so why have the info available if it's not valid?  Just disable it instead.

Mick.

How do you reset the range calculation?