Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 Rav4 spare wheel

Ezcritique

Hi... Still awaiting delivery of my much anticipated Awd Excel... To those fortunate enough to be in receipt of their vehicles, what is the  raic with the spare? 

Full size? Space saver? Or silly kit thing as standard? 

8 hours ago, Ezcritique said:

...Full size? Space saver? Or silly kit thing as standard?

Most get space saver, if you have the panoramic moon roof you get the gunge.

I've had a quote for a matching silver alloy spare for my Excel (£318.08) and am about to order once I've had clarification from my dealer about a tyre query.

The spare will be a black alloy space saver. If you buy a full size spare it fits ok after removing the packing pieces under the space saver.

if your car has Dunlop Grandtek PT30 tyres then a new matching spare tyre is very expensive. Stapletons are a tyre wholesaler who have limited stock of these tyres for shipping to Toyota dealers only but I beleve around £250 each. Your dealer may let you have one at trade price at about £170. 

If you need 1 for your spare I have 3 available to buy with only 280 miles use as I had them removed from my AWD Excel and fitted Cross Climates. 

I've now ordered a 5th Bridgestone Alenza (£136.24) to use with the silver alloy full sized spare wheel and a TPMS sensor (£80.12).

Tomfromfife: My dealer is happy the spare with sensor will work with the car's ECUs (to be confirmed!!)

I've also ordered 5 Vredestein all-season tyres for winter months.  I'll rotate the Alenzas until they are down to about 3 mm, then retire them and just use the Vredesteins in future - hopefully, I won't buy any more tyres for a few years (baring accidents).

My dealer will store the tyres not being used and swap them each October/March until the summer ones are retired.

On 7/7/2019 at 1:19 AM, Ezcritique said:

Craic

A full size alloy spare with TPMS for £80.12??? Or was that just the sensor? 

Sounds like you have a great dealer in that they will store and swap your tyres for you. 

Thanks for the reply

Actually just reread your prev post £300+ for matching alloy... 😮

Sorry, I didn't give wheel price because I'd mentioned it earlier, but realise now that was in a different thread.  Wheel is £318.08.

For my last two cars they charged a one-off £40 incl vat to set up the storage facility then no further charge, plus £30 a time to swap four tyres including vat, valve and balancing.  I expect to pay a bit more than £30 now as it's going to be 5 tyres to swap, but still very reasonable.  I drop the car, get a nice breakfast at the hotel next door (sometimes joined by my Services Manager and Salesman) and by the time I'm full the car's ready.  Yes, a great dealer.

oops - so it was in this thread - been a long day! 🙄

I like the storage facility and very reasonably priced too, I'll try my local dealer and see what they say, hopefully a similar outcome and I can always show your post in support.... Thanks again.... Not in Hampshire by any chance?? 

1 minute ago, Ezcritique said:

... Not in Hampshire by any chance?? 

dealer's in Norwich!

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/7/2019 at 9:25 AM, PeteB said:

Most get space saver, if you have the panoramic moon roof you get the gunge.

I've had a quote for a matching silver alloy spare for my Excel (£318.08) and am about to order once I've had clarification from my dealer about a tyre query.

Hi Guys

my mum & dad recently got the dynamic with panoramic roof. He was disappointed he didn’t get a spare wheel and is determined to get one. I’ve asked Toyota is there any way we can get one - but they’ve just said a straight no. Does anyone know is there any reason why you can’t have a spare wheel with the panoramic roof? And where would I get one?

thanks in advance 

7 minutes ago, BernG said:

Hi Guys

my mum & dad recently got the dynamic with panoramic roof. He was disappointed he didn’t get a spare wheel and is determined to get one. I’ve asked Toyota is there any way we can get one - but they’ve just said a straight no. Does anyone know is there any reason why you can’t have a spare wheel with the panoramic roof? And where would I get one?

thanks in advance 

To do with emissions and weight.

Interesting. They didn’t provide any explanation - I was surprised they wouldn’t even give us the option to buy one afterwards?

Hi, I just bought a new full sized spare wheel with a matching tyre and store it vertically in the back of my Rav sandwiched in between the back seat and the horizontal bar behind.

Regards. Mike.

Thanks Mike - where did you get it? I guess then a full sized wheel won’t fit in the normal storage place then. 

Hi Bernard.

My Rav is older than yours, I bought mine years ago with less than 2000 on the clock, still not done 18,000 miles yet so our models are different so i'm afraid I cannot comment on your question.

I wish you luck with your new car.

Mike.

1 hour ago, BernG said:

Thanks Mike - where did you get it? I guess then a full sized wheel won’t fit in the normal storage place then. 

Yes it does - a few of us have bought a full size, matching alloy 18" spare for a 2019 RAV (mine's an Excel with the silver wheels) and it fits just fine under the boot floor (with no room to spare though, so you can't put the floor in the lower position with a full size spare installed, but I'm fine with that).

Thanks Pete. 
where did you get your wheel? Obviously we have the black ones for the dynamic. 

and did you manage to pick up a Toyota jack to fit into the wheel (or did you have to use your own jack). 

thank you 

This is the part number for the 18 inch chrome wheel... 4261A-42140

Just order it by part number.

I don’t think Toyota should be dictating whether you can or cannot have a full size spare once you have purchased the car. It’s sold as having off-road capability so should have a full size spare anyway. 

557EF778-06D1-407C-8E49-F8F9B6538B02.jpeg

It seems fairly common from several manufacturers not to have a spare if a panoramic roof / moon roof.  My daughter has just bought a Land Rover Discovery and they have no spare.

11 minutes ago, Tomfromfife said:

This is the part number for the 18 inch chrome wheel... 4261A-42140

Just order it by part number.

I don’t think Toyota should be dictating whether you can or cannot have a full size spare once you have purchased the car. It’s sold as having off-road capability so should have a full size spare anyway. 

557EF778-06D1-407C-8E49-F8F9B6538B02.jpeg

Thank you Tom. Just need the part number for the black wheel then. 

I presume we could just order a jack as well from Toyota (though might be hard to get hold of the foam padding it sits in!)

The dealer gave me the impression that there was no spare wheel because of a motor or something relating to the roof in the spare wheel area 

9 minutes ago, gavioliuk said:

It seems fairly common from several manufacturers not to have a spare if a panoramic roof / moon roof.  My daughter has just bought a Land Rover Discovery and they have no spare.

Thanks Gav

5 minutes ago, BernG said:

The dealer gave me the impression that there was no spare wheel because of a motor or something relating to the roof in the spare wheel area 

As someone else posted recently, it's a weight thing - apparently the panoramic roof adds enough weight to give a problem with a target that matters for CO2 or something, so they save a bit somewhere else.

I'm glad I don't like sun roofs, because it suggests to me that by adding weight at the top of the car and removing some near the bottom, it's not exactly helping keep the centre of gravity as low as possible (I wonder if the car in the moose test videos had the pan roof...).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BernG said:

where did you get your wheel? Obviously we have the black ones for the dynamic. 

and did you manage to pick up a Toyota jack to fit into the wheel (or did you have to use your own jack).

My dealer supplied it.  As I already had the space saver, I had all the tools.  Should be no problem ordering a wheel that matches what's already on the car as the system will list it as a kosher spare part - after all, wheels can get damaged.  With a matching Bridgestone tyre, on only cost a few more pounds than the space saver with a tyre fitted!

[if anyone wants to make an offer for my unused space saver, PM me - I'd be happy to drive up to about 50 miles from Ipswich, Norwich or Gt Yarmouth to meet up to pass it over].