Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 2014 hybrid vibrating

terotero

Hello. I have a shaking problem with my Auris hybrid 2013. I just bought It and now It has been driven 135000 km. I called last owner and he said that It has shaked allready when he bought IT 2 years and 50000 kilometers ago. It can also be at he lies because he trade  this car to shop so he probpably doesnt want any problems afterwards.
IT happens when i drive it. It does not matter am i accelerating or driving neutral or braking. It is lighty worse If i turn a little right or left. IT Start to feel just a low speed and it is worse If I drive fast.  Something IS shaking. IT mainly feel on body and seat. But it feels a little on steering wheel also If I corner.  It is tapping noise and Car is like hopping a little but all the time. If  i brake i cant feel it on brake pedal or wheel
It is not wheel or tyres problem because i check those with Hunter Road force Tire balancing machine and all IS fine. Also when I turn wheels all left or right and drive right turn in parking place IT IS fine.
Has these hybrid had inner CV joint problems because i believe that problem can be there?. Rubbers boots are ok In CV joints

I have done 4- wheel aligment and it was fine and changed shock absorbers and front upper mount for shock absorbers. I guess that rotors are ok, just a few (3-5) Hundreds of millimeters bending rear

Does it happen on nice flat roads also?

Could it be the exhaust hitting the body, or it's harder shaking, like whole car is shaking?

This tapping sound you get.  Is it a metalic sound?

My first thoughts were a fault with a tyre, perhaps a tread delaminating which wouldn't be obvious on visual inspection, despite you saying the tyres have been checked.  If the problem has been going on for a long time, then presumably the noise/vibration was there even with the previous set of tyres?

Have you checked the wheels for damage?  Are they the genuine wheels for the car?

It is happening also on flat good Road. IT IS not metallic sound and whole car is shaking. i feel IT also If take My hands of steering wheel so its mainly body shake. IT Will Start at low speed and getting worse when i drive faster. Wheels and tyres should Be fine. Wheel has under 1 mm radial runout and I checked those with Hunter Road force Tyre balancing machine and everything was fine. Road force Variston was 2-6 kg and it is very low.

And tyres are new Goodyear efficient grip performance and i have balanced those twice. Car was also shaking with old tyres witch I also balanced once.

If you had a problem with CV joint it should be only while accelerating or breaking as it would use regenerative breaking, so there would be some force applied.

How well did you inspect the rubber boot? Maybe you had  a small tear during winter that washed out the grease and the salt + water destroyed the bearings.

You say you feel it a bit when you corner, is this when you corner both left and right, or just one way?

Have you tried inspecting the cv joint for play other than visual inspection (in case you feel it when cornering on one side only, so that side) ?

From the description I think CV joint is most likely.

25 minutes ago, furtula said:

If you had a problem with CV joint it should be only while accelerating or breaking as it would use regenerative breaking, so there would be some force applied.

How well did you inspect the rubber boot? Maybe you had  a small tear during winter that washed out the grease and the salt + water destroyed the bearings.

You say you feel it a bit when you corner, is this when you corner both left and right, or just one way?

Have you tried inspecting the cv joint for play other than visual inspection (in case you feel it when cornering on one side only, so that side) ?

I know that CV joints problem should come when you put torque to CV axle and that IS why i am asking IS IT Even possible without any load.   I just take off plastic cover plate bottom of front end and try to twist CV joint by hand. I guess that maybe there was some extra radius play on passengers side inner joint in some position when I rotated IT but I am not sure how much is acceptable. I just made visual chekking for boots and those look good and original. Not any fresh grease outside.There was a little dry dirt over left inner joint boot. i remember IT because i wanted to check are boots original and i had to clean it near to boot clamp.

I can feel tapping and More shaking when I drive like 40-100 km-h and turning left and right so IT doesnt Make big digference. Maybe right is Little bit worse. But like i wroted If I Make a full cornering on parking place and driving circle it is quite normal.

4 minutes ago, mrfixer said:

Can it be inner  because this is quite different than normal outer CV joints symptoms?

I know that Auris IS not premium car but If you cant drive 100 km/h without fearing that something Will blow it IS not right

I also meant the inner CV side, closer to the transmission.

Try getting the car jacked up, so that wheel is free to move, and move the CV joint around for any play.

Might be worth prying at all the suspension ball joints and bushes just in case something is sloppy. I know it's not logical to your symptoms but sometimes these things aren't logical

Hi, inner CV Joints most likely, has the symptoms but you can’t always see that without taking them out clean them and inspect properly. All engine transmission mounts needs to be checked too. I am witnessing same situation on various Auris 2013-2018 but petrol and diesel variants never till now on hybrid version. I don’t know 100% what is it but seems it’s something that is not easy to find out unless taking a car apart and close inspection on all moving components, maybe wheel bearings. 

I have to try check CV joint better and open those

Here in Finland we have routine inspection once per year when they check whole car ball joints and bushes and It has done just before I bought car 2 months ago. Also when car was on 4- wheel aligment month ago they checked It.

I have Been thinking that IT can Be wheel bearing because I can hear extra noise when speed IS over40 km-h but IT doesnt change at all when I turn steering wheel and I cant found any play . Also i dont feel any vibration in spring when I am spinning wheel car lifted up. And sound is quite low requency. Like Tyre noise.

Tonyhsd. You mean by same situation that There IS vibration and nobody cant find why or because of CV joints?

Sorry My Bad english.

23 hours ago, mrfixer said:

Today they checked and drive My car in toyota dealer where i bought it. They Said that IT feels like normal Toyota but maybe you have too much Air on tyres.

I have 2.6 bar and tyres are 205/50 r17. Not too much on My opinion. Sometimes i have used 2.3 bar because car IS not shaking too much. This is premier Model and original tyres are 225/45 r17 so I think that IT should Be Even More pleasant.

For me it IS hard to believe that Auris has been so uncomfortable when it has been new.

I Will test drive other Auris witch has been driven only 50000 km before I believe that My car feels normal.

After that I guess that I have to open those CV joints If other Auris feels better.

Hi, it is a strange thing all together getting vibrations on not that old car in general. I have experienced same vibration in Auris 2013 1.4 diesel , and same year 1.6 petrol. Non in a hybrid version. The vibration was presented when you drive with over 40mph 60km/h and felt mostly on car body on the seats, and pedals plus some on steering wheel even rear view mirror. Tyres and everything was checked and on visual inspection was found nothing wrong. Exactly same with both cars, we could not fixed at the time and the cars has gone for good. I think it’s something to do with cv joints, wheels bearings, or bearings inside the transmission, and possibly engine mounts. All those components needs a proper inspection, that is expensive and takes time so many people will just sell the car and move on, until someone has decided to go ahead and find what exactly is the cause of the problem. 

Regards 

Ok. I have heard that Toyota had has vibration problem with multidrive cvt transmission.

The Auris hybrid does not have multidrive transmission, it has the same cvt as the Prius range, which is e cvt. Never read of any vibration problem with e cvt units - solid as a rock I think.

• Like 1

I know that hybrid transmission is e cvt witch include planeetat Gear and its totaly different than multidrive. I wroted that because tonyhsd have had vibration problem with not e cvt toyota

Hi, yes my cars where manuals both, 

this is an ultra difficult problem to solve, because can’t be easily found what is the cause in first place. It will be very costly and time consuming process and most of the garages will have a look for a faulty parts that can be bolt on easy replacement, but the issue may laying somewhere hidden where more experience and time are required. Best option is if you have  a friend mechanic who is willing to spend some time under the car and get close inspection on

Engine mounts 

cv joints plus there is a rubber shaft damper , make sure is there and intact 

wheel bearings

Those 3 above are similar on all variants , petrol, diesel and hybrid, and can well being a reason for that nasty vibration. Suspension all parts that move, rubber bushes everything, needs check, double check. 

In my cases with vibrations on both two cars they were very low miles, 22k and 40k, which makes me suspect that there might be an issue with those cars since they been new, maybe faulty parts installed, there is always a possibility some bad batch of parts along the supply chain. But if garage technicians try to explain to you that this is normal, don’t agree with them, it is not. If all Toyotas are vibrating people won’t buy them and won’t be popular, especially hybrids are silky smooth.

i hope you will find the problem and fix your car soon. Maybe it’s something small, even funny but it’s not funny finding it. Can be just a new lubricant on the cv joint all it needs. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. I solved this problem  by buying new Corolla hybrid and givi g them My auris. I guess that IT was easiest way. I asked My local Toyota shop to check IT. They checked and drive IT and says that IT IS normal Auris. I drive other Auris witch was newer and 100 tkm less driven.  It didn't feel lot better. Biggest difference was that My Auris Goes always Power Area on rpm when I touch gas pedal. Even Tiny uphill or going to highway quite slow. This feels better and at least i have guarantee. Thanks a lot for helping.

• Like 1

Well done, smart move imo. The second gen Auris is really a car that is worse than the gen 1 that replaced. I personally think to skip that model and whenever time comes for replacement of my gen 1 Auris I will buy Corolla or Prius or Camry but never again gen 2 Auris , I had bad experience with them too. 

Good luck and many trouble free miles 👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links