Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 1.6 d4d 2016 warranty

IonutMaxim

CHECK PARKING BRAKE SYSTEM came on the dashboard, along with engine warning light, master warning, break pads light.

Car is 28k miles, 1.6 d4d, I am using it in weekends as a taxi since April 2019, done cca 4000 miles as a taxi.

Took it to Toyota, they said that the fault doesn't have to do with the breaks, is just to make the owner bringing the car in.

Diagnosis: MAP filter had to be cleaned 

It happened 3 times in 2 weeks. Warning came back after couple of miles each time after taking it to Toyota.

3rd time they are saying that the manifold is clogged with carbon, cannot be cleaned, replacement is very expensive and basically they advised me to part exchange the car.

They are blaming on the fact that I use it as a taxi. I don't use start/stop, always changing gears at  at least 2000rpm, at least 150 miles motorway weekly.

Are they right saying that the warranty doesn't cover the job?

Any thoughts on what my options are?

Many thanks in advance.

It seems very harsh if you do regular long runs on the motorway. Do you spend a lot of time sitting still with the engine running? I have the same car and have done 70000 with no problem, but I do a 100 mile a day commute on motorways. I put the cruise on about 65mph so it is doing less than 2000 revs. I have to say I have not ben impressed with Toyota dealers. There first reaction to a problem I had was to tell me I needed a £120 diagnostic check, and the cost would only be covered if they submitted a warranty claim.

If Toyota will not help, Google Terraclean. I have friends that have used them and say it solved their problems

If you want to try Terraclean as suggested above, search this forum, there have been couple of topics on that subjects with extensive details on before and after.

1 hour ago, 333max said:

There first reaction to a problem I had was to tell me I needed a £120 diagnostic check, and the cost would only be covered if they submitted a warranty claim.

This is common regardless of marque. It is the only way the dealer can recover their costs if the issue isn't covered under warranty.

On 7/8/2019 at 9:23 PM, IonutMaxim said:

3rdtime they are saying that the manifold is clogged with carbon, cannot be cleaned, replacement is very expensive and basically they advised me to part exchange the car.

Well, that is a load of bull, if they really told you that. Except for the expensive part of it. I can well believe that they would overcharge and make it expensive. And a new manifold as a spare part would likely be quite spendy compared to a second hand one. It is quite unlikely that you would need a new one. They do crack at times, so not impossible, but they absolutely can be cleaned as they are basically just lumps of heavy gauge metal pipework.

That may be the case when you are doing it DIY, but as a business, you don't want to be stripping the manifold, cleaning it, putting it back on only for the same fault to happen down the road. You need to be sure as a business that you are not doing the job twice without payment for your techs time. These are not an easy job to do on the 1WW 2WW engine, you don't want to be doing it twice

They have quoted me 2.5k for a full repair.

Also said that they are not trying to clean, as it will be quickly building up again, they just replace all the parts with new ones.

This is the response to my case open Toyota Costumer Service. They've just replied to me now.

"Hello Ionut

Thank you for your social media message regarding your Toyota Avensis. I have spoken to Johnsons Toyota (Liverpool) and they have advised your vehicle has excessive carbon build up, this is not something that is covered under our warranty as it is classed and general everyday wear and tear.

On your 1st visit the Johnsons advised that they had cleaned the MAP sensor, however if the fault returns they advised you will require further diagnosis as it is possibly related to carbon build up. Yesterday Johnsons confirmed the excessive carbon build up within your vehicle."

They have recommended you speak to their Sales Team as they feel in your line of work a Hybrid would suit you better.

In reading the comments from Johnsons Toyota (Liverpool) we would be unable to assist any further in this case, if you are still unhappy with this outcome you are welcome to contact the Motor Ombudsman"

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links